Strega

Dakar Rally has gone to hell =\

No more big bikes for the Dakar Rally...

The organizers of the Dakar Rally announced that the motorcycle portion of the annual event would consist of 450cc motorcycles beginning in 2010 with a grace period of one year in which the bigger bikes could still be used with restrictors. Today, KTM (the winner of the last eight Dakar Rallies) announced that they were withdrawing their efforts from the race.

Yesterday, the promoters of what is generally regarded as the biggest off-road race in the world stated that that the change would level the playing field in the motorcycle division.Yamaha has already been fielding a 450 with top 10 results with David Fretigne, but the class has been dominated of late by the big bikes - first by BMW and lately by KTM. According to promoters, 450cc bikes made up 40 percent of the entries in the 2009 Dakar Rally.

This is a SAD day in the motorcycle world. B)

Article Link

KTM makes 450cc bikes and BMW does also, time for them to man up!

KTM makes 450cc bikes and BMW does also, time for them to man up!

KTM also makes 50 and 65s. But they're not the right tool for the Dakar, either.

I suspect the Dakar folks want the race to look more like the Baja, and are trying to kill off the dominance of KTM in order to facilitate that goal.

I don't know, I would think it would be more along the lines of trying to encourage more privateer and small team participation? I mean I am pretty sure the world over KTM sells more 525s and 450s than 600cc+ dakar bikes so you think it would be good promotion for them just like Baja is for Honda

Doesn't make sense to me. Is it that much cheaper to race a 450 vs. a 650?? Doesn't seem like it would be. So why the change?

Since KTM brought the LC8 to Dakar they have been Dominating. The sad part is the rules have been changing ever since. This is where the 690 came in to play.... and now? Maybe BMW is behind it all :blink: HUUUUM!

BC

PS. MAybe the other manufactures need to step up, not restrict one from making a beter product.

I don't understand why they can't just establish/recognize different classes - :blink: like under/over 500cc (or 600cc or (?) whatever???).....then everyone could be happy :lol:;)

I don't understand why they can't just establish/recognize different classes - :blink: like under/over 500cc (or 600cc or (?) whatever???).....then everyone could be happy :lol:;)

A voice of reason. It's everywhere else, why not?

I agree. There must be more to the story. I don't think there is a real cost difference for the big boys between running a 450 and a 690. The bikes are the cheapest part of the equation. Even for privateers, the cost is in logistics.

But I would like to see some 50s and 65s out there! With little kids- Vegas, Monaco and all the gambling capitols of the world would be buzzing...

I agree. There must be more to the story. I don't think there is a real cost difference for the big boys between running a 450 and a 690. The bikes are the cheapest part of the equation. Even for privateers, the cost is in logistics.

Absolutely. The only 450 motors that KTM makes are enduro motors. Small, powerful motors designed to run really hard for a day of racing. Those enduro guys tear down motors after every race!! The Dakar is nearly 6000 miles long!!! That's part of the reason the 600 class bikes do so well - they last through the punishment.

I suppose you could race it on a CRF-450 and bring a new motor for each day... :blink:

If you ask me, the Dakar has been wussified in the past few years. First they ban the big twins, forcing everyone to go to singles (I used to think it was awesome to watch those guys blast at 120mph across the desert!!!). Then they cancel the entire rally, due to perceived terrorist threats. Now this.

I think the kicker for KTM is the timing. They've got mega bucks wrapped up it their bikes, logistics, rider contracts, etc. Now this rule would force them to throw away all that money to start from scratch only 6 months before the race. I'm sure it's purely an economic move. They don't want to go throwing more money at it (with sales down, they might not even have the money to throw at it). I feel bad for the private guys that bought 690s out of their own savings, paid for modifications, arranged for logistics, etc - now they're out (well not technically, they can still race with a restrictor plate that will be provided by the agency).

What is the reason for the rule change? If it just because Honda can't win, waaaah. The best rider/navigator on the best bike should win period. When you start changing the rules so that an inferior pilot on an inferior bike can win, I feel you seriously degrade the sport. If it is that important for them to win, build a bike that can compete instead of bribing someone to change the rules so that you can win.

I just noticed my "Red Forman" syndrome is kicking in this morning, I better get to work before I threaten to stick my boot up someones a$$ :blink::lol:;) . Ken

The Dakar needs money to work- the numbers must be HUGE. And without more big teams, the money's not there. I suppose that's why they've been pushing to get name-brand racers in at all levels. So- if they can get the big Honda efforts in by changing the rules, they'll let KTM go.

Just thinking, not an expert.

The Dakar is just trying to make it a level playing field for ALL. When one manufacture dominates, the other manufacuture's drop out-thus it is not profitable or interesting. This is not the first time the Dakar has done this. The other issue is safety. They are attempting to slow the bikes down. These two issues is the reason.

Just another example of crappy leadership. Kids are you paying attention, "if you can't win, just quit, don't even try to improve, just wait until they change the rules to your advantage"

Sorry, Red Formanites.

The Dakar is just trying to make it a level playing field for ALL. When one manufacture dominates, the other manufacuture's drop out-thus it is not profitable or interesting. This is not the first time the Dakar has done this. The other issue is safety. They are attempting to slow the bikes down. These two issues is the reason.

:blink: oh no... I agree with Kevin!!!

I'm going home sick

Thats what I was thinking too. We've all seen the crash footage of the big twin riders launching off dunes at 100+ mph and the cartwheeling bikes and bodies on landing. Rider safety and diversity in the starting grid. :blink:

Another idea I have is since the political climate in Africa is still in such a turmoil, perhaps the Dakar series will become a transient event over the next few years. This past race was in South America maybe the next race will be in North America and then in Asia, Australia and so on. It would be easier to set up a race course that would be competitive for 450s rather than big singles and twins. Given the political situation I don't think we'll be seeing an Africa race for at least another 5-10 years. It was an absolute ---- for all the people that ponied up for the race but I think the organizers did the right thing by cancelling the race and then moving the event the following year. I kinda wish SCORE would follow suit with a Baja race.

I see the point, but then what's the motivation to win? KTM did a helluva job, so they change the rules? That's gotta sting. Doesn't anybody read Ayn Rand anymore?

People are just mad KTM has won the last 8 Rally's in a row. They're all butt hurt.

People are just mad KTM has won the last 8 Rally's in a row. They're all butt hurt.

They win because all of the other manufactures do not have factory teams, as they have pulled out. For instance, BMW pulled out with 2 years left on their rider contracts-they just payed the riders off. With the recent deaths of Meoni, Sainct-they need to slow the bikes down. Besides, only KTM can afford to put a new motor in there race bike every day while racing the Dakar-Thanks go to the support trucks!!

I think I liked you more as a Yamaha guy. :lol:

They did run a race in Africa anyway last year it just was not the Dakar and the south american one was gnarly