Crawdaddy

First "Family" desert trip of the season

Kathy and I will be making our first trip of the season the weekend of Nov. 6-8 ........mellow/family trip with quad tards/kids..........you're welcome to camp with us and do your own thing during the day or stop by and say hello if you'll be out there......(put the 14T counter sprocket back on the 520 this morning along with a fresh Maxxis....I'm ready!/it's ready!)

Go to THIS OLD THREAD for directions to our usual camp area........it's out by the dune wall waaaaay out/around Wheeler Rd near the "Rabbit's Foot Trail" in the map below (SE corner)

SuperstitionMap.jpg

Speaking of the family theme, this photo of my friend George's son and daughter always cracks me up.... :lol:

georgekids.jpg

Maybe we'll see ya out there..... ;)

Bah, that's the Lake Elsinore Race weekend!!

Guess I'll have to represent Crawdad racing solo!

Hey Chris,

I'll be out at Ocotillo that weekend. Do you have coords for your campsite? I'll plug them in and ride over and say hi!

Do you have coords for your campsite? I'll plug them in and ride over and say hi!

We're usually somewhere in this neighborhood: N32 56.231 W115 47.316

Jon and I will be at Ocotillo/Plaster City that weekend but we will ride over when we can to hook up for a ride.

Jon and I will be at Ocotillo/Plaster City that weekend but we will ride over when we can to hook up for a ride.

If you're in the Plaster City area(East) the rocket nerds will be doing "Plaster Blaster" that weekend. Always good entertainment and spectators are welcome. We were always happy when the off-roaders brought back our expensive rockets.

Check it our here: http://www.plasterblaster.com/projects.html

Phill

...... the rocket nerds will be doing "Plaster Blaster" that weekend.....

Did you notice Ron's Avatar?? ;) - He IS one of those rocket nerds!!! :):lol:

...... the rocket nerds will be doing "Plaster Blaster" that weekend.....

Did you notice Ron's Avatar?? ;) - He IS one of those rocket nerds!!! :):lol:

Ya...I know Ron. I wanted to see if he'd notice my post. :=}

Phill

I actually got on the computer tonight to post that we were going to head out that same weekend. I saw the "rocket nerds" at the air show and thought it sounded like a good show, especially for the kids. I've never been to plaster city, is it kid friendly terrain? Can you ride from Superstition to Plaster City? How far is it? Obviously I haven't decided where we are camping yet, I have a few friends that haven't decided if they are going or not, so I guess I'll have to wait for that.

I actually got on the computer tonight to post that we were going to head out that same weekend. I saw the "rocket nerds" at the air show and thought it sounded like a good show, especially for the kids. I've never been to plaster city, is it kid friendly terrain? Can you ride from Superstition to Plaster City? How far is it? Obviously I haven't decided where we are camping yet, I have a few friends that haven't decided if they are going or not, so I guess I'll have to wait for that.

From Superstition it's an easy ride to Plaster City. Depending on where you camp in Sup it should be 5-10 miles to the plaster plant. I think the rocket dudes are usually to the northeast of the plant a bit? I may make it for a day or quick overnight trip.

Plaster is very kid friendly with open flat areas and mixed terrain. The rockets are fun to watch and the rocketeers appreciate a "recovery vehicle" sometimes. Gave one a guy a ride in my (former) buggy when I saw him walking......rocket was a mile away.

Do I know you Uncle Phill? I used to launch a lot with the SD guys -- until I learned how to roll my own motors.

Now I have to travel to NoNV to fly my rockets. CA is very backward on allowing its citizens the freedom to fly.

I'm going to PB primarily to help out. I'm going to move my RSO times to Friday and move camp to Superstition. Then bike over for the Delta and X-15 flights.

Ron

Chris, do you use 4wd when you pull your toy hauler to your camp spot? I remember it being pretty sandy where you were camped last time, and I only have a 2wd. Ken

Chris, do you use 4wd when you pull your toy hauler to your camp spot? I remember it being pretty sandy where you were camped last time, and I only have a 2wd. Ken

NO 4wd necessary, it's all hardpack......about the only time I use my 4wd drive is when I'm trying to pull my toybox in or out of my backyard after a good rain! <_<

Morning Chris,

Dave and I will be there with our 400cc couches............ :unsure: Going put in some fresh dino-lube and be ready to hit the trail.

Hi Chris

Tish and I are In. We teach our Ballroom class on Friday nights so we can't come out until Sat morning.

What is the best route from Escondido?

Don

What is the best route from Escondido?

78 to Westmorland - Make a right (south) at the 4 way stop sign (Center St.)

Travel south 7.7 miles and make a right on Imler

Travel west 7.9 miles and make a right on Wheeler (dirt road)

Should be pretty easy to find us....zero out the trip meter in your truck when you turn onto Wheeler Road......head out about ~8.5 miles (the road bends to the right after about 7 miles) and hang a hard left........we'll be in that general vicinity set up near a long dune wall - Blue Dodge Ram pulling White Layton Rampage Toybox - See photo below for picture of dune wall/truck/toybox

SuperstitionNewYears010.jpg

Hey Crawdaddy, it looks like my son Robert and I are going to be by ourselves this weekend- do you still have room for our rig in your camp? We'll probably just cruise over to the rockets both days, but I can bring plenty of firewood, some adult beverages and stuff for smores for the evening. :unsure:

We were out there last weekend and had a blast. I may ride again Sunday. Nothing like trying to balance a two stroke without a stabilizer in deep sand dunes. The higher up the mountain you go, the tougher it becomes. It looks easy from a distance, but you have to hit those dunes with just the right amount of speed and balance. It really helps to know how to read dunes (which I don't) or know them to avoid steep drop offs. Riding dunes can be a workout. Fun stuff. The whoops along the train tracks and Pole line road are easier than the sand, trails, and dunes near the Mountain IMO.

Hey Crawdaddy, it looks like my son Robert and I are going to be by ourselves this weekend- do you still have room for our rig in your camp? We'll probably just cruise over to the rockets both days, but I can bring plenty of firewood, some adult beverages and stuff for smores for the evening. :unsure:

Sure, the more the merrier......not sure who all is coming besides Slowdown, Audible, and our friend Dave......I think Joliet was going to try and make it too......DigDug is stuck back at Fort Dix in N.J. on AF duty......Strega is seeing stars.......I think Zenosan will be out Sat morning.......

Ron (Slowdown) is heading out to Plaster City tomorrow night in all his rocket glory......he's helping out with the Plaster Blasters on Friday then he'll move over to our usual camp spot.......Audible (Randy) and Dave will be out there in the early afternoon on Friday (look for two LTZ400 quads)...........I hope to get out of Ramona by 3pm so we can arrive just as the sun is setting............we'll see how things play out......if a couple/few of the kids tag along we'll probably be out there around 7-8ish (latest)

I posted directions and general GPS waypoint info earlier in this thread......see ya out there......

Ok, Thanks. I hope to be leaving about 3 or so also. See you out there.

The girls are not feeling well and we are going to have to skip this weekend. Catch you on the next one. Ken

Got ya plugged into my garmin and will probably ride out Saturday sometime. Maybe Sunday morning. I'll try calling first to see what your up to!

The girls are not feeling well and we are going to have to skip this weekend. Catch you on the next one. Ken

Chris

Looks like the flu bug is hitting the Zen household too. We will have to pass up this weekend also. Hope to make the next one.

Don