piratemonkey

High temp fiberglass cloth

Can anybody suggest a good place to get high temp fiberglass cloth? I need to rewrap part of Fritz's exhaust. I'm also not sure if all fiberglass cloth is created equal so I didn't want to buy the wrong kind. Thanks for any help.

post-1009-1228085684_thumb.jpg

Heya Zina,

Any automotive header wrap from any automotive parts store will do you just fine.

Does anybody make a hard part to cover that area of pipe?

Uptite makes a nice cover for the mid pipe and it will match your skidplate. :o Ken

Thanks for the input. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a monster roll and it looks like there are smaller rolls I can get.

HondaPilot -- I need to wrap it because it's too close to the airbox and will melt it. It's one of those Husky design quirks like the kickstand that should be renamed to kickfall.

I will also be getting a guard for it, especially since I just noticed on the last ride that my leg is often against it when I'm trying to upright my bike.

I see, it all makes sense, and if you buy a 50' roll for $25 you'll never need to buy another. unless you wrap the entire header or want to do your car's exhaust too. :)

Z,

the best way is remove the aft pipe section and wrap with exhaust wrap ( pep boys, kragen etc) secure the wrap with .032 safety wire usually about 4 to 5 seperate wraps will do it.

important,,,,get a guard from up-tite, Motosportz or pirie

pirie http://pirieperfprod.com/p34strokebootguard.html (trick CF)

uptite

111 W Dyer Rd Ste B

Santa Ana, CA 92707

Phone: (714) 540-2920 (swiss cheese Al) mine

motosportz (Kelly)

http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/HVA-SS-Home.htm (I think its sheet steel)

The products from vicious are Rooster/ now dba Motosportz products

The products from vicious are Rooster/ now dba Motosportz products

Oh well, than I stand corrected....(or sit) :)

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail....egoryCode=3638B

This is the exact one I used on my TXC450,,, black wrap under the up-tite boot guard it is very unoticable and has held up very well, just don't pressure wash it. The small package is all you need, @ 15 bucks cost.

after wrapping, you should spray on a coating. I use DEI Hi temp silicone coating. The cloth will resist water, and will not want to frey.

Diversified materials in La Mesa, they have all the aircraft cloth I bought for the plane I'm building, you can get kevlar, carbon or various forms of glass, ask for Dave, he's the manager, they have it all in stock, you just cut what you need off the roll.

Can anybody suggest a good place to get high temp fiberglass cloth? I need to rewrap part of Fritz's exhaust. I'm also not sure if all fiberglass cloth is created equal so I didn't want to buy the wrong kind. Thanks for any help.

post-1009-1228085684_thumb.jpg

Have you done it yet? I wrapped The header pipes on my XR two years ago and they are holding up just fine, once in awhile they get a tear from stray rocks but it's an easy patch using left over wrap and black high temp permatex......

Kragen auto parts sells the high temp silcone header spray paint and the 1.5 inch wide header wrap, I think it's made by Thermotech. For around 50$ you get a roll of the wrap and the paint, with plenty of leftover material for patches if needed later.

I cleaned up the pipe and sprayed it before I wrapped it up and then sprayed the wrap once it dried (you should dampen it well before wrapping and use some kind of securing method (I used industrial sized "Zip Strips" to ensure it was wrapped tight).

Once the job is done and you fire the bike up it will smoke and stink to high heaven until it "Cooks" in (one good ride is enough) but the end result not only looks sharp but helps evacuate hot exhaust away from the header thus cooling it and making more ponies ;) Header wrap has been used for many years in almost all power-sports because it is a cheap and effective way to gain some more power.

Let me know if you'd like a hand with it and bring the bike to my place and we can run down the street

to Kragen to get the materials and we'll get it done.

Here's an old pic of the finished product....

127-2730_IMG.jpg

I did end up mortgaging my home for a roll of the wrap from the auto parts store. :ph34r:

I rewrapped it but it's already starting to fray just a touch so I know I'm going to have to redo it (which is ok since the roll is large enough to do a mummy). Next time I'll use an appropriate spray to make it more durable.

Thanks again everybody for the tips.