Crawdaddy

First "Family" desert trip of the season

Wait a minute, did I hear something about ball room dancing in the desert?? Now this I have to see!! :rolleyes:

Well the girls won't be there, but I will probably come out and visit your camp on Saturday Chris. Does anyone know the best time to watch launches. I looked on the rocket site, but didn't see a time schedule for different launches. I would be interested in seeing the drag race and x15 stuff. Ken

Well the girls won't be there, but I will probably come out and visit your camp on Saturday Chris. Does anyone know the best time to watch launches. I looked on the rocket site, but didn't see a time schedule for different launches. I would be interested in seeing the drag race and x15 stuff. Ken

Ron (Slowdown) will have the complete details on the rocket schedules.....he's pretty active with that group......

Toybox is loaded with 3 bikes and the quad(tard).......perfumed the little pig (WR250R) with new tires, pipe, fuel programmer, Fat bar, blah, blah, blah.........time to conduct "field testing" on my little gutless wonder (though the open desert isn't really it's element......at least I'll be abe to tinker with the suspension settings a bit)........plan to be outta here no later than 3pm (hopefully sooner)

WR250Toybox.jpg

Chris,

You look geared for FUN. I was planning on joining Captcham in the Carrizo Valley but my KTM developed the Fuel Tank Leak Blues. No, not the flu, the Fuel Tank Leaking on the Exhaust Blues. I was planning a route around Carrizo Mountain thru Ocotillo to Superstition.

The moon is coming up pretty late so enjoy the sky.

Dave

477211752_3Z7KV-L.jpg

Dangit Dave, you jinxed me. I was all loaded up, tracks downloaded ready to ride, after a couple hours of getting my stuff together. Now I am down at the shop again draining my leaking fuel tank and unloading my stuff and putting it away. B)

I will have to get a replacement tank sent out on Monday.

If the girls are bored tomorrow, I will drive them out there in the truck to watch the rockets. B) Ken

TLKing6 and I will be in Ocotillo Wells and ride over to Superstition on one of our rounds Sat.

cdaddy right on for hanging out sharing a few cold ones. We'll see how the 300 is doing when I take it apart.

The base gasket leaked after my rebuild and I lost all coolant on the way from blue inn to sups. Rode about 15 miles with no water before the head seal\orings melted.

cdaddy right on for hanging out sharing a few cold ones. We'll see how the 300 is doing when I take it apart.

Good to see you, Briana, Alex and Josh - thanks for swinging by......also thanks to SDLineman/Slowdown/Audible and friends for joining me in camp.....

Had a blast “field testing” the little bike this weekend…….Some observations:

- The stock gearing is fine for “desert season” .......even in tall/street 13/43 mode I can creep along easily/slow in the technical sections on the WR250R without abusing the clutch…….and I want the top end (such as it is) for the wide open stretches/spaces......I’ll probably drop to a 12T up front when I head to the mountains this Spring

- Set up the suspension with best guesstimate for my weight/riding style………pleasantly surprised by stock suspension……not overly harsh or mushy......

- The Dubach exhaust is NOT loud (IMHO) even without the quiet core…..it still whispers when measured against my fully stock/KTM cans

- I haven’t messed with the FMF PP mapping yet…….just running on stock set-up at the moment

If we take the serious/steep/soft dunes out of the equation, the little 250 did just fine…..better than fine……I had a blast! (I rode some of the the big sandy stuff on the 250 but it's no match for my KTM 520 in that one element - that's ok, I didn't buy this bike to assault the dunes)……so dunes aside, I had a blast romping about on the WR250R……my Sidi boots have already marred up the frame pretty good next to/above the pegs……shattered the left mirror when the bike tipped over in the toybox on the way home (whoops…….irritating but that’s ok, I was looking to replace the rabbit ear/stock mirrors anyway)……the little Yami is starting to look and feel more and more like a dirt bike……I LIKE it!

the 300 looks good inside. cylinder is not scored. All the rubber orings melted, but the nikasil is fine. I think the only reason it stopped was the head oring finally blew and lost compression. the extra 5$ for synthetic premix seems like a bargain right now. Guess I'm back to riding 4 stroke again for now :rolleyes:

the 300 looks good inside. cylinder is not scored. All the rubber orings melted, but the nikasil is fine. I think the only reason it stopped was the head oring finally blew and lost compression. the extra 5$ for synthetic premix seems like a bargain right now. Guess I'm back to riding 4 stroke again for now :rolleyes:

Good News!

Yay, only minor damage. I thought for sure the piston would be gone. So The work you have to do is almost no more than if you just had to replace the leaking gasket, just as you had thought.

Those KTM 300's seem to be built well.

The base gasket leaked after my rebuild and I lost all coolant on the way from blue inn to sups. Rode about 15 miles with no water before the head seal\orings melted.

Good to meet you...sorry about the bike. Just read next post, glad it's not bad. Still a bummer though. :rolleyes:

Todd and I stopped by for some shade! Sorry we missed ya!

cdiddycamp.jpg

What, no cooler left out for you guys? Rude daddy. :rolleyes:

Todd and I stopped by for some shade! Sorry we missed ya!

Thanks for stopping by.........my friend Dave told me you came by while we were down at the Plaster Blaster event on Sat morning........some pretty cool rockets.......I'd never been to a rocket event before........there was also a truck race going on which caused us to re-route a bit......we were gone a bit longer than originally planned......