Strega

BMW F650 Dakar

I went and looked at that bike up in Orange country. I got goose bumps

Yesterday I went to Veys Powerspots in Lakeside to look at a few of the Aprillias, Holy Cow batman!!!

The SW5.5 is very nice, however I was more interested in the PEGASO 650 trail which the guy said would be here next season...

Kind of priced a tad bit high,

There's not enough black on that thing for you....

Blue, now there's some blue! :unsure:

Weird gas cap placement...

Blue, now there's some blue! :unsure:

Weird gas cap placement...

Fuel tank is under the seat, 4 gal I believe.

I'd suggest you go check out a bunch of different bikes owned by friends or for sale and "ride'em"......a test ride on a 650GS, KTM 620/640, Honda650L, DR650, etc., etc., will help you decide on your path.......nothing beats a seat of the pants test ride......you've ridden my KTM.....maybe Kevin will let you ride his 650GS?......Gunner's 650L?.......KL's TE610?.....I’m sure many owners are open to allowing other members to take a test ride on "their" bike of choice?......different bikes/different tastes......that diversity is one of the strengths of our club......

When I rode Cerro Gordo a few years ago my partner was on a 650GS and I wound up having to ride both bikes in a few semi technical areas.....the Beemer seemed overly top heavy "to me" (though I'll grant you that ANY ~650 ADV bike would've seemed pretty boaty coming off my EXC 400)

I personally think that's one of the areas where KTM excels....."feel".......KTMs carry their weight low......and that makes them "feel" lighter than some other mfg's bikes in the same class/weight/power range......and, “to me”, that light feel is a real selling point………just my $.02

BTW, LA-B-V is in 3 weeks....so hurry up and decide/buy :ph34r::unsure::blink:

I have a fully built Husky TE610, you can try out. Again I am a bigger guy and its a blast. See you soon on the trails. Schwinn says ur a good guy so more than welcome to ride mine.

I have a fully built Husky TE610, you can try out. Again I am a bigger guy and its a blast. See you soon on the trails. Schwinn says ur a good guy so more than welcome to ride mine.

I appreciate that, thanks!

I'm basically lookin for an Adv Bike, not another Dual Sport. Something for the longer rides like West Fest, etc. I've kinda narrowed it down to the KTM 640 or BMW F650/800 (But no one is selling a used 800 at the moment)

Might have to do Vegas on my WR, and keep on the hunt for a Adv Bike this winter.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I've got some black spray paint. We can fix that for him. :unsure:

I.....the Beemer seemed overly top heavy "to me" (though I'll grant you that ANY ~650 ADV bike would've seemed pretty boaty coming off my EXC 400)

True, but then again, you can ride the Beemer across country without your butt feeling like a rock. Strega-you can test ride mine anytime.

krylon-i-e-ultra-flat.jpg

The G650X already comes in your choice of colors :ph34r: .....not sure how the X compares to the GS?? :unsure:

G650X.jpg

The X is more of a dirt bike, the GS is more of an adventure bike.

I've always thought the Dakar is one of the all time sexiest looking bikes ever made. I checked one out before I bought my Husky and it just felt too big to me for a dual sport. If I was looking for an adventure bike to do interstate stuff and fire roads it would be my first choice.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I've always thought the Dakar is one of the all time sexiest looking bikes ever made. I checked one out before I bought my Husky and it just felt too big to me for a dual sport. If I was looking for an adventure bike to do interstate stuff and fire roads it would be my first choice.

I want a more power than the Dakar 650.

Craig.

at the risk of feeding the pony; what are HP numbers for the Dakar, compared to a KLR, XRL and DR?

I would guess it matches up pretty well.

even considering that it has a different intended use

at the risk of feeding the pony; what are HP numbers for the Dakar, compared to a KLR, XRL and DR?

The 650 GS has 50BHP at 6000RPM. This bike will travel all day and night at 80mph while you travel across the USA without any problems at all. I ususally run mine at 85mph on the highway when I travel to other states. Mine has 50,000 miles. When I say 85mph all day, that is two up fully loaded/even across Nevada in the summer! The motor is built by Rotax which is also known for aircraft motors.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The 650 GS has 50BHP at 6000RPM. This bike will travel all day and night at 80mph while you travel across the USA without any problems at all. I ususally run mine at 85mph on the highway when I travel to other states. Mine has 50,000 miles. When I say 85mph all day, that is two up fully loaded/even across Nevada in the summer! The motor is built by Rotax which is also known for aircraft motors.

Thats why I want a 107 HP. VFR. All day 2 up at 110. 100,000 easy, and what an erotic sounding 4 cylinder motor. :ph34r:

Scott Seargent always says, (buy a street bike and a dirt bike)But never try to confuse the 2.

Craig. My .03

My friends that can realy ride say, (buy a street bike and a dirt bike)But never try to confuse the 2.

Craig. My .03

wrong forum...

we are all confused... we ride street legal dirt bikes, or dirt possible street bikes

I can't really ride, but I can spell "really"

Those three cents were worth every penny they cost

Oh rilly?

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Oh rilly?

Prolly can FN. ride. Hey It's BEER 30 in Carlsbad. :ph34r:

then I wish I was in Carlsbad... it's work for another 2 hours, then fight 8 east for 45 minutes, then pick up 3 kids and make dinner :ph34r:

Kevin. How "hardcore" is the terrain you and the ghost riderz take your bikes on? I really think that more than likely the larger ADV bike fits my desire to ride most the time. Longer distances, more scenic, less technical, more go someplace independent and not need my truck.

I could probably get by with a bike thats way more street oriented, if I can pick my way up a semi technical area with the intent of going someplace thats fine, I dont need to race through trails.

Anything more difficult than Kernan and I don't really think I need to go there lol, and I am pretty happy on the rocky, bumpy, washed out 2 tracks and roads.

Kevin. How "hardcore" is the terrain you and the ghost riderz take your bikes on? I really think that more than likely the larger ADV bike fits my desire to ride most the time. Longer distances, more scenic, less technical, more go someplace independent and not need my truck.

I could probably get by with a bike thats way more street oriented, if I can pick my way up a semi technical area with the intent of going someplace thats fine, I dont need to race through trails.

Anything more difficult than Kernan and I don't really think I need to go there lol, and I am pretty happy on the rocky, bumpy, washed out 2 tracks and roads.

You are correct, take the scenic less technical route. I have done Kernan many times/no problem. The fun part is where the dirt ends, and the street starts. On that ADV bikes the street is also fun as you dont have to go back to the truck. Give it a shot!

I have a fantastic little bike and I don't think I made a poor decision buying it, but I am just feeling like its the wrong bike for what I really want to be able to do. The Ride reports that excite me are stuff like Crawdaddy's Trip, the Bishop stuff, the idea of the LBV trip, Westfest, the WMRS trip etc. It doesn't help that I still have my little green sticker 250 which sort of already fills any need I have for something to ride with the wife. (which like never happens and feels largely like a waste :o )

you're right Jason- you have overlap between your two 250's- most of the group rides that your plated bike would do, the green sticker bike would be allowed (Lark, Corral, Superstition, OW, etc.)

You could lose the green sticker bike, though, and things like the Desert Dash would probably be funner on the 250, than a Dakar (but I've been wrong before)

As Kevin says; he has ridden Kernan numerous times, AND he can ride it to Arizona when he's done.

That's not something I would do on my DRZ, or even my XRL to be honest...

A KLR is a pretty good option, too