Sign in to follow this  

I carpooled with terrible619 since he lives 100 feet from my house. we loaded his bike, and he thinks to ask if I have an extra 18" tube... this is referred to as " foreshadowing"

load up and pack the extra tubes and start the long drive east... as we exit the freeway, I can see erick and jim pull up to the meeting spot 30 seconds before us

we (yuk) shake hands; thanks for that

we spent the next several hours getting lost, changing a flat, finding an awesome aerodynamic portapotty, and generally making asses of ourselves.

pictures will have to wait; slutbike took a nap on a loose uphill; erickbike took a nap in the warm sand.. drzs can jump but land like a ton of bricks; even with toms good form...

pics from me will have to wait til tomorrow;

erick and jim; nice meeting you

tom; a pleasure as always

That was quite a ride! Perfect weather, very comfortable. We definitely did some exploring. The terrain was, in a word, rocky. I had a blast. Bikeslut ran sweep, I was just in front of him, so I guess we both rode sweep. Thanks for looking out for me out there!

Here are a few pics of the day. We did a lot of riding, the pictures don't do the ride justice but never the less, they're still interesting to look at.

Here's Jimmy at the first stop of the day.

800IMG_0203.JPG

800IMG_0205.JPG

Bikeslut doing his thing

800IMG_0206.JPG

Terrible619 got a front flat early on. Luckily we rolled up on a nice tire changing station.

800IMG_0211.JPG

Or, is that a water collection station for the wildlife? Not sure...

800IMG_0213.JPG

Looking the other way.

800IMG_0212.JPG

Jimmy finishing off, probably the nastiest climb of the day.

800IMG_0214.JPG

Terrible619 doing the same

800IMG_0215.JPG

Here's a stop at the top of a mountian on the south side of the 8, a couple of mine shafts up there and an amazing view

800IMG_0217.JPG

Mine shaft

800IMG_0218.JPG

Bud Light Mine

800IMG_0221.JPG

Bikeslut and Terrible619 climbing on top of Bud Light Mine

800IMG_0223.JPG

Me, going in for a closer look

800IMG_0228.JPG

Glam shot of Erick

800IMG_0225.JPG

Views

800IMG_0229.JPG

800IMG_0230.JPG

Radio Tower, South side of the 8

800IMG_0232.JPG

I8 going through Jacumba

800IMG_0234.JPG

Jumping Jimmy

800IMG_0236.JPG

If you look real close, you'll see Bikeslut jumping on the left

800IMG_0237.JPG

Terrible619 at the end of the trail

800IMG_0247.JPG

Jimmy

800IMG_0253.JPG

Bikeslut, thanks again for coordinating and also for riding sweep and not heckling me too much. We had a great day.

Oh yeah. I also want to thank Bikeslut for telling the US Customs Agents to search my truck as he drove thorough the I8 check point just ahead of me. :)

Great pics! As I noticed one bike "without plate", I'd be interested in any rides in this area. If you can provide the start point, I'd appreciate it.

Sounds like fun, (even if it was at Jacumba) :) The flat tire part, not so great.

"Bikeslut ran sweep, I was just in front of him." AKA "bikeslutting."

Those pics made me jealous. When is the next Jacumba ride?

to be honest; we hit dead ends all day long...

fake name and I had much better luck, and brad seems to know the area well.

now that its cooling down, the options open up... ocotillo wells will likely be my next trip.

WOW! That looks like a great day. Good on ya fer getting out and doing it right.

now that its cooling down, the options open up... ocotillo wells will likely be my next trip.

Oct 15/16?

Thanks for the truck ride up there Mr Bikeslut. Bob always goes out of his way to make it a good ride for everyone. Even though it was Bob's ride he insisted that I lead and he rode sweep, and that meant we got to see every dead end trail in Jacumba. Next time will be smoother sailing if I can remember the turns...

Erick and Jimmy, dont worry, most guys on here know where thay are going and lead a good ride. Go on some more rides soon. It was good to meet both of ya.

Oh yeah, and I managed to flatten both tires today.... Holy Jebus!!! Oh well changing flats can be fun to, especialy with Bob umm... "coaching" you. :D

PICS!!!

Somewhere north of the freeway

IMG_1551.jpg

Loose rocky climb where the slut mobile took a nap (I missed it)

IMG_1555.jpg

Climbing to the mines in Valley of the Moon.

IMG_15581.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Jumping Jimmy

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Low...ri...der...

IMG_1562.jpg

i love this area the mine you guys were at is elliots mine there are four mines in that area that i know of.

south of the 8 there are lots of places to see. smugglers cave north of the 8 there is table mountain witch you have a pic of, lots of things to see including the overveiw of the carrizo gorge. ive never ridden there but have hiked and jeeped there lots of times, good place to night ride and camp at the end of the table mountain trail.

x

Nice pics!

bob, try the corrizo gorge overlook tracks I posted in the other thread next time. Its by far the best there is out there.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I had fun, last time I rode that area, Nice photo's, we came across lots of dead ends also. I loved the climb, to KLR canyon on the South side of the 8.

Maybe It wouuld make for a nice 2 day ride, for me, because of the 100+ street miles to get there. Do CC. 1 day, camp there, ride to jacumba in the morning-Jacumba-then home.

Craig.

I had fun, last time I rode that area, Nice photo's, we came across lots of dead ends also. I loved the climb, to KLR canyon on the South side of the 8.

Maybe It wouuld make for a nice 2 day ride, for me, because of the 100+ street miles to get there. Do CC. 1 day, camp there, ride to jacumba in the morning-Jacumba-then home.

Craig.

Not a bad idea, and maybe go down devils canyon and drop to ocotillo from jacumba, no pavement.

No dead ends if you know where to turn. Only 1 dead end is worth going to and no one else on here seems to be able to find that dead end. :D

OK- the pictures prove a couple of points... I was there... and my bike needs new springs... bottoming out front and back on that small of a jump is not good... I lost fillings

Brad- I, um, COULD download tracks if I wasn't a total Dumas (English pronunciation)

Some pics- Somehow I didn't get pictures of Erick... he is so blistering fast, that my camera couldn't focus...

So we have here Tom (Terrible 619), Jimmy (Lurker) and Erick (Erick)

Tom runs very low pressure, and runs quick, so he would have the pinch flats... lots of rocks out there, and Tom hits every launch pad he can find. Jimmy took the bait, and we explored a bit... Erick claimed he was at the edge of his comfort level, but you would never know it by the ride.

Pics I promised in no particular order...

post-122-1225826886_thumb.jpg

post-122-1225826917_thumb.jpg

post-122-1225826930_thumb.jpg

post-122-1225826941_thumb.jpg

post-122-1225826953_thumb.jpg

post-122-1225826968_thumb.jpg

post-122-1225826983_thumb.jpg

Great pics! As I noticed one bike "without plate", I'd be interested in any rides in this area. If you can provide the start point, I'd appreciate it.

exit 77- turn right off the freeway, turn right again on olde 80... maybe a HALF a mile is a dirt road on the right... turn there, then right at the T... park near the dirt underpass, and you're ready to roll

Oct 15/16?

Hopefully before then :angry:

sigh.... looks like good times... damn school.. ill bet the weather was perfect

we talked about you... I said kind of the same thing... damn school

skool never done teached me nothin and i comed out fine

The weather was as good as you could ever hope for! A little windy up by the radio tower...

it was the best tire changing experience I've ever had...

Nobody was hit... :D

Nobody squeezed the brake lever while the wheel was off... :D

MY knuckles are totally fine :lol:

and there was a bike stand/dump station/watering hole handy! Tom times his flats perfectly

Only one complaint from me. The Cholla cactus tend to stick out a little too far on the north side of the freeway.

we talked about you... I said kind of the same thing... damn school

skool never done teached me nothin and i comed out fine

The weather was as good as you could ever hope for! A little windy up by the radio tower...

it was the best tire changing experience I've ever had...

Nobody was hit... :D

Nobody squeezed the brake lever while the wheel was off... :lol:

MY knuckles are totally fine :D

and there was a bike stand/dump station/watering hole handy! Tom times his flats perfectly

Everytime I ride out there I have at least ten "flat tire scares".. I think ive just been lucky. Tom... not so lucky I guess! I think one of those tubes might have been mine :D ... maybe it was cuuuuuuursed....

Only one complaint from me. The Cholla cactus tend to stick out a little too far on the north side of the freeway.

I thought your handlebars were too far from the center of the trail