paulmbowers

Trail rules

Chris may sound like a tough task master but he cut short his planned route when I blew a tube on a Palomar mountain ride with him and Wayne. Both went way out of their way to help me get up and running again and stayed with me on the ride back home.

Help? :blink: Wayne and I just hung around so we could snap some pictures :lol::D

0923081823.jpg

If we had 3 groups of riders, that's roughly 8 per group. If that's too big we can do 4 groups of 6.

Maybe we can start forming some groups before we actually get to Barstow, and finalize it on Friday night or Saturday morning. I'm guessing there is gonna be a handful of guys that wanna get on it and do some fast riding, and they should probably head out first after the first stop, followed by the groups interested a bit more in a decent pace. No one can really afford to go REALLY slow on this ride, since we're gonna cover 200 miles day one. Everyone is gonna have a great time and it will be a great ride!!

So from what I am reading, I am guessing #19 should be something like " make sure at least one other person in a group wants to ride at a similar pace as you before the ride day" that way if you are slower or faster than the rest of the group, you don't have to ride alone, or as DD said, you aren't pushing someone to ride over their head. As a noob, I try to pick the rides I go on carefully so I don't get into this situation, which limits some of the rides I go on, but I almost always have the option of taking my son out for the day if the ride doesn't sound like a good fit for me. I would think if you make arrangements beforehand, it would usually be pretty easy to find someone you can keep up with, and plan on hanging with them for the day.

So from what I am reading, I am guessing #19 should be something like " make sure at least one other person in a group wants to ride at a similar pace as you before the ride day" that way if you are slower or faster than the rest of the group, you don't have to ride alone, or as DD said, you aren't pushing someone to ride over their head. As a noob, I try to pick the rides I go on carefully so I don't get into this situation, which limits some of the rides I go on, but I almost always have the option of taking my son out for the day if the ride doesn't sound like a good fit for me. I would think if you make arrangements beforehand, it would usually be pretty easy to find someone you can keep up with, and plan on hanging with them for the day.

This ride is designed for riders of ALL types. There are some HARDWAY routes, but only those that are the more experienced riders on Dual Sport bikes should attempt those sections. The only part of this ride that could be a factor is just the mileage and time it takes to cover that distance. This is an ALL day, 200 mile ride, and may not be right for someone who's nervous about that much riding. However, there are quite a few bail out points. If you want to "TRY" this long ride and feel like you might get too tired, there is a bailout towards the B1 that will allow anyone to turn around and only do about 100 miles. You'd definitely want to be a GPS guy if that's the case, or have a riding partner that does.

We in NO WAY want to discourage ANYONE from doing this event, regardless of skill level. Just keep in mind:

1. It WILL be cold
  2. 90 miles range (including your spare bottles if needed)
  3. All day Ride, sun up to sun down
  4. 200 miles Day 1, 170mi Day 2

That's it, we'll be on the road at 7am on the 10th, I hope you ALL can make it!!!

If we had 3 groups of riders, that's roughly 8 per group. If that's too big we can do 4 groups of 6.

Maybe we can start forming some groups before we actually get to Barstow, and finalize it on Friday night or Saturday morning. I'm guessing there is gonna be a handful of guys that wanna get on it and do some fast riding, and they should probably head out first after the first stop, followed by the groups interested a bit more in a decent pace. No one can really afford to go REALLY slow on this ride, since we're gonna cover 200 miles day one. Everyone is gonna have a great time and it will be a great ride!!

OK Roger,

Suggestion for names for your three groups.

BTWs - Balls To The Wall Group

Has a blast riding but are DSS'ers (don't see ----)

CTRs - Civilized Trail Riders

Has fun playing on the bikes in between cool sights but stops to enjoy neat things to see, takes a few pictures and enjoys the company of riding companions, listens to Zenosan's pedantic lectures at the Husky monument on the details of the Vintage Husky frame serial number system (and other esoteric topics).

NTRs - Noob Trail Riders

New to motorcycles and trail riding. Trying out their stamina and testing their skills, finding out their limits and their bikes capabilities but feeling safe riding at their own pace and having a great time. Hopefully arriving at the Husky monument in time to hear the last of Zenosans's historical diatribes.

Don

Don, great ideas there!

Can I be in the CTR group? I wanna be civilized for a day :blink:

Don, great ideas there!

Can I be in the CTR group? I wanna be civilized for a day :blink:

Only if you are willing to listen to my pedantic Husky lectures. I have been a college professor for the last 34 years and can't stop talking when I have a captive audience.

Don

Can we be civilized with our balls to the walls?

Well - yes, but you have to listen to the lectures at the required stops.

Don

DAMN. Thwarted.

:blink:

That's life. It is "Nasty, Brutish and Short, and Then You Die" (Thomas Hobbs). So you better ride and dance now.

Don

Where's the LRG? Lazy riders group. :D

LRGs don't qualify.

Pansy is as pansy does.

Don

LRGs don't qualify.

Pansy is as pansy does.

Don

Whats flowers got to do with my riding habits? :D:D

LRGs don't qualify.

Pansy is as pansy does.

Don

Whats flowers got to do with my riding habits? :D:D

Expression dates me. It was used when I was in the Army in the sixties. Refered to someone not keeping up, probably spent too much time stopping to smell the flowers (pansies). So, if you were a slacker, you were a pansy lover hence a pansy.

Don

This ride is designed for riders of ALL types. There are some HARDWAY routes, but only those that are the more experienced riders on Dual Sport bikes should attempt those sections. The only part of this ride that could be a factor is just the mileage and time it takes to cover that distance. This is an ALL day, 200 mile ride, and may not be right for someone who's nervous about that much riding. However, there are quite a few bail out points. If you want to "TRY" this long ride and feel like you might get too tired, there is a bailout towards the B1 that will allow anyone to turn around and only do about 100 miles. You'd definitely want to be a GPS guy if that's the case, or have a riding partner that does.

We in NO WAY want to discourage ANYONE from doing this event, regardless of skill level. Just keep in mind:

1. It WILL be cold
  2. 90 miles range (including your spare bottles if needed)
  3. All day Ride, sun up to sun down
  4. 200 miles Day 1, 170mi Day 2

That's it, we'll be on the road at 7am on the 10th, I hope you ALL can make it!!!

Sorry, I thought these were just a general list of rules for group rides