Sign in to follow this  
Beezzz

KTM vs Husky

What bike is best for a plated dirt bike?

Anza Borrego, desert washes/dry creeks, single track.

Low maintenance by owner.

250 cc to 525 cc.

I can't comment on brand, but I'd lean into the 400's for all around use. I've ridden 250's in the sand and they'll handle it but I like the 450 power. Happy Hunting!

I have exchanged some PMS with beezz about this, but here it is...

I think "light is right" for singletrack work.

I think arm stretching power helps in sandy washes...

I have a soft spot in my heart for huskys and they seem good and easy to maintain.

I was looking at a 510 until the rug was pulled from underneath me, and put the money away for a rainy day, instead. The 310 looks like a good singletrack weapon, and would have enough power:weight for most of the rides we do

(that first line should read :PMs, BTW)

I had a Honda CRF 450r cal plated for 2 years and rode it in the 1st and 2nd desert dashes. Best enduro I ever had. Why did I sell it???? No electric start and it was awful on long pavement rides. I own a new crf 450 now but reserve it for just offroad. I owned a ktm 525 exc last year and bought the new ktm 690 this year and is doing great so far and will be riding it in the dash this year.. PS the 525 was the tallest bike I ever owned. :lol:

Welcome to the club

I’ve owned a plated Honda XR400 and a plated Yamaha YZ400……didn’t care too much for the XR……..LOVED the YZ but no magic button and the 5 speed close ratio gear box was a bit hyper for some of the more technical rides…….I’ve also owned a plated KTM EXC 400 & 520 and a KTM EGS 620E Adventure Sled……still have the 520/620……my KTM EXC’s have served me well…..it’s hard to describe the KTM experience until you ride one…..you’ll love the light “feel” of the bikes and the suspension is top notch from the factory…….KTM really does a good job of keeping the weight low…..the bikes “feel” lighter than they are…….and I agree with the Slutty One, “light is right” for more technical rides…….coming from the two stroke world, you probably won’t be too impressed with the boring/linear/wide ratio 4 stroke power delivery of the KTMs – until you need it on a technical section……..then you’ll love it…..

I can’t offer an opinion on Husky’s because I’ve never owned/ridden one…….but I think you’re on the right track…….I’ve seen lot’s of people come in on heavy bikes with lousy suspension (I was one of them)……once they get serious about the sport, many of them opt to trade out of the heavier bikes for a lighter/better suspended Dual Sport bike…..so why not just start there if you’re serious and you can afford to drop the extra $$ :lol: .......I’d also look at/ride a Beta if I were in your shoes (KTM power plant with Marzoochi/Sachs shocks)......the Betas look like the magic ticket to me but I'm not sure what aftermarket goodies are available for them (desert tanks, etc.)......

The used market for a plated Husky/Beta will be pretty limited given that they haven't been around too long........so unless you're really blown away by them vs. a KTM, or insist on buying "new", my recommendation would be to snag a used 2002-2004 plated KTM EXC 400/450/520......ideally one that someone has already equipped with desert tank, bark busters, stabilizer, etc......

Welcome to the club

…….I’ve seen lot’s of people come in on heavy bikes with lousy suspension (I was one of them)……

:lol: ... that would be me... My DR350, XT600 and then KLR650 were my first dual sports... my DRZ is light and perfectly suspended B)

As Ride Orange mentioned, if you're interested in a KTM you owe it to yourself to look at the Beta line of Enduro bikes. KTM engine but better looking and loaded with options that you'll need to buy for a KTM anyway. AND they cost less if you're buying new. Big tanks and aftermarket parts are avalable. Vey's in Lakeside is the local dealer, I may be there this afternoon looking at their collection of Italian made bikes.

have you considered a DRZ?

The bikes you mentioned are not that low maintenance. They are race bikes with low oil capacity.

If you want to test drive a ktm525 and possibly a 400ktm, ktm450, husky450 and drz400 come out to the desert on Saturday.

EDited my post so I'm not offering others' bikes. My wife and friends might disown me for offering test rides on their bikes. You can ride mine though.

have you considered a DRZ?

The bikes you mentioned are not that low maintenance. They are race bikes with low oil capacity.

If you want to test drive a ktm400, ktm450, ktm525, husky450 and a drz400 come out to the desert with me on Saturday. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Actually while the new KTM engine holds .63 quarts the Husky holds 1.8 quarts. The husky shares that oil with the transmission, where the KTM has seperate oil for the transmission. My Husky calls out for oil changes every 5000km as it comes from the factory. When you install the power up kit and run full power the manual recommends oil changes every 8 hours if mx racing and every 16 hours if not racing. 16 hours works out to about 500 miles of normal riding for me, which is when I change mine with full synthetic, with a new filter every other time.

My DRZ holds about the same amount of oil as the Husky and calls out for similar service intervals (as the non powered up Husky), but since it is a milder engine, I only change it every 1000 miles with a new filter every other time.

:lol: Ken

All the info so far is good if you are going to truck out to the riding area, If I were getting a bike to ride out to the riding areas I would look at a Husky TE610 or KTM 690. I don't like to ride other peoples bikes often, (I am always afraid they will break or I will crash) but you should take up some offers for test rides.

he has 13 acres... he should host a jamul track day... free (almost) admittance.... only cost is you let him test ride your bike...

I'm IN!

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago and I chose the Husky 610 because I already have what I consider the perfect desert, singletrack bike for me although its not plated, yet anyway. I wanted a "do everything" adventure bike with longer maint intervals (3000mi) that I could take to Gorman and hit the singletrack or do the transamerica trail loaded down, as well as be my daily commuter. After last weekends X plane ride I feel that I made the right choice. Yeah, at 300lbs its heavy but it never really felt heavy except one section of deep sand that I stuggled with. That was me, not the bike. Personally, on a long ride I think a little heavier bike is less fatiguing.

250 cc to 525 cc.

Here is a 2006 Husky TE510 for $5,100.00 with all of the farkles already installed. :ph34r:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/987113997.html

New oil and tires keeps me lovin' riding my TE510.

Todd

250 cc to 525 cc.

Get a WR!!! :o:)

250 cc to 525 cc.

Get a WR!!! :o:)

You know; that's not a bad idea... we had at least 4 WRs on the Xplane ride, all plated... i've never ridden a WR, but the YZ packed a good punch, and was fairly light (compared to a DRZ)

You know; that's not a bad idea... we had at least 4 WRs on the Xplane ride, all plated... i've never ridden a WR, but the YZ packed a good punch, and was fairly light (compared to a DRZ)

IMHO...you cant be a WR...they are reliable (i know...my 06 went 11k miles before i sold and not one valve adjustment...my dad 06 went 11k but instead of sell we did a piston and rings...guess what we put stock valves and shims back in and after 13k miles on the valves, it still starts 1st kick!)

plus the tranny is very nice...a low 1st and 2nd and a tall 3-5...i can gear my bike with a 15/48 cruise the roads at 55-60 and still do the tight single tracks...

but the only down side is you cant plate them...so you have to find one alreadyd done :rolleyes: