Crawdaddy

XPlane crash site tour inclusive of Husky Monument

Count me in for this ride. Curious as to how many people heading home Saturday night??

Pretty sure I'll be heading home Sat night if I'm solo (future hall pass points)......if Jarrett comes I may ride Sun too.....

and I think my valves might need just a little adjusting- will you be bringing any tools?

Hey Falso no problem with the valve adjustment. I know a special trick where I go in through the exhaust port with a punch and a hammer. Will get ya fixed up no problem!

I'm in, just have to work out the details. I have an enclosed trailer that will hold 4 bikes if we want to work on carpooling.

Slighly updated list:

The In's:

1) Crawdaddy

2) Jarrett

3) Strega

4) Zenosan

5) Fakename

6) Pirate Monkey

7) Tlking6

8) tntmo

9) Joliet

10) Jaynen

11) Bagstr

12) Kris

13) Blind_in_1_ear

14) Akcooper9

15) TomH

16) Dirty adventurer

17) Kevin

18) N2TM

19) HumptyThumpty

20) Grantzilla

The maybe's:

1) Christi

2) Dirt Dame

3) Yeti

we'll see how X-plane goes but I would like to do some more of these style rides, more of the exploratory stuff for sure. I would like to see more around yosemite/bass lake/miami trails etc would be cool to go up there to my Father in laws property and then do a big ride each day for a couple days if there are enough different roads and trails

The Bass Lake/Miami Trails area is fantastic but it's often not ready until July depending on the snow pack......the 2002 Bass Lake 250 was the first "organized" dualsport ride I entered.......and I've tried to get back there once a year ever since.....

The Bass Lake 250 is an awesome dual sport. We just got 16" of snow in the Bass Lake area and the snow line down to around 1000 feet. Not sure if it will be clear by mid Jan, but I seriously doubt it.

Hey Crawdaddy, as of the report I got from Kristi this morning, Schmidt camp is covered in snow from this last storm. Snow level is down to 2500 feet. I don't know if that snow will stick around for long, but this could make that portion of the trip interesting :lol:

Bring warm clothes my friends ;)

Hey Crawdaddy, as of the report I got from Kristi this morning, Schmidt camp is covered in snow from this last storm. Snow level is down to 2500 feet. I don't know if that snow will stick around for long, but this could make that portion of the trip interesting ;)

Bring warm clothes my friends :lol:

I have periodic bail points identified as waypoints in my tracks in case someone breaks down, gets tired/injured, or we're collectively freezing our butts off and want to detour. ;)

I have periodic bail points identified as waypoints in my tracks in case someone breaks down, gets tired/injured, or we're collectively freezing our butts off and want to detour. :lol:

Where did you say you got those heated grips?? ;)

Hey Crawdaddy, as of the report I got from Kristi this morning, Schmidt camp is covered in snow from this last storm. Snow level is down to 2500 feet. I don't know if that snow will stick around for long, but this could make that portion of the trip interesting ;)

Bring warm clothes my friends :lol:

I have periodic bail points identified as waypoints in my tracks in case someone breaks down, gets tired/injured, or we're collectively freezing our butts off and want to detour. ;)

Now that someone has Broken The Ice on this subject are there any Cool weather experts out there with any Hot predictions for this area on Jan 10?

Now that someone has Broken The Ice on this subject are there any Cool weather experts out there with any Hot predictions for this area on Jan 10?

Well, I "predict" that Strega will have Heated Grips on his bike by then! ;):)

Regardless of temps, EVERYONE should bring a primary and back-up pair of "SKI" socks (not those wimpy cotton moto socks), a Balaclava, WARM gloves, and some sort of wind/rain protection.....the ride will be much more enjoyable if you can keep the temp of the feet/face/hands under control.....

It's likely to be especially chilly when we LEAVE HINKLEY AT 7AM SHARP TO BEGIN THE RIDE ;):D:lol:

Ave Temps Barstow

Well, I "predict" that Strega will have Heated Grips on his bike by then! :lol::D

Regardless of temps, EVERYONE should bring a primary and back-up pair of "SKI" socks (not those wimpy cotton moto socks), a Balaclava, WARM gloves, and some sort of wind/rain protection.....the ride will be much more enjoyable if you can keep the temp of the feet/face/hands under control.....

It's likely to be especially chilly when we LEAVE HINKLEY AT 7AM SHARP TO BEGIN THE RIDE :o:D:)

Ave Temps Barstow

I'm just north here in Lemoore and it has been balls cold. Not sure the elevation we will pass through, but the snow line goes down as far as 1000 feet at some points and they were predicting snow on the valley floor even. We are supposed to have a hard freeze tomorrow with temps below 29 degrees for over 12 hours.

I just secured us the group rate at the Ramada Inn Hotel in Barstow. The normal rate is $95 + tax for 2 queen beds, but we are going to get it for $75 + tax. Put that extra $20 in the gas tank. We can thank the LA/Barstow/Vegas organizers for this one. The manager remembered our group from a few weeks ago and said we were a pleasure to have at the hotel. I'm glad everyone behaved :lol:

So here's the information:

Ramada Inn, Barstow

1511 East Main Street

Barstow, CA, 92311 US

Phone: 760-256-5673

Promotional Code is: X-PLANE (Works only if you call by phone)

Map: (Just put in your address, and get directions)

MAP HERE

that promo code works only by phone, not on the internet.

But it does work, and thanks!

that promo code works only by phone, not on the internet.

But it does work, and thanks!

Cool, updated my post to reflect that. Thanks for the heads up.

Ok, that’s it…..I’m through toying around with Tracks…..go HERE to upload them from Roger's site

The Sat ride will have a morning and afternoon “Hero” section and an optional/scenic section near Randsburg that adds on another ~8 miles.

I can't repeat it enough, this will be a BIG mileage day (~200 miles) even if you elect to skip all the Hero/optional sections……therefore we REALLY need to be rolling out of Hinkley at 7am and keep the stops short…..we’ll see how it goes in the morning……we may have to blow off the Burro Schmidt leg…..why? :D ......because this will be a good size group with a variety skill levels/bikes and we'll be stopping at several points of interest......if we average ~20mph (factoring in stops) it's STILL a "10 hour day" (minimum).....which puts us into Hinkley after nightfall.....I created various "bail" waypoints if anyone breaks down, gets tired, cold, etc.....

I'll let the cat outta the bag regarding my thoughts on a Sunday ride.....I think a trip to the Trona Pinnacles is bit too far north......and since we'll be staying at the Ramada, I thought some folks might want to ride to Baker and back as we did during the LA-B-V ride a few weeks ago......or part way and turn around......not a short day if you ride the entire ~160 mile loop (regardless of track)......I threw a few wrinkles into the mix that are different from the 08 LA-B-V (north of the 15)…….the stuff south of the 15 (MANX Wash /Afton Canyon are LA-B-V staples…….only “Heros” on Dualsport bikes probably want to mess with the ~15 miles of deep sand through MANX Wash and the deep water crossing in Afton Canyon (ask Shock/Kevin about the water crossing :lol: ).....you can cheat and dodge the deep sand wash by staying up on Yermo Rd to Afton Canyon Rd.......but there's no getting around the deep water crossing if you head down into Afton Canyon......

I think a good Sunday loop for the smaller bikes would be to take the dual sport route to Baker in the morning while you're fresh and then take the PM ADV route back to Barstow from Baker.....or just turn around in Baker and ride the Dual Sport route in reverse back to Barstow through Afton Canyon and blow off Manx wash on the return trip by cutting up to Yermo RD. and/or the ADV route.....for the bigger bikes, or folks looking for a mellower ride, I created a set of ADV tracks with a few wrinkles that differentiate the morning route from the afternoon route in a couple of sections.....

No Rollcharts, this will be navigation by GPS ONLY………I may try to figure out a way to print up some decent maps.....

Hopefully many of you have a Garmin GPS to preload the tracks, or have a Garmin GPS on the list you prepared for Santa :D:lol::D......regardless, we’ll space ourselves out and leap frog from turn to turn…..each rider will be responsible for the rider behind him/her at every significant turn to make sure we don’t lose anyone…..we’ll also have point/sweep with GPS/Radios….

I'll post some kind of "Summary/re-cap" thread as we get closer.......remember to pair up/reserve your rooms in Barstow before the 3rd.....

Final track for the even can be downloaded:

> > > > HERE < < < <

It is a .gdb file, which you will need to open from MapSource, and send to your GPS. There are 18 tracks, so you'll need to clear your tracks since it will only hold 20 at a time. I will have my laptop with us at the hotel, hopefully we won't need it.

Don't forget to call and get your room reserved using the X-PLANE promotional code that I have setup for us for this event.

Ramada Inn, Barstow

1511 East Main Street

Barstow, CA, 92311 US

Phone: 760-256-5673

Map: (Just put in your address, and get directions)

A HUGE set of thanks needs to go out to the Crawdaddy for spending HOURS of his time putting together these tracks. We've been on an email thread for days n days now where he's been tweaking tracks, making it so there is a place for every skill level to ride for this event and have a great time. I can't wait to do this ride and share the weekend with so many of our group!

Like Crawdaddy said, we cannot stress enough that this is going to be a VERY large group, and large groups tend to be somewhat slow, just due to the #'s. We need to leave Hinkley on time (7am), or we're gonna be riding in the dark. If you're staying at the Ramada, be READY to roll at 6:15am, as we'll be pulling out of the parking lot at 6:30am SHARP.

If anyone has any questions about this trip that haven't been answered in this thread, please feel free to PM either one of us (or ask in the thread), if one of us doesn't know, the other will and we'll get it figured out for you.

We have a few fun ideas that haven't been mentioned yet, but you'll just have to show up to see what they are!! :D

The In's:

1) Crawdaddy

2) Jarrett

3) Strega

4) Zenosan

5) Fakename

6) Pirate Monkey

7) Tlking6

8) tntmo

9) Joliet

10) Jaynen

11) Bagstr

12) Kris

13) Blind_in_1_ear

14) Akcooper9

15) TomH

16) Dirty adventurer

17) Kevin

18) N2TM

19) HumptyThumpty

20) Grantzilla

21) xxxinsd

22) No Shift

We are stopping for lunch someplace right but are the ramada crew planning on eating breakfast or anything?

We are stopping for lunch someplace right but are the ramada crew planning on eating breakfast or anything?

Day 1 lunch in Randsburg at the Whitehorse Saloon. Breakfast on Sat morning is optional as usual, I'm not sure what time the hotel continental breakfast is open. I would venture to guess 6am and if that's the case, that's where I'll be dressed and ready to go :D

The Ramada hosts a self serve continental breakfast beginning at 5:30am (at least that's when they kicked it off during the LA-B-V ride.......they *may* normally start it at 6am :D ....I’m not sure :D ).......regardless, bring energy bars, gels, jerky (whatever works for you) because our lunch stop will likely be in the ~2pm or later timeframe....

> > > > HERE < < < <

Loaded into both GPS- I'm going to test the Zumo vs the 60cs. On the screens, they look fine.

Breakfast-wise, I suggest we stop for pancakes and coffee at about 730, so we can all get a leisurely start on those last-minute maintenance and repair tasks before we start riding.

fn

Called the Ramada- breakfast is from 6-10 am.

Just a note- if you're hauling bikes in a truck or open trailer, remember to bring BIG LOCKS, chains and cables. Tarps are optional, but some recommend them to keep the wild, dilated crackhead eyes away from the goods. Apparently, Barstow is known for a few less-honest members of their population. Bikes were fine at last spring's Barstow-Ridgecrest, but be warned. Deaf-n-1-eye, I got you covered.

The Ramada's rooms are off a main indoor hallway, so sleeping with your bike is not an option.

fn

> > > > HERE < < < <

Loaded into both GPS- I'm going to test the Zumo vs the 60cs. On the screens, they look fine.

Breakfast-wise, I suggest we stop for pancakes and coffee at about 730, so we can all get a leisurely start on those last-minute maintenance and repair tasks before we start riding.

fn

IHOP

1441 E Main St

Barstow, CA 92311

A quick google for Barstow and BAM,,, Pork chops and eggs with a side of Blueberry cakes is the only way to start a 200+ mile day!

:D STILL not taking the bait.....wait a minute :o .......actually I guess I AM taking the bait since I'm replying! :D:D

Hey, listen folks, if you have a Garmin GPS and you've downloaded the file then you have all you need........please feel free to sleep in, eat late, etc.......might also want to make sure your headlights work. :)

If you don't have a GPS (and therefore don't have a clue where we'll be traveling).......I suggest you be ready to roll from Hinkley at 7am cuz the train is leaving the station at 7am with or without you (you've been warned)......best course of action would be too get up/eat early then " Shut up and Ride "..........can you feel the love? ;):lol::D

Geez, I sure hope "I'm" not running late on game day or I'll never hear the end of it (and rightly so) :lol::P:D