jbw

In search of some twisties

Are there any twisties very close to the northern part of san diego city(specifically UTC)? I have not had much free time recently and would like to find some that I can get to quickly.

Thanks,

Highland Valley Road is about the most southern twisty section.

Are there any twisties very close to the northern part of san diego city(specifically UTC)? I have not had much free time recently and would like to find some that I can get to quickly.

Thanks,

In a word, no -- unless you want to run the clover leaf at the 805 and La Jolla Village Drive.

My usual quick-fix street ride is Lyons Valley/Japatul Valley area. From UTC its about 26 miles to Highland Valley Road and about 30 miles to the start of the fun stuff on Lyons Valley.

:dance2:

The photographers on Highway 94 and the Squids on Telegraph Canyon Road are suddenly overcome with a location identity crisis. :ph34r:

Thanks,

There are some nice roads a short ways up the 5FWY......Del mar Heights to San Dieguito Rd......Villa de La Valle east......Lomas Santa Fe to Rambla de Las Fores to La Granada....etc....wouldn't suggest hauling ass through that area but there are some nice/uncrowded roads/scenery......

:)

The photographers on Highway 94 and the Squids on Telegraph Canyon Road are suddenly overcome with a location identity crisis. :)

Should be more clear, huh...OP asked about the northern part of SD, so Highland Valley is the most southern relative to the northern part of the county. Got it? That should make it MUCH clearer. For southern relative to the southern, Japatul is the most ridable. (4 is a frightening ride, and telegraph is too busy.

Highland Valley road is where I automatically headed to when I used to live in UTC.

Cool, I will soon be checking out some of these areas. At this point I will be taking them very slowly anyways as my bike currently has knobbies and I am pretty new to riding. I am trying to find a set of trailwings "deathwings" as these are stock on the DRZ and are considered good on the street but horrible on the dirt so many people sell them cheap. I just will have to become good at changing tires! I am a little disapointed that the twisties are relatively far away. I used to live in the twisties in the Santa Monica mountains a few miles from the "rock store".

Also the DRZ is geared down and I am not sure how good freeway speeds are for the engine, It has 14-47 now, stock is 15-44. That is another reason why I want to keep the distance down. The bike desperately needs a sixth gear.

When I said Northern San Diego I guess I meant the most Southern portion of Northern San Diego. :)

Thanks for all the good replies. :)

Josh- a swap of the front sprocket is relatively quick... throw the 15 on, and the bike will cruise at 70 no problem (that was my gearing until recently)

swapping out tires that often will get tiresome quickly... better to pick ONE tire combo that will be a compromise... I rode deathwings at Corral once, and they were not too bad, but I did end up biffing because of them...

as stated in another thread: D606 out back, and an MT21 or equivalent up front is a GOOD dirt solution and an acceptable street option

try this route on for size: poway road out to 67, 67 down to Olde 80 OR Greenfield to Crest... That will link to Arnold and Japatul, and that will lead to Lyons, etc.

Josh- a swap of the front sprocket is relatively quick...

I will have to disagree :) . The front sprocket on an 03 DRZ should be secured to the shaft with loctite or similar sealant. You need a puller to remove it and 24 hours for it to set up properly after cleaning the shaft and installing a new one.

I am running a 15/44 and mine cruises nice and smooth at 70 on the freeway. (smooth being a comparative thing after riding the Husky) :)

From UTC you can head north to Via De La Valle, east into RSF and wander around until you are dizzy. Working north through RSF to Olivenhain you can go through San Elijo hills to Harmony Grove/Elfin Forest, into Escondido/Lake Hodges, up Highland Valley, cross over on Dye Rd to catch Wildcat Cyn down the hill. The best thing to have is the Thomas Guide wall map in your garage to stare at and stick pins into. GPS and Google maps are great, but sometimes a little hard to see the big picture (but I'm sure if you use them a lot you get real good at it).

On the other hand, personally, I do not like riding RSF. Too many blind driveways and land rovers.

But on the bright side... those people have money! My luck would be to get tagged by the undocumented worker who just finished cleaning the driveway with a jet pack... caution is always advised.

On the other hand, personally, I do not like riding RSF. Too many blind driveways and land rovers.

I like riding through RSF.....but I don't ride like a hooligan.....same attitude/environment applies to Highland Valley........I'm there to dodge traffic/crowds not to make time......my commute is actually longer if I take Highland Valley as opposed to 78.....and there are a few blind driveways there too.....but it's a more pleasant commute....

So when commuting on my Superhawk, I sometimes ride Highland Valley, as opposed to 78, and always ride through "Schwinn's Forest" (Elfin Forest) to get over to Carlsbad from Ramona........FYI, the pavement surface isn't so great on Highland Valley (especially between the bottom of the grade and the 15FWY) and there are some seriously tight corners up top that will catch you if you're unfamiliar with the road...........that said, the pavement on Harmony Grove Rd./San Elijo Rd. (aka - the route through Elfin forest) is in EXCELLENT shape - new pavement......likewise, the 78 grade has smooth pavement.....

El Camino Real to Via De la Valle, to El Camino again then right at the stop sign?, then left onto Rambla de las flores? etc through RSF and san elijo is my back way home when traffic sucks from del mar. It's short I've never seen anyone coming out of a driveway and its pretty. I don't haul ass though no real need the pavement can be bumpy in the corners but it sure beats the 5 for the ride home if I am not just wanting to get er done and have extra time.

The only scare I got in RSF was actually driving it with the wife when there was a bike race going on and 2 paris hilton wannabes in a convertible mercedes were driving down the wrong lane and honking and hooting and hollering

Josh- a swap of the front sprocket is relatively quick...

I will have to disagree :) . The front sprocket on an 03 DRZ should be secured to the shaft with loctite or similar sealant. You need a puller to remove it and 24 hours for it to set up properly after cleaning the shaft and installing a new one.

I am running a 15/44 and mine cruises nice and smooth at 70 on the freeway. (smooth being a comparative thing after riding the Husky) B)

Yeah, I loctited the sprocket on with red locktite and will have to buy a gear puller if I want to get it off. But I went on the freeway for the first time and found that it did fine at 65 so I think I am going to leave the gearing as I do not plan on doing much freeway driving, just enough to connect up the other parts of the rides.

The current tire selection is D606 on rear and a d908f "rally raid" on the front. But they are getting worn down and will have to be replaced soon.

I was thinking that changing the tire would become old quick so I have also been on the lookout for a cheep set of either 21" and 18" wheels or preferably a 17" set.

At this point any of the riding I do is slow by any biking standards. It will probably stay that way for a long while. So those roads should be fun. I am going to try to get out to some later this week.

I have been up to Elfin forest on my bike, mountain bike that is, now thinking about it those roads would be fun on the DRZ.

Josh

I was thinking that changing the tire would become old quick so I have also been on the lookout for a cheep set of either 21" and 18" wheels or preferably a 17" set.

Josh

I've got a set of early GSXR rims, 18 front/rear that I was going to convert for use on my DRZ before I got the GS500 set I had. If you want to try to work them out I can trade them for some beers?

Tom

Josh

I've got a set of early GSXR rims, 18 front/rear that I was going to convert for use on my DRZ before I got the GS500 set I had. If you want to try to work them out I can trade them for some beers?

Tom

Yes, I certainly would. First though I need to see if it is feasable for me to do the modifications and i guess find a good machinist. From searching thumpertalk it looks like it may be a bit complicated but should be doable, I guess you should know as you were one of the main contributers to the "hooligan" mod as it is called on thumpertalk. Summer is almost here and I should have some time for a fun project. B)

And the most important question: What type of beer?

Thanks,

Josh

And the most important question: What type of beer?

Thanks,

Josh

Cold is almost always my favorite.

In a word, no -- unless you want to run the clover leaf at the 805 and La Jolla Village Drive.

I looked up the clover leaf you spoke of and had a good laugh. Have you done this for any extended period of time?

cloverleaf.jpg

Josh

I looked up the clover leaf you spoke of and had a good laugh. Have you done this for any extended period of time?

cloverleaf.jpg

Josh

:lol::)B):) :) B) B) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a great way to wear down the right side of your tires anyways!!!!!

<image>

Josh

Maybe I've done it once. Maybe twice. I'll not admit anything for certain. And I've certainly never went for an extended ride between the Clairemont Mesa and Balboa exits.