Joliet

Got an old bike today

I found what I think is a good deal on this 1995 Yamaha Virago 750.

PA100016.jpg

It has lots of little pits in the chrome. So I won't have to worry about keeping it looking like one of gunners bikes B)

PA100018.jpg

This is the main reason I bought it from the origional owner.

PA100019.jpg

Later, B) Ken

You picked it up? Awesome! It looks better than you described. I was expecting something a bit morpe "rat bike" from what you said. B)

Congrats!

What kinda knobbies are you putting on it? B)B):)

PA100016.jpg

It has lots of little pits in the chrome. So I won't have to worry about keeping it looking like one of gunners bikes :blink:

PA100018.jpg

This is the main reason I bought it from the origional owner.

PA100019.jpg

Later, :) Ken

Hi Ken

Glad to see you got a Virago. Looks nice. I didn't get to show you mine (86 XV700) at the BMW event because we were too busy watching crazy stunts and stuffing our faces with hamburgers. I will be happy to do a Virago ride with you someday soon. I will be out of town this weekend (Lake Powell) through Tuesday. I would like to get a closer look at it when I come back.

Don

For real low mileage? If so, somebody didn't spend too much time enjoying their machine. :blink:

But lucky for you. :)

If you look closely in the last pic, you can see many little spots on the blinker, that is pretty typical of the (plastic) chrome on the bike. I have sprayed it down with WD-40 and will let it soak for a day or two and then try to rub some of the chrome out. Any suggestions on what to use. I was thinking fine steel wool, but I am open for suggestions.

Don, I took a look at your bike at gunners maint. party. I want to look this one over good, change the oil, do some minor adjusting, and then I will be ready for a ride. Have a good time at Powell. :blink: Ken

For real low mileage? If so, somebody didn't spend too much time enjoying their machine. :)

But lucky for you. :)

The guy bought it new from fun bike center in late 05, got married shortly after and moved to Hawaii. He rode it a few times when he came back for vacations and never even got his motorcycle license, which may have helped attribute to the low miles also. It is different having a bike with a comfortable seat, I need to get one of these for the husky :blink: .

If you look closely in the last pic, you can see many little spots on the blinker, that is pretty typical of the (plastic) chrome on the bike. I have sprayed it down with WD-40 and will let it soak for a day or two and then try to rub some of the chrome out. Any suggestions on what to use. I was thinking fine steel wool, but I am open for suggestions.

Don, I took a look at your bike at gunners maint. party. I want to look this one over good, change the oil, do some minor adjusting, and then I will be ready for a ride. Have a good time at Powell. :blink: Ken

Ken

I think you will like the bike. It is a very comfortable but agile cruiser. Short wheel base and not nearly as heavy as it looks. I have had mine for over 20 years and had no trouble with it that was it's fault. There have been time when I didn't ride it enough and the carbs got gummy. They are a pain to remove and clean. But the bike is very smooth and pleasant to drive.

If you have any questions about the bike let me know. There is a very good web site called Viragotec that has a lot of very good information on it.

Don

Ever tried NeverDull? Good stuff.

Nice looking Virago. I had one given to me last year, I think it was a mid 80's model. I got it running and gave it to friend who was learning to ride but I almost kept it myself since I really liked it. That bike had a lot of miles on it and ran perfect.

Enjoy!

Good on you Ken! The Virago's are a solid reliable machine (Just ask Zenosan). Be mindful of the "Jacking" effect while giving her some throttle in corners, shaft drives are a little different than chain drives in that aspect....it's something I had to adjust to while learning to control the VMax :blink:

Hope to enjoy some cruises with you and the others here that have street bikes too!

As far as the pits in the chrome.....here's an alternative....I want to "De-Chrome" some stuff on the VMax by getting them powder coated by Tree when I can afford to do it.

I like the looks of a toned down bike like SCHWINN's Harley. :rolleyes:

How much did it run you Ken?

It looks like a sweet old bike.

I bought it for $1500. My wife thinks we may have to sell it to have some Christmas money, but I think I can swing it with out selling it. I find it strange that you can pick up a good running bike with low milage for that cheep. Later, :rolleyes: Ken

1500 is awesome. Makes me wonder if I could sell my DRZ-250 and use it to buy an older street bike that my wife could go on rides with me

1500 is awesome. Makes me wonder if I could sell my DRZ-250 and use it to buy an older street bike that my wife could go on rides with me

Keep an eye on craigslist, I have seen (and got) some serious deals there.

Keep an eye on craigslist, I have seen (and got) some serious deals there.

Technically I need to sell the other bike and should probably put that money in the kitty for the WRR anyway but :rolleyes: you never know.