Jaynen

21/18 Street Tires?

I am thinking again with it getting warmer and not hitting the dirt as much about grabbing a set of more street oriented tires and swapping them on my bike since I seem to hit the dirt once a month or almost bi monthly at this point. But I don't want to miss out on any chances of actually hitting the dirt either that I can make it too. Second rims are still out of the question with my bike using a new Yamaha hub design and costing over 1k

Also since I want to buy a second bike at some point that is a street bike I want to get more accustomed to cornering and the like on something besides knobbies, I have no confidence and am probably overly paranoid while riding the street on knobbies because I dont want to find out the hardway.

I think a couple people here run Avon Distanza's right? Slut dont you have them?

The Kenda 761 dual sport tire seems really cheap and an option but I dont know if I should be trying to go even more street oriented in this case and what might work. I know a few of the cruiser type tires are available in both 90/90-21 and 120/80-18 rear but I am guessing those are tubeless and can you run any tubeless tire with a tube and be ok?

Looks like Maxxis Promaxx are the ones most guys use in sportsman sumo class (21/18 class) anyone tried them or recommend a shop to get a good deal? *Edit* Heard something that Maxxis might be stopping making street tires?

*Edit2* Found a good deal on the Kenda761's so will give those a try

"The hot suspension setup for Sportsman is as follows: Take all the air out of the front fork (to lower the front end) by tying it down and bleeding it; at both ends dial-in almost all the rebound damping and take out most of the compression damping. Weird and simple, but effective. Armed as such, we were set for a couple of SuperTT events and a day at the local kart track."

Do you think adjusting the suspension like this is important for when riding on the street or will you be able to relatively safely keep the setup from the dirt? My bike is full slow on rear rebound and the preload is backed off some while my front rebounds pretty fast and has stiff compression.

I mostly changed the rear from stock, as the rebound was much faster and the preload a lot tighter before

I've got a set of Cheng Shin Barracudas that I ran on my DR350 for about 400 miles, $50 for the pair if you want them. Pretty good street tires.

I ended up ordering the Kenda 761's from NCY for 84 for the set of two.

So how many miles did you get on your Motoz, and how much tread is left?

I dont remember the exact depth they started at but they still look pretty good to me. I have 1200 miles on them so far. Either they have not worn much at all or I can't tell because the central lugs are just evenly shorter. But I am pretty light, my bike is pretty light and I am not very ham fisted on the throttle. Well my bike doesnt really have the power to eat the rear that way

Jason; I run trailwing (441 I think) on my xr... Same tires that come on drzs... Very good street tire, but terrible in the dirt. Ask walker.

I still think a 606 is a good dual sport rear and run a real knob up front.

One think I found out yesterday, running motocross tires down the twisty highway in to borrego... The knobs did have me sliding around a bit, but it was very controlled. I never came close to losing it, even with both tires sliding

I ended up ordering the Kenda 761's from NCY for 84 for the set of two.

I put those on my KLR, cant stand em, they slip in the coners on the road, I dont trust em but thats just me and i,m scared half the time anyways.

I cant believe we spelled that wrong

Cheap tires (Kenda, Cheng Shin, etc.) usually don't grip well on the street if you're riding hard.

Pirelli makes a great dualsport tire........link HERE

Also, if you buy tires on the internet and don't support your local shops, this guy has great tire prices and if you order two, shipping is free.....he's in Arizona.... http://www.swmototires.com/ He is a motorcycle rider himself.....I had him ship tires to different places for my Trans America Trail ride.

I ride like a grandma right now. I love my motoz tires in the dirt but don't want to burn them up on 90% highway riding. I need something with more confidence inspiring grip on the street.

Thats a shame to hear about your experience with the 761's my bikes so light maybe i can get away with it. I've read some KLR guys using the 761s and it didnt seem overly negative.

I still have my trailwing 301/302s Ken helped me take off my WRR and those were ok on the street and I have 3500 miles on them and they still look ok for street use. I was hoping the 761s would be even better though.

When I was searching sportsman supermoto the avon distanzas kept coming up as did the promaxx from maxxis and the kenda

........I ride like a grandma right now........

Then put the Trailwings back on....why clutter the garage with tires you aren't using?.... save some $$, improve your skills, burn'em up, and toss'em when the time comes.....

(this approach will also aide any quest towards marital bliss ;) ........if such a thing is truly possible ;);) )

........I ride like a grandma right now........

Then put the Trailwings back on....why clutter the garage with tires you aren't using?.... save some $$, improve your skills, burn'em up, and toss'em when the time comes.....

(this approach will also aide any quest towards marital bliss ;) ........if such a thing is truly possible ;);) )

I am hoping at some point to possibly "tard" the bike out completely. Probably a good idea about the TW301/302s but I already bought the other tires

Cheap tires (Kenda, Cheng Shin, etc.) usually don't grip well on the street if you're riding hard.

Pirelli makes a great dualsport tire........link HERE

Also, if you buy tires on the internet and don't support your local shops, this guy has great tire prices and if you order two, shipping is free.....he's in Arizona.... http://www.swmototires.com/ He is a motorcycle rider himself.....I had him ship tires to different places for my Trans America Trail ride.

I run a Pirelli on the front and a Dunlop D606 on the rear of my 84 XL250r. This is the bike I took on the XPlane ride in Jan and the Desert Dash in Feb.. Blind was behind me most of the time in Jan and commented on how much I was sitting on the seat (and relaxing I might add) while running the soft sand washes. That is a perfect combination for that bike. Also, I don't use steering dampers on any of my bikes, just don't need them.

Jason; I run trailwing (441 I think) on my xr... Same tires that come on drzs... Very good street tire, but terrible in the dirt. Ask walker.

I still think a 606 is a good dual sport rear and run a real knob up front.

One think I found out yesterday, running motocross tires down the twisty highway in to borrego... The knobs did have me sliding around a bit, but it was very controlled. I never came close to losing it, even with both tires sliding

I strongly agree! 739 FA on the front, 90/90-21, and a 606 rear ulitmate in traction and long lasting. Very preditable. on and off the tarmac.

BC

Dunlop D739 Intermediate/Hard Terrain non DOT approve knobbie

Honestly I am surprised how ok the motoz tires are on the road for knobbies, I just dont want to ride knobbies everyday I want the smoother and more enjoyable superslab experience. The knobbies added a bit of vibration to the bars as well as the noise/control issues and cost me about 5-10mpg almost.