Sign in to follow this  
Jaynen

DL650 "Wee" strom questions

I know some of you guys have these bikes or have had them. How do they compare with TKC 80s on them etc to like Crawdaddy's ktm 620 ADV or the BMW 650's like the Dakar?

Crawdaddys looks decidedly more dirt worthy, as does the Dakar but I'm not sure what the trade offs are or if the DL650 can be fine if setup for it.

I know some of you guys have these bikes or have had them. How do they compare with TKC 80s on them etc to like Crawdaddy's ktm 620 ADV or the BMW 650's like the Dakar?

Crawdaddys looks decidedly more dirt worthy, as does the Dakar but I'm not sure what the trade offs are or if the DL650 can be fine if setup for it.

Sandiegoland has one, and has ridden some fairly tough trails on his... I had the 1000 and did some fairly tough stuff...

to me, they are a street bike, plain and simple.... yeah... a little more travel, and a more upright position; that's about it...

it was no better than some old standard bikes of the past...

I don't own a Strom, but my buddy did and we swapped bikes during a run on Otay Truck Trail so at least I have a little first hand knowledge. I think the Strom is well suited for that type of ride, gravel roads or two track forest service roads. In the right hands it can do much more, but it really isn't designed for it in my opinion.

Put a little bit more aggressive tires on it and start testing your limits. The KTM 620 and BMW 650 are going to be able to do more difficult trails with the same skill level rider.

I am just thinking at some point my WRR needs to go to DS duty and I need a proper ADV bike for "West fest" type trips and 2up.

I want to ride more without having to truck part way, and be able to zip to LA getting decent gas mileage or, the white mountain research station, or Bass Lake/Miami Creek in oakhurst whatever.

The biggest reason I don't show for rides right now is I can't really financially justify the gas to drive down and bike from north county

the DL 650 LOOKS like a street bike so thats why I was curious. How much are you compromising the travel ability and street manners with the BMW and KTM (those are singles also while the DL is a twin, seems like the DL gets better mileage)

KTM 640 or BMW 650/800 is gonna fit that bill pretty well I'm thinkin.

I just wonder how different the road manners are of a KTM 620/640 or BMW 650 vs my WRR

I am just thinking at some point my WRR needs to go to DS duty and I need a proper ADV bike for "West fest" type trips and 2up.

I want to ride more without having to truck part way, and be able to zip to LA getting decent gas mileage or, the white mountain research station, or Bass Lake/Miami Creek in oakhurst whatever.

The biggest reason I don't show for rides right now is I can't really financially justify the gas to drive down and bike from north county

the DL 650 LOOKS like a street bike so thats why I was curious. How much are you compromising the travel ability and street manners with the BMW and KTM (those are singles also while the DL is a twin, seems like the DL gets better mileage)

I would look at a 07 or earlier KLR 650 for that type of riding as well. Don't forget the Honda XR650L, maybe not as comfortable as the others and old school but quite capable. You could really go for it and get a KTM 950 or 990! :blink::D

The DL650 is just a UJM. It's well suited for any 2WD road in the country. The occasional accidental short 4WD section. Rock-crawler stuff forget it. Some people do it, but they do it just to prove the exception.

Jaynen your a pretty tall guy. I'm not sure you'll want to do any 500 mile days 2UP on anything smaller than a DL650 or and F650GS. If your litmus test is a ride to Colorado take a close look at those ride-reports and see what the 2UP folks took. 2nd, look how far away they came from. More than likely they were on a DL or a GS if they planned to do some fireroads, or a Goldwing for that matter if they just wanted to go there to party.

As for the TKC's, they'll just help you in the traction department in the dirt or occasional sand spots. They are not the choice for wet asphalt. I can eek out a fake stoppie on a Tourance, the TKC just skids. It's all a compromise like it's been said in everyone of these threads. If you want to have a blast on the dirt and pick a small bike you'll need to have an iron butt on the highway. If you want to have a more comfortable ride that isn't going to torture your bride for 1500 miles you are going to have to settle for the tamer passes when you get there.

You mentioned WMRS. I did that on DL650 with an Michelin Anakee rear. That same morning a R1150GS got hydro-locked on one of the seven water crossings. If you ride a big bike it's going to be a trade-off off-street, no matter how good you think it is set-up.

post-101-1224816202_thumb.jpg post-101-1224816269_thumb.jpg

White Mountains, WMRS 2007

A DL650 2UP ride with some gravel bits along the way...

To answer the first question. I would take the KTM up Kernon Cycle Trail, the Dakar too, but probably wouldn't enjoy it a whole lot (at first). I wouldn't take a V-Strom. Not mine at least.

I have an '05 DL650 and it hasn't hit dirt yet. There are a lot of them that have. From all of the reading I've done, it will do what's already been covered here. Check http://stromtrooper.com/ for more info. Also, California Scientific http://www.calsci.com/ for add ons. I put a skid plate/guard combo on mine for dirt when it finally gets there. I also added a removable backrest for my wife's comfort.

The easily adjustable rear preload is nice (knob on right side) and I consistantly get 50 mpg.

I think the recently posted archived photos prove we all are spoiled and if you wanted to muscle a Strom thru stuff more easily handled by more dirt worthy equipment, you could.

Ken

I would look at a 07 or earlier KLR 650 for that type of riding as well. Don't forget the Honda XR650L, maybe not as comfortable as the others and old school but quite capable. You could really go for it and get a KTM 950 or 990! :blink::D

I just don't think the KLR 650/XR650L would really be any different than my WRR when it comes to comfort for longer trips, I could be wrong of course but the engine size isn't what I don't like about the WRR and offroad of course the lighter weight is always a bonus

The DL650 is just a UJM. It's well suited for any 2WD road in the country. The occasional accidental short 4WD section. Rock-crawler stuff forget it. Some people do it, but they do it just to prove the exception.

Jaynen your a pretty tall guy. I'm not sure you'll want to do any 500 mile days 2UP on anything smaller than a DL650 or and F650GS. If your litmus test is a ride to Colorado take a close look at those ride-reports and see what the 2UP folks took. 2nd, look how far away they came from. More than likely they were on a DL or a GS if they planned to do some fireroads, or a Goldwing for that matter if they just wanted to go there to party.

As for the TKC's, they'll just help you in the traction department in the dirt or occasional sand spots. They are not the choice for wet asphalt. I can eek out a fake stoppie on a Tourance, the TKC just skids. It's all a compromise like it's been said in everyone of these threads. If you want to have a blast on the dirt and pick a small bike you'll need to have an iron butt on the highway. If you want to have a more comfortable ride that isn't going to torture your bride for 1500 miles you are going to have to settle for the tamer passes when you get there.

You mentioned WMRS. I did that on DL650 with an Michelin Anakee rear. That same morning a R1150GS got hydro-locked on one of the seven water crossings. If you ride a big bike it's going to be a trade-off off-street, no matter how good you think it is set-up.

post-101-1224816202_thumb.jpg post-101-1224816269_thumb.jpg

White Mountains, WMRS 2007

A DL650 2UP ride with some gravel bits along the way...

To answer the first question. I would take the KTM up Kernon Cycle Trail, the Dakar too, but probably wouldn't enjoy it a whole lot (at first). I wouldn't take a V-Strom. Not mine at least.

I know I don't personally have the stamina for a 500 mile trip in a day especially yet, but I would like to be able to ride to oregon and go through the cascades and the coast range taking as much gravel roads/fire roads and maybe easyish trails etc. Thats a dream of mine but I need a bike I feel comfortable riding those miles on the highway needed to get there. I've seen the proof that Bagstr can ride his 990adv on some relatively gnarly sections but i don't know if the DL650 really even comes to that level.

The comment about me being tall (32" inseam 6') by small do you mean seat height? Because I am also a relatively light skinny schmuck. The F650 is a single vs the dl650 is a twin, so the street power the Vstrom is probably going to be smoother and better handling while the bmw would be better offroad?

I guess the only true japanese equivalent is like the Tenere which we dont have here, I think the current Transalp is more of a UJM like the Vstrom

I just don't think the KLR 650/XR650L would really be any different than my WRR when it comes to comfort for longer trips, I could be wrong of course but the engine size isn't what I don't like about the WRR and offroad of course the lighter weight is always a bonus

I had a 08 KLR 650 and it was quite comfortable on the road and probably better off road then the DL650. I feel that the 07 and before KLRs are even better off road then the 08 and later. The plastic fairings are very pricey when you dump the later model KLRs. :lol::) The late model KLR is heaver then the older models as well.

I haven’t done any touring on it yet but I think that the KTM 950 or 990 will fit the bill for two up adventure riding very well. I have never ridden a BMW so I can’t speak for them, but they appear to be comfortable.

For long distance road touring it is hard to beat a Gold Wing for both comfort and price. My buddy has one that we do 3000 mile trips with. He also pulls a trailer with it. That Gold Wing even has a reverse in it. It appears to be much more comfortable that my Electra Glide. I’ve ridden it, it was comfortable but I felt detached from the road. I’ll keep the Harley but not because the price or comfort level is better.

All that being said people take the DL650 on adventure rides all the time. I think I’d rather ride the BMW 650 thumper or the BMW 800. They might be as comfortable and would be much better off road. My personnel choice is the KTM. Here is a warning though; Don’t sit on one unless you have decided to buy it. Once on that bike you will never go back! :):D

I have a mental block in my brain that keeps me from even entertaining a bike the size of the 990 KTMs, I've always been a "small car light car better handling" type guy hence why I chose to get the WRR in hopes it would be the do it all machine (which doesn't quite exist in perfection) I drool all over the new bmw800 but have also read a few negative things about it off road

I like the BMW sport touring bikes looks and such a lot but I am hesitant to have something that can only play on the pavement :lol:

I drool all over the new bmw800 but have also read a few negative things about it off road

I

It's an 800cc twin... of course they will have negative things to say...

dual sport IS compromise...

I got my V STrom with the intent of two up rides to far corners of the continent, taking any dirt path that appealed to me... some fishing tackle, a tent and bag, and enough food n drink for a week... I'd grow a soul patch, and commune with nature... detour to every twisty road the map showed.

reality: it sucked on dirt... my wife wouldn't ride that far... I can't fish to save my life...I can't grow facial hair...freeze dried food blows

MY compromise... a DRZ and an XRL.. a pick up truck with trailer... ride as close to the trail as I feel like that given day, and ride the dirt on a dirt capable bike.

I can grow facial hair so obviously it would work for me. Well and I do know how to fish.

I know its a compromise

My wife likes riding but hasnt ridden her quad much since we got it, so decisions while wanting to include her dont center around her. As much riding as possible that can avoid having to use the truck is advantageous though.

Sounds like the bmw or ktm or even a KLR might be better for me anyway

I rode a couple hundred miles this weekend maxing out at around 100 some miles in a day of riding. The new tires on my bike worked ok as I don't push it on the street but you can sure feel the vibration difference, and noise. Most noticeably in braking as the rear wheel would not lock on the pavement with the stock tw 301/302s

I should get a chance to ride offroad this thanksgiving weekend so we will see the difference it makes. After all the pavement I rode this weekend I am once again wondering when I might be able to afford a second bike and the DL-650 is definitely a strong contender. I'm fairly positive that with the suspension set right, a larger tank and a better seat I can fill most of my ADV riding requirements with the WRR.

But for "big bike" rides, longer distances, more pavement and 2up I feel like I will want something additional. I am afraid to test ride anything until I have more money saved away for fear of lusting after them

Since my first reply to your question, I've done about 25 miles of dirt road with Gbus Crisis who also has a 2005 DL650. Both bikes had stock tires...his worn more than mine. We did Otay Truck Trail from Otay Lakes to 94 east of Barret Junction. The road has mild incline/decline with one section that made me wonder if the tires would spin as we headed up.

No problems at all but I definately noticed the weight as it's over 200 lbs heavier than my WR. More agressive tires would have helped eliminate some of the downhill front end plows. Having 5.8 gallons sitting over the front didn't help.

I've done plenty of 2 up with the added backrest. I just put a Sargeant seat on which was a huge improvement. It's flatter so you don't slide into the tank and your passenger doesn't slide into you. Gbus didn't have an engine guard which I would have been nervous about as the front cylinder is hanging out there only protected by the oil cooler :lol:

For the type of ride you describe, it would be a good option. The price is more tolerable than the other choices and I've had zero problems in 5000 miles.

Again, StromTrooper.com has tons of info. They even have an "all black Strom" club...Strega.... :lol:

I have been reading some there. There is just so much to dig through :lol:

I would definitely run an engine guard and maybe even crash bars just because of the intended potential for off pavement use. Maybe stick to anakees or something tire wise without going all the way to TKC80's I dont know.

I'd like to be able to run up to LA for the weekend, join the LA weekend dudes riding over the bad roads/gravel/maybe even powerline type trails up at the Santa Clarita Divide in the morning and then later in the day or weekend go with my buddy to ride the roads and cruise the PCH over by the beach. All without having to use my truck and get home in Oceanside feeling comfortable and not worn out and wrecked.

300-400 miles in a day comfortably would let me go to LA and back if I wanted too/needed too, while riding 100-200 on the WRR is plenty and no way I would want to do 100 miles of straight highway on the bike 50-60 seems about my limit currently before the seat and now the handlebar vibes get too me a little bit

I also got some back stiffness over this weekend so I might need to look at riding position.

Having a seat on a new bike with a backrest for the wife and stuff would be awesome

Thought I'd chime in as a previous wee owner. I dumped mine a few time in rocks and gravel and the only thing that ever hit were the KTM hand guards and the front turn signals. Not a single scratch on the tank, ever.

The stock tires are limited for the weight of the bike and crappy in sand. The front washed out on me on some steeper rocky downhills. Did things on the wee its probably not designed for like small jumps, sand and some rocky stuff.

It really is not an offroad bike. Great for fire roads, gravel and some double track stuff. Bulletproof and strong engine. The suspension is not set up for offroad and I thought the breaks could have been better.

The wee is fantastic for the street and commuting. Good gas mileage and a kick in the pants to ride.

I can't say I miss the ol girl though. That being said, I did ride a buddies F800GS and HOLY SH!T is that thing, the perfect big bore dual sport! Wow. Real offroad capability for a big bike and strong motor, suspension and brakes. As TNTMO knows, I'll probably have a 800GS soon.

Thought I'd chime in as a previous wee owner. I dumped mine a few time in rocks and gravel and the only thing that ever hit were the KTM hand guards and the front turn signals. Not a single scratch on the tank, ever.

The stock tires are limited for the weight of the bike and crappy in sand. The front washed out on me on some steeper rocky downhills. Did things on the wee its probably not designed for like small jumps, sand and some rocky stuff.

It really is not an offroad bike. Great for fire roads, gravel and some double track stuff. Bulletproof and strong engine. The suspension is not set up for offroad and I thought the breaks could have been better.

The wee is fantastic for the street and commuting. Good gas mileage and a kick in the pants to ride.

I can't say I miss the ol girl though. That being said, I did ride a buddies F800GS and HOLY SH!T is that thing, the perfect big bore dual sport! Wow. Real offroad capability for a big bike and strong motor, suspension and brakes. As TNTMO knows, I'll probably have a 800GS soon.

that is what I was afraid of... damn you! Sounds expensive -_-

As TNTMO knows, I'll probably have a 800GS soon.

Take a picture when you do, I know it will be soon ya damn goof!

TrailTrick (Javier) is one of the riders in the LA area and he opened a suspension tuning shop hes done a guys new F800GS and made it loads better. It's probably the ideal bike but 2-3x as much as buying a decent farkled dl650

really as people have said tho I would not need the wee to go on anything harder than bad roads or 2 track. If you need 4wd to go up it usually probably wouldnt be riding there anyway. But for example I am sure a wee could do the Xplane ride and maybe most of our planned route to Westfest with decent tires

I also saw some guys took the front fairings down and had them linex'd for 100 bucks. Made them almost bulletproof when it comes to scratches and it looked pretty cool imo

The f800gs is still one of my dream bikes but at that price I figure I am a lot more likely to pick up the suzuki.

Especially since I will want to farkle the bike with protection, tires, luggage, suspension, windscreen, gps etc

90% of what I rode last time i was in the desert probably would be doable, but the deep sand would have been terrible and the whoops too. I go slow enough anyway but the weight would be killer.

Jaynen,

If you haven't tested one at a dealer, go for it. It may give you a first impression you like...or not. I can sense your brain wracking (like mine does) and it may help.

With a tire change, I'd take mine on some of the rides posted here. I'd tone it down a bunch compared to my WR riding, which may mean I go backwards....but.... :lol:

Im avoiding riding one because I can't swing buying one if I want it that bad right now :lol:

Im avoiding riding one because I can't swing buying one if I want it that bad right now :D

Sounds like the same logic that kept Roger off Doug's 950 during the LA-B-V ride :lol:B)

Really I need to see how I do on the X-plane ride, and try a buttpad and a bigger tank etc on my current bike first ;p while saving up