Crawdaddy

XPlane crash site tour inclusive of Husky Monument

Doubt if I could make this trip, but ya never know....

I'll keep an eye on this post. :D

Let's keep the chatter about the upcoming trip/ride over on this thread rather than the GPS stuff thread......

Regarding the couple of posts on fuel range, there will be enough "Mother Ship" vehicles to top off any "baby bikes".....this is an EASY ride so I plan on filling my 7.4 tank to the brim in case I need top off any smaller bikes......I'll be HAPPY/Looking to unload some fuel.....just flip me a few bones to help me refill my tank later :D

Jerry Counts said he posted some "better" tracks over on GPSXchange for the same ride.......I haven't looked at them yet.......by "better" he probably means more difficult/trails rather than roads......this may appeal to some of the faster folks......I'll take a look at his tracks and possibly augment my file with options......we may wind up splitting into two groups (minimum) to keep the enjoyment/pace/comfort level appropriate.....we'll figure that out as we get closer.....

Personally, I think the basic/easy route of fire roads/paved roads will take ALL DAY (~8+ hours) given the "group" dynamic and factoring in all the various rest/photo stops at the plane crash sites, Husky Monument, lunch, etc., etc......

Still need to decide on departing point - Kramer Junction or Hinkley (if we stay in Barstow the night before).....regardless, I'd encourage anyone interested in participating in this ride to head out somewhere in the general area the night before because I'd like to be "rolling" by ~7am......I'd rather start early and enjoy the sites/day than just crush out the miles due to a late start......one thing you need to know about me, I can get anal on the time thing.....it's my party and 7 means 7 in Daddy's world :D:) .......so if you know you have time issues.....just pretend I typed 6:30 above :D:D

I'd rather start early and enjoy the sites/day than just crush out the miles due to a late start......one thing you need to know about me, I can get anal on the time thing.....it's my party and 7 means 7 in Daddy's world :rolleyes::) .......so if you know you have time issues.....just pretend I typed 6:30 above ;):lol:

:D

:lol:;)

;):):D

:D :D:clapping::)

:D :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::

Ok, here’s the plan

I reviewed Scott’s Tracks and Jerry’s tracks and intermeshed them to form “Daddy’s tracks” :P:P …….basically it’s Jerry’s tracks east of 395 (various plane crash sites…...similar to Scott’s tracks but Jerry's tracks stay away from Kramer Junction and spend minimal time on 395 - :bad: ) and Scott’s tracks west of 395 (Burro Schmidt Tunnel & related points of interest – go HERE for more info on Burro Schmidt…..interesting character....I'd like to check out the area since we'll be nearby even though it's NOT a plane crash site....those who aren't interested in Burro Schmidt could just head into RANDSBURG

before or after the visit to the X-15 Monument and we'll meet ya in Randsburg on our way back through town.....or along the track back to Hinkley)

The ride will start/end at a gas station in Hinkley (near the intersection of Hinkley Road and Santa Fe Ave by the Post Office). Hinkley is ~10 miles from Barstow……your call (obviously :lol: ) as to whether you trailer to Hinkley or ride over to Hinkley from Barstow....I'll probably just leave my truck in Barstow (at whatever motel I stay at Friday night ;) ) so I can load up/jump back on the 15Fwy when we're done :P )

Rolling at 7am with gas tanks FULL out of Hinkley (after ~90 miles we'll take a ~4 mile detour over to Johannesburg to gas up the "little" bikes/tanks…..no need to top off in Johannesburg if you can cover 135 miles easily (we’ll be coming back through Johannesburg after lunch) …..after they top off we’ll head back out Trona Rd. to rejoin the track and then ride over to the X-15 monument, Burro Schmidt, etc.)

So, once we leave Hinkley, this is what we’ll cover:

- Rainbow Basin Scenic Loop

- XB-70 Crash Site and Monument

- F-104 Crash Site and Monument

- Black Mountain Petro-glyphs (or optional bypass/shortcut if you want to take a breather and meet us after the Petro-glyphs)

- Husky Monument (reported to be a fun sand wash and single track trail) (optional bailout here back to Hinkley…..the B-1 crash site is a short detour on the way back to Hinkley)

- Cuddyback dry lake bed (Twist your throttle and hold on!)

- Jo-Burg detour for gas (if/as needed) then back out to the X-15 Monument (Eagle Scout's project - very nicely done)

- Mingus Mead and Dawson Cabins (near old WWII airstrip)

- Burro Schmidt Tunnel

- Walsh cabins (great views!)

- El Paso Mtns to a late lunch stop at either the "White House Saloon" :P or the "General Store" depending on the size of "our" crowd and the availability of tables at the White House Saloon

- Gas in Johannesburg after lunch (~135 miles to this point so if you didn’t stop for gas on way out you’ll probably want to fill up now......I suppose I could fill up here too.....but gee, that's only a third of a tank on my 620 :D:D:P:D )

- Finish off with a mix of dirt/paved roads back to Hinkley with B1 site along the way

~190 miles total ;):)

That'll do it for me.......think I'll just head home Sat night so I can be home all day on Sunday (and earn more future hall pass points ;):lol::D )

Sounds great Chris. My practical side is telling me to take the DRZ adventure bike, but I don't know if my conscience will let me visit the Husky memorial with out the Husky. I will have the ponder this some more.

Is there some more difficult tracks available if we split into smaller groups? If not I may have to leave the Husky at home. :P Ken

Sounds great Chris. My practical side is telling me to take the DRZ adventure bike, but I don't know if my conscience will let me visit the Husky memorial with out the Husky. I will have the ponder this some more.

Is there some more difficult tracks available if we split into smaller groups? If not I may have to leave the Husky at home. :P Ken

At ~190 miles I opted to not throw in any add'l hardway tracks because that's already a LOT of miles to cover.....I'll be riding the 620....

Jerry Counts has some hardway stuff (in the Randsburg/El Paso area) in his library on GPSXchange.....that would be a fun option if you decided to head out a day early or stay a day late....

I guess you can only see so much stuff in one day. If you ever want to look at the "friends of jawbone" off highway vehicle map of the area (I have 2 copies) , we will have a beer and check it out one of these days. :P Ken

Hi Ken

I was thinking the same thing but none of my old Huskys are street legal. In fact the one I thought about taking is the same 390 bike buried in the memorial. Maybe I will just take a Honda XL, it is street legal.

Don

Another comment on my motivation in putting this ride together......

As Scott H mentioned in his original D37 post, "This ride is really setup to entice dual sport newbies and/or "Adventure" enthusiasts into trying to pull off a 200 mile single day ride and see some cool stuff along the way"........that's about it......experienced riders will find the ride technically boring but will also (hopefully) find the ride to be historically/socially interesting, scenic & enjoyable......

It'll also help some others with "self calibration"........it'll help them decide if their bikes/bodies are suited/ready to handle 200+ mile days, or multiple days, in the saddle (eg: Westfest 09).......

I'm looking forward to it......

i just got off the phone with Tom and we are in....if we are invited B) both ride plated wr's and can handle easy or hard trails...let us know what we can do to help

hey Chris let me know how many from Ramona are going . akcooper9 on Swartz Cyn. want to hook up. I have a 14ft trailer and the xtra cap Silverado we could haul some bikes if others want to drive a .....car? Hey Roger are you going?????

This sounds like a blast. The reason that I have my dual sport is to explore, and a 200 mile ride will get me out there.

I look forward to meeting some people on this site.

hey Chris let me know how many from Ramona are going . akcooper9 on Swartz Cyn. want to hook up. I have a 14ft trailer and the xtra cap Silverado we could haul some bikes if others want to drive a .....car? Hey Roger are you going?????

Yes sir, I'm in, busted foot or not :lol:

Is Barstow's Ramada the hotel of choice for this?

Barstow Ramada sounds fine to me.......the discounted rate for the LA-B-V ride was $75 for a room with 2 doubles......maybe I can get them to offer the same discounted D37 rate if we're booking X # of rooms? :lol::lol: .....we'll take a head count as we get closer and I’ll call’em up......

I want to reemphasize that even though the terrain on this ride is easy, this will be a LONG day since there will be ~200+ miles, many stops/sights, and a variety of riders/skill levels……please see post 27…….I’ll be rolling out of the Ramada parking lot by ~6:30……so I can be ready to roll out of Hinkley by 7am……why :lol: , because I don’t like riding in the cold/after dark :) …… so please be ready to roll from Hinkley at 7am if you want to tag along with the group…….or download the tracks and ride at your own leisure/pace…..doesn’t matter to me…..but I’m not interested in waiting for slackers in Hinkley…..

Regarding the group in general, we probably won’t be as lucky as we were this past weekend in terms of the low dust factor after the rains…….so I’ll be asking everyone to space themselves out for group visibility/safety/enjoyment…….we’ll leap frog from every split/turn and have walkie talkies on point/mid-point/sweep……it’s your responsibility to make sure the rider behind you sees you stopped at a Y junction/hard turn before you proceed…..and so it goes down the line…..

I added a track from the Ramada in Barstow to the gas station in Hinkley. I also added a small track for checking out Garlok on the way into to lunch, if anyone wants to check that out.

My updated track that I downloaded from Chris, is HERE

If you want to check it out in Google Earth, do so HERE

Once you have it open in Google Earth, try something fun by clicking on TOOLS > PLAY TOUR

Here is what it looks like:

xplanetour.jpg

Cool will have to check it out. And about Chris comment this is exactly why I must go on this ride to see how much 200 miles hurts to start prepping for west fest :)

Cool will have to check it out. And about Chris comment this is exactly why I must go on this ride to see how much 200 miles hurts to start prepping for west fest :)

Yep, I'd suggest anyone thinking about riding with me from Page, AZ. to Westfest 09 and back (or any other "multiday/extended mileage" ride) consider joining us on the X-Plane ride......or, if you can't make the X-Plane ride, go out and ride a couple hundred miles consisting of at least 50/50 fireroads/paved roads (doesn't have to be tough terrain)........the ideal scenario would be to ride at least ~150+ miles for a few days in row (like Honda Pilot's Beach to River ride).....riding 200+ miles on back to back to back (etc.) days will wear you down regardless of terrain/type of bike you're riding......most all of the days getting to CO. and getting back from CO. will be BIG MILEAGE days so you need to know that your body/soul is up to the task BEFORE you get a few days into "the Adventure".....I'd hate to see anyone make an early/solo ride back to Page.....

Riding from Vegas to home in one day wiped me out...that was a LONG ride. I really had a great time riding the event minus the lil foot issue, but I'd do it again in a heart beat. If anyone is up for a fri night to sunday night ride packing up the bikes, let me know. I'd like to get some more practice in sometime from Feb-June. January's XPlane ride will be a great time I'm sure, and very much looking forward to it.

we'll see how X-plane goes but I would like to do some more of these style rides, more of the exploratory stuff for sure. I would like to see more around yosemite/bass lake/miami trails etc would be cool to go up there to my Father in laws property and then do a big ride each day for a couple days if there are enough different roads and trails

we'll see how X-plane goes but I would like to do some more of these style rides, more of the exploratory stuff for sure. I would like to see more around yosemite/bass lake/miami trails etc would be cool to go up there to my Father in laws property and then do a big ride each day for a couple days if there are enough different roads and trails

The Bass Lake/Miami Trails area is fantastic but it's often not ready until July depending on the snow pack......the 2002 Bass Lake 250 was the first "organized" dualsport ride I entered.......and I've tried to get back there once a year ever since.....