KIP

2003 F-150 Supercrew any good?

A family member has offered me an 03 F-150 Supercrew 4X2 shortbed / 5.4L engine with 65k miles - at a good price. I am thinking about ditching my 2001 Chevy Suburban 4X4 with 175k miles and picking this up.

I might miss the 4x4, the heated leather seats, the 3rd row seating of the suburban, but the open truck bed is nice. I think the Suburban is safer - it even has side air-bags but it is getting lots of miles and the AC went out again. It also sags when towing my boat or enclosed trailer.

Anyone know about the F150? Is it ok for towing? Is the shortbed useful for anything.

Is that the 4 door with full seating ?

I'd suggest you either check the owner's manual for towing capacity, or research on the internet.

My '98 F-150 4.6 V8 has over 210,000 miles...still going strong.

Ford makes the best trucks !!

I've taken mine off-road.....it'll go many places, just have to watch for deep sand or really rocky stuff.

I have the 04 F150 5.4L SuperCrew Lariat w/ 76000 + miles. A few things changed from 03 to 04 not exactly sure what outside of looks. It's been a great truck. Tow capacity is 9800 lbs. I've towed many miles with it, never an issue climbing grades, plenty of power. The only aftermarket item I have on the truck are Firestone Airbags to help the ride when towing or hauling.

Minor caution.. I tend to hate the shortbed with I need to haul anything. Outside of that, great truck.

I have an 05 fx4. You lose some tow capacity when you go 4x4 anyway. The 04+ is the new style however and I think they redesigned a lot of the interior and other stuff. I love my truck, just hate the gas mileage and yeah when hauling the short bed can be annoying but in parking lots etc its a godsend

Another owner here... I'm with the rest... shortbed only fits one bike with the gate up... This truck is my second favorite car ever (ahead of my Mercedes and only behind my Jag)

Very comfortable, Ford does make great trucks (my 5th), and a good tow vehicle. My truck is exactly the same as Erick's. but mine is faster

(ahead of my Mercedes )

how dare you

190 E... how dare THEY? I liked my X19 more than my Mercedes...

05 XLT F150 crewcab, I got it new in Nov of 05

62,000 miles on it, Tows like a champ without any problems going up the grapevine.

Oil cooler and super tow factory installed kit on it

I tow a boat, and i was towing a trailer till some POS stole it last month.

2 wheel drive standard size bed

I love this truck, and it has the small V8 in it, gets about 22 miles on the Hwy and 18 or so in the city.

Looking at the 09 next week

I drive a little Ford truck. The F150 would be my dream truck if I were going to get a full sized one.

I drive a little Ford truck. The F150 would be my dream truck if I were going to get a full sized one.

in your dreams, you don't have to pay for gas... get a 350 duallie

mimi- I'll let you drive mine some time... while I ride a smoker of yours

in your dreams, you don't have to pay for gas... get a 350 duallie

mimi- I'll let you drive mine some time... while I ride a smoker of yours

In my dreams, I would also have a nice big toyhauler to pull with that 350, and an KTM300 with an electric start button, and some nice land with a split level ranch house, a big garage for all the bikes I would have, a creek and a pond and plenty of riding trails on the acreage, in case I didn't feel like driving anywhere for the weekend. B) Oh, and a horsie.

I've heard good things from my s-in-law. Just do the math on tow capability & GVWR. I have the 05 Tundra with a 4.7 liter (crew cab) & I had to be very careful about tow weight. They say 7,000 but after you subtract the veh wt with gas & driver from GVWR, it's actually 6300. That's why I have an 18 foot toybox.

If I knew I was going down the desert road when I bought a truck, it would have been a 150.

Ill tell ya when we came back from Kernan and were loading bikes I was wishing I had the 4x2 over the 4x4. I think the tailgate on slut's truck seemed like it was a good 4-5 inches lower than mine and my trucks not lifted

Ill tell ya when we came back from Kernan and were loading bikes I was wishing I had the 4x2 over the 4x4. I think the tailgate on slut's truck seemed like it was a good 4-5 inches lower than mine and my trucks not lifted

true, but when I am out in fish creek looking for cell coverage to get towed out, I'll wish I had yours... And don't anybody dare suggest that I just be smart enough not to get stuck... Aint gonna happen

true, but when I am out in fish creek looking for cell coverage to get towed out, I'll wish I had yours... And don't anybody dare suggest that I just be smart enough not to get stuck... Aint gonna happen

The recovery for a downed/injured rider or some sort of situation is the actual reason I ended up going 4x4. My truck while it doesnt ride as nice as a car it rides great for a truck, and drives very easily. It's one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned and tons of room in the backseat even for 3 grown men

The recovery for a downed/injured rider or some sort of situation is the actual reason I ended up going 4x4. My truck while it doesnt ride as nice as a car it rides great for a truck, and drives very easily. It's one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned and tons of room in the backseat even for 3 grown men

There is no replacement for 4x4. My 4x4 Suburban has pulled my boat out of the lake (in Mud), Taken me through the mountains in blizzard conditions, and even (though it is short on ground clearance) taken the family through the badlands of Borrego. It does drive like a car - like a smooth, heavy Cadillac.

However You guys helped me decide to get the Truck, It has 62k miles on it and has the tow package. Since I don't live in Julian anymore 4 wheel drive is not a requirement. If anyone wants the Suburban let me know. I am thinking of selling it to a dealer that will take it to Mexico. He has offered me 4700. I already got the truck and am supposed to pay it off on Saturday so I need to sell it quick. Here is a link to the ad http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/1104306293.html