Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Lusardi trail 02/01/09

What a week....and weekend, too. Seemed to do a lot of work, but didn't get anything done. :( Never mind, it was time to relax and take a little spin on the Husky today. Chris and Tammy led the ride. The ride was supposed to go to Boulder Creek, but we just sort of ended up at Pamo Road instead, after wending our way from Escondido to Ramona on Highland Valley Road. Uncle Phil went with us too, on his KLR650. It was just that sort of a laid back day. We toodled along, taking in the scenery and then made our way up the freshly graded Lusardi trail. Chris took us up a mining trail that was in the past behind locked gates. But today it was opened and we took the opportunity to poke around up the hillside a bit. Tammy and Phil decided not to join us as the trail disintegrated quickly into a rock strewn, rutted incline. Tall TE was not the perfect choice for this venue, but I made the best of it and made as much of the trail as there was before it got REALLY steep. Note to self: Go back with short KLX that has low gearing. :( We descended and headed back out to the main trail to the end, the locked gate. And yes, that one was still locked. I think it was at this point that we all voted to go into town and get some eats...and we did. Had some Mexican food and then headed down the hill to Escondido. I think Phil was headed home and Chris and Tammy were headed over to Carlsbad to meet some friends. It was a mellow and sociable day on the road and trail. I got to meet and ride with people that I had never met before, and we had a great time. :(

How come I look like I fit my bike so well in photographs, when in reality I can barely get my teensy feet to touch the ground or the pavement? :(

100_1507.jpg

Some general milling around before we head up Lusardi.

100_1509.jpg

Chris waves howdy while Tammy fiddles with something on her bike.

100_1513.jpg

The view from the end of Lusardi Trail.

100_1514.jpg

Phil chugging through a wet crossing.

100_1515.jpg

Followed by Tammy....

100_1516.jpg

then, Chris.

100_1517.jpg

Chris pointing out something or other.....

100_1518.jpg

Another water crossing.

100_1524.jpg

Phil says that there are morteros over there, and there are.

100_1526.jpg

Welcome, welcome!!

You've ridden with our best. Now hopefully you'll put up with the rest of us too! :lol:

red plastic, aluminum frame inverted forks. Kawi stickers. What model is that?

red plastic, aluminum frame inverted forks. Kawi stickers. What model is that?

Looks like a KLX250S to me...

97d6e0f7-b0ee-48cc-86cf-09d7b7136e7a.jpg

Shot of the mining trail where we rode....

highres_7159329.jpg

and where we didn't ride.

event_7159331.jpg

Shot of the mining trail where we rode....

and where we didn't ride.

I've ridden all over that area. I do so miss it. That road you rode and the road your almost rode go to fence enclosing ranch land. It's probably another mile from where you turned around. Nothing special up there, grassy meadow and a decent vista then a fence. They may not be in that order, it's been two years since I've been there.

I'm buying a bike next week, whether it's something new, someting blue or a street legal two-stroke Can-Am. I've seen enough fun little rides that I've missed out on. :lol:

I'm buying a bike next week, whether it's something new, someting blue or a street legal two-stroke Can-Am. I've seen enough fun little rides that I've missed out on. :lol:

Well, I'm glad your going to get a new ride. Preferably something you won't squish, although I think that the TE was just an anomaly.

Well, I'm glad your going to get a new ride. Preferably something you won't squish, although I think that the TE was just an anomaly.

Thanks for the report. Enjoyed it. I almost made the ride but was waylaid by a leaking sink drain and a Superbowl party. Sounds like I would have been better off on your ride. Maybe next time.

Don

Have you set up a Share page for your spot?

Those are nice to have because they are so interactive.

I go out a lot alone and use the SPOT to let my kid and sister know where I am. I figure no one else cares where I am.(Maybe my kid and sister don't either!) I get into places where the cell phone doesn't work at times.

Phill

I go out a lot alone and use the SPOT to let my kid and sister know where I am. I figure no one else cares where I am.(Maybe my kid and sister don't either!) I get into places where the cell phone doesn't work at times.

Phill

I like to let others see where I have been and even click on the map and get coordinates and stuff. It's just neat to have as a reference for future explorations.