Briana and I headed out to the OTB area yesterday and spent saturday riding with 450beta and then fished off with BBQ and beer around a massive camp fire with the fine people organizing the race. Tree and his son decided they were going to sit the races out and just work the check points(easy 90pts). The race was awesome. Fast followed by nasty terrain. Very stiff competition, but I had a great time. In the first lap, I clipped a quad and went over the bars going fairly fast. I got up and was fine, but my clutch lever was snapped off at the base. So it was either go back to the pits and cry or keep going. ;) I ran another 60 miles with no clutch lever. It made stopping at the check points a pain in the rear. I was lapped by the end of lap 2 By the third lap my thighs were toast and I was struggling to stay on the pegs. I did get revenge and got to roost a few other tired souls on my second wind though :rolleyes: I am still buzzed from today!!

Big thanks to Tree, his son, Joliet and XXXinsd for manning the races and putting on a great show and for gbuscrisis, piratemonkey, and briana for showing support. I missed papaalex. tntracephotos has some photos of the race up already. There are some photos of shocknawe up there too. Thanks piratemonkey for taking great pics as usual. Thanks again Tree for the invite. I'm STOKED> :o

No Clutch

3233023600_6538842f14_b.jpg

3227914940_bace6f0ec3_b.jpg

3227916962_160197da80_b.jpg

3227056823_f50b8140dc_b.jpg

3227053085_da19d16860_b.jpg

3227909042_5439aa3084_b.jpg

I FINISHED!

3227042703_87ef328457_b.jpg

mr mich was stoked on the 100MPH passes in the big wash!!

3226984031_018273a07b_b.jpg

Nothing quite like your first big race. :rolleyes: Congratulations on sticking with it and having a good time.

Nice job! Congratulations on finishing!

How many laps did you complete?

How about the quad? He okay? Or did he even notice?

Seems your bike is equipped with lots of things you don't need: electric starter, seat, clutch . . . :rolleyes:

Great job finishing the race Brad. I bet you're a little sore today, but that's part of what makes the racing experience so satisfying. Giving it your all and thinking of ways to improve for the next one. I bet you can't wait for the results to get posted. Next race is Feb 8, me and my son will be down to race this one. It's at plaster city east and should be a fairly fast course.

Also, Good job Paul on finish two lap.

Great job finishing the race Brad. I bet you're a little sore today, but that's part of what makes the racing experience so satisfying. Giving it your all and thinking of ways to improve for the next one. I bet you can't wait for the results to get posted. Next race is Feb 8, me and my son will be down to race this one. It's at plaster city east and should be a fairly fast course.

Also, Good job Paul on finish two lap.

Do you know if the quad that threw his chain made it in. It was the first time he made it to 3 laps and he sure wanted to finish.

It is just amazing how fast some of those guys are. Deep sand, whoops, silt, hills, stopping at 4 check points and the top guys are doing a 27 mile course in under 30 minutes, awesome. It was fun to be there and be a small part of it. :rolleyes: Ken

Holy cow. Give me a day or two to let that sociological phenomena set in, and then post a full ride report. It was a tough ride with little time to break. My lower back is sore after 2 laps. Similar to my rides, I had no serious wrecks but got caught up with other riders a few times and laid my bike down. Those blokes were crazy, skilled, and fast on an unforgiving and mixed desert terrain. It was do or die. Sweet photo Brad. I guess you waved during the home stretch because you did not have a clutch.

I have wanted to do a desert race for a few years, basically ever since I first met Tree. He has a way of talking people into it I think. Great job spaugh! Planning on doing more races?

Although it doesn't really show up well in this shot, this is a picture of the desert with the dust cloud from the race (right in the center of the photo, almost) shot from Big Rock at McCain yesterday.

We wondered if Brad was out there somewhere below the dust. :)

100_1500.jpg

Although it doesn't really show up well in this shot, this is a picture of the desert with the dust cloud from the race (right in the center of the photo, almost) shot from Big Rock at McCain yesterday.

We wondered if Brad was out there somewhere below the dust. :)

100_1500.jpg

Cool picture Mimi!!!!!

Makes me wish I was out there riding this past weekend...

I have wanted to do a desert race for a few years, basically ever since I first met Tree. He has a way of talking people into it I think. Great job spaugh! Planning on doing more races?

I'm gonna give it another go on feb 8th. You should go for it! Its 5 x 22mile laps. Check the d38 for info. Find out who the steward is for your class and shoot them an email.

"block this topic"

You guys need to knock it off... Keep it up, and I'll have to sign up, too... And I really dont have time for that!

Round 3: March 15 2009

Superstition OHVA, El Centro, Calif.

Kirk Hester

Roadrunner Off-Road Racing

(760) 275-9852

captain@dc.rr.com

groups.msn.com/RoadRunnerOffRoadRacing

I agree with Bob, I don't have time for this but I sure want to do it!

Not sure if I have the stamina for it yet. ;)

If you guys are serious about giving it a try you should come out to the February 8th race at PC east. It will probablly be one of the easier races of the season.

define "easy"... I personally think blowing through a sand wash at 80 is "easy", but i don't do it because the reward does not match the risk... racing does not afford you the luxury of taking it easy (in my juvenile mind)

I think my competition days are long gone (and I missed my prime, for sure)...

I think it's awesome that you, Brad and Shock (and others) are doing it, though!

Just because you are riding in a race does not mean you need to push up to or beyond you or your bikes limits. There were some riders that came through the checkpoint that didn't look like they were in a hurry at all, they may have been pushing their limits, but it didn't appear that way. I think it would be fun and I may try it sometime, just to be able to say I did it.

I am worried too that my "juvenile mind" would not let me back off and enjoy the ride at say 80% of my ability, but it would be interesting to see if I have that kind of will power. :dance3: Ken

I have played almost every sport except for hockey (cuz I can't skate). Off-road motorcycle racing is one of the most aggressive and violent sports - not towards people usually, but towards the earth, your machine, and your body. I weighed 8lbs lighter this morning. The levels of testosterone in the air in that pit were higher than any locker room I have been in. It was surreal, maybe because I am from the Midwest and we don't have a desert. Or maybe because the stakes (injuries) are higher. The environment was a silent cross between Mad Max and a UFC fight. It was a place where men competed for the sake of competing, and unleashed their aggression and need-for-speed without fear of sirens. There were enough mechanical engineers in that pit to build a tank or send a rocket to the moon. The road trip was epic (thanks to Brandon, Daykin, and Cody).

You could ride at 80% and get lapped by the fast guys. Slower guys (like me) scared me more than fast riders. The fast riders know you are an obstacle and part of their job is to get past you. I averaged an hour per lap over two 27 mile laps. The winner averaged around 25 minutes per lap over 4 laps. Remember, the fatigue factor at lap 3. My top speed was about 50mph. I don't even like riding a motorcyle fast, so if I can do it, u can too. The downside is that if you get hurt racing, you will be kicking yourself for years (and your wife could do more than kick u). :dance3: :drinks:

I have played almost every sport except for hockey (cuz I can't skate). Off-road motorcycle racing is one of the most aggressive and violent sports - not towards people, but towards the earth, your machine, and your body.

The ONLY thing I have done that was more painful that riding a motorcycle, was playing lacrosse :dance3: I'm sure Crawdaddy and SnailDarter know where I'm coming from on that one, hehe.

Hope to catch ya racing one of these days!

I am worried too that my "juvenile mind" would not let me back off and enjoy the ride at say 80% of my ability, but it would be interesting to see if I have that kind of will power. :dance3: Ken

Subconciously you may want to ride at 80% but then find out what being passed while going 60MPH and eating rocks is like. Then its time to give it 110% and follow that guy in front of you and when it gets straight, peg it and return the favor. I was only on the giving end a few times, but the feeling of roosting someone while you pass them at 70+ is priceless. :drinks:

Subconciously you may want to ride at 80% but then find out what being passed while going 60MPH and eating rocks is like. Then its time to give it 110% and follow that guy in front of you and when it gets straight, peg it and return the favor. I was only on the giving end a few times, but the feeling of roosting someone while you pass them at 70+ is priceless. :drinks:

see, this is exactly what I am talking about... I will keep up, or crash trying.

it aint about speed,,none of us have that compared to the pros,,its about the challenge of completing a course and riding on the same playing field as the top moto athletes,,,,for all the stick and ball sports fanatics,,when did you last play around of football/lacrosse/Soccer or baseball on the same field as your fave athletes. I will make no further comments except good job on the event finish you guys, and that I never want to share a course with quads,, (glad you are ok Brad)

this one will be real test of mind,body and machine,,,,never see the same trail, every mile is new

Round 3: March 15 2009

Superstition OHVA, El Centro, Calif.

Kirk Hester

Roadrunner Off-Road Racing

(760) 275-9852

captain@dc.rr.com

groups.msn.com/RoadRunnerOffRoadRacing

race vision

Four Laps

47S

88X

7X