I have to apologize for the confusion. :blink:

I did not know there were 2 Packards in Ramona. :P

So there was Packards 1 & 2. (P-1, P-2)From the Packards 1 stand point.

We met at Packards.

Posted Image

This Packards by the Circle K.

Posted Image

10 riders showed at this location and we waited for almost an hour for riders before heading out. We took off out from Ramona towards some forest service roads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was a fun road that headed towards Black Canyon Rd.

Posted Image

We neared Black Canyon and gathered our riders to give the plan and continued.

Posted Image

we went up to Mesa Grande Rd and went north. A few miles down the road and a rider just stopped. Flat tire, we decieded to ride to the Hideaway at Center Loop and fix it.

Posted Image

This is a good time to ask what kind of gear do you carry? Do you have a spare tube and the tools to change it?? What if we were 30 miles deep off road?? Could you make it out???

I offered up my spare tube and some of my gear to change it and we got it changed.

Posted Image

You know if the tire pressure is too low you can rip the stem out.

Posted Image

We got the tire all fixed up and took off towards Warner Springs to hopfully meet the other group.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We topped off and headed down the road to Lost Valley/Indian Flats or something like that.

Posted Image

Some good dirt from Warners to Anza. We then asked if anyone wanted to continue North and 5 hands went up. At this point I wanted to ride Palomar and get something to eat. It ended up 2 riders went north the rest went for food.

Borritos and Beer.

Posted Image

then we headed towards Palomar. We started up the mountain and saw a couple of riders going down and stopped. Craig was talking to them.

Posted Image

After a few words we met the Packards 2 group coming down. Our VP, Kevin in this Pic

Posted Image

We swapped stories and discussed things for a while. I wanted to ride. So P-1 went up towards Palomar and P-2 went down. We went up to the lookout.

Posted Image

Took the Palomar divide down to the highway, had a blast on the way down. Got to the highway and, I am sorry Chief. godda do it. (EOC, SCW, Seabees) B)

This is for the XRL's.

You got your fork brace, fork guards, Saharra tank, Stainless header and exhuast, Carb mods, Air box mods & filter, Smog bull gone, Sharfin, HD chain Argh, Argh, Argh, Argh. The Honda Bling! Yes ,I am jealous!

Posted Image

BD Skid plate.

Posted Image

Priceless!!

Posted Image

Cracked side cover from small rock.

It could have been worse. A simple tow to a gas station, and a friend on the way with trailer.

I rode flat track home via Julian. 11 hours, just shy of 250 miles. Another good ride. :P

Great ride for my first time out with this gang! This is the longest ride I've done on the DRZ400 - both street and pavement. Did 152 miles round trip from my home in Ramona.

Note to self: check your tires air pressure, bring spare tubes, bring tools.

Really appreciate all of the help getting that front tube changed out quickly.

I owe you one!

Look forward to going out again soon.

Bruce

Ramona, CA

Population in 2000: 15,691

Median Household Income: $48,625

Number of Coffee Shops: 6

Number of Coffee Shops named "Packards": 2

=======

Packard's Coffee Shop - Aerial View

680 Main Street

Ramona, CA 92065

Packards Coffee Espresso Etc

1140 Main Street, Suite 107

Ramona, CA 92065-2150

=======

Thanks to GSRich for routing us from Warner Springs to Anza.

We then asked if anyone wanted to continue North and 5 hands went up. At this point I wanted to ride Palomar and get something to eat. It ended up 2 riders went north the rest went for food.

Yea, that was kind of funny. I honestly thought we were sending 4 folks with GSRich, but within moments food won out. I hope you had a good run up north.

Just some photos to add to Carguy's report:

Posted Image

Posted Image

We made a dam to contain the oil. :blink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

We took the oil and contaminated dirt to the gas station. :P

Posted Image

Who's tailgating Carguy? B)

Posted Image

I want to thank you all for letting me tag along yesterday. I am toatally hooked on exploring the back trails of this county and beyond now. I was very impressed with with you all. I want to especially thank Steve who rode his bike all the way from Warner Springs to his home in Lakeside and then drove his truck all the way back up there to ferry my busted bike home. For a guy to do that for someone he only knew for a few hours says allot about his character.

Steve (and also the rest of you guys) I want you to know that you found a loyal friend in me, I will be there to lend a hand for you guys anytime ! I believe good friends are hard to come by in this life and when found they are treasured.

For carguy here is my check list for my next ride:

Duunlop 606's F/R

SKID PLATE!!!!!!!!!

Spare Tubes

Tire Irons

Tow Strap

Maps & my GPS so I know where the hell I am

extra lunch & beer money!

Thanks to all again

Group two reporting in. We started from the "other Packards" and headed the same way. Black Canyon to the Hideout at the bottom of Palomar. Watched the North County Corvette Car Club come through-Nice rides!!. There on two Warner Springs for Fuel. We just missed group 1 by 5 minutes. From there up to Palomar Divide. We met group one coming down the back side. The two guys you met before my arrival were also with us, but they had to get back to town by 3:00. We went to Anza for fuel, then we separted again. Alex & Hondapilot headed home, myself, pyro, and titanium headed up to Paradise Restaruant at the 74/371 junction for nice sitdown burger on the patio. We just missed the live band by about 1/2 hour. Then onto Mt Thomas. We road all dirt from there to Hemet. 30 miles of dirt-an awesome trail system out there. THere on to Winchester Road to Temecula and then I-15 home. Got home around 10.30PM. Pyro can add to this write report with his GPS Stats. The Mt Thomas trial he has logged, as I recommend it. Our group had more fun than the other "Packard" group, so neener neener!!!!. Iam not a camera guy, so sorry, no pics! Kev

Baja Bob on the 1200GS and GSRich on the Honda XR400 left group 1 in Anza and headed for Thomas Mountain. Thomas Mountain is really great and there is lots more to explore in that area. We rode to the top and then down the back side. Rode the tarmac to Idylwild and had a burger and beer while listening to a kid rock band. At about 3:30 PM we headed to Pine Cove and then onto the dirt again. About 20 miles of dirt down to Hemet with some great views much like Thomas Mountain. It was about 5:00 PM so we headed to Sage road and west to Temecula and I 15 home. I was home by 7:00 PM with 230 miles on the clock.

It was really great to finally ride with this group. Thanks for letting me lead the first part. Wish you guys could have seen Thomas Mountain...maybe next time.

I like how the group sticks together and helps each other when bad things happen. We should have a call list put together for rescues. I am always ready to grab the truck and tie-downs to retrieve a stranded rider. It seems most of the riders feel the same.

See ya next time.

We had a great ride! Special thanks to Kevin for leadings group 2. We could not have done it without you man! And who would have guessed there could be two Packards in that one little town? Classic. :blink:

I wish I had better GPS info to fulfill your request Kevin, but unfortunately I am just figuring out how to use this thing and don't have much to offer. The first leg of the ride was awesome. It included the Palomar Divide and other great trails. I have never visited any of these areas before, so I was absolutely loving it!

The second leg, the Mt. Thomas run, turned out to be a real treat. As noted above, there is a ton of territory out there to explore, and I think we should plan to revisit this area soon. We started at the east entrance traveling up through fantastic pine forest to what seemed to be the top, finding ourselves at this great little hilltop camping spot. Our peak elevation there was close to 7000 ft. with great views and a cool breeze. Coming down the other side, heading west, we were presented with several forks in the trail. They all looked great, so we just took a quick vote and picked a direction to continue riding in. By 7pm we found ourselves coming twards the bottom after close to 40 miles of solid dirt.

By now Titanuim and I had clocked in close to 200 miles in about 12 hours, and were feeling a little tired. Kevin of coarse was ready to rock and roll some more, but we opted to head down through east Hemet, eventually picking up the 215 to the 15, finally getting back to Ocean Beach around 10pm. My $65 dollar pawn-shop gps is telling me that we spent 8 hours and 51 minutes in the saddle, 5 hours 30 minutes stopped, 255 total miles, average speed 26.5 mph, with a max speed of XXX.X (censored) . :P mawahAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Other notes:

-Paradise (north of Anza) has awesome burgers and great fries (mmmMMMM)

-Titanium thinks the chicks in Hemet are hot

-Traveling on the highway at night into oncoming headlights with dusty goggles is not recommended. Boost your survival percentage a few thousand points by stopping @ your nearest am/pm to clean them.

Great job to everyone in our group.

We'll see ya'll out in the dirt sometime soon!

RIDE ON ! ! !

Pyro, lets chip-in and get Titanium some classes about the chicks in Hemet! It was great riding with you guys. I got the taillight fixed, ready for the next ride. Kev

I enjoyed my first ride with the group. I will be purchasing some bags and gear before the next ride. Thanks for the first hand lesson on air pressure and skid plates.

I was with P-2, great riding through Black C. and Polamar D. (first time for me). I was very interested in going for Thomas Mt. but, had to turn after Polamar and took relaxing 79-78-Poway back to SD. I was home at 5 pm with 200 round trip miles on.

It was nice seeing everybody :D

Till next riding :D

I was in the group 2. First of all sorry about the wait on Packards, I had to rush to Home Depot and get some nuts for my chain adjusting plate (or whatever that is called). I was so lucky that I catched with the group 2.

Special thanks to:

Kevin for leading us and getting us on to those awesome trails

Honda Pilot for watching my back on the way down from Palomar Divide,

Pyro for finding my chain adjusting plate with his eagle eyes and watching my back on the Thomas Mountain ride.

Especially Thomas Mountain ride was a blast!!!

As this was my first real off road ride experience, I felt like I was riding a roller coaster which I had the controls.

Thanks to all and can't wait to join the next ride.

P.S> Yeah we gotta work on the chicks @ Hemet. :D

Group 2 riders were successfully foiled into meeting up at Packards II on 1140 Main St by Stevesyonara. Stevesyonara, strange that you didn't follow your own directions but we thank you. As Kevin wrote, we did have more fun. :D

Posted Image

The VP was a great leader on this ride. He was quick to laugh, always ready with an interesting motorcycling adventure story, and had a great route picked out for us.

The riders:

Kevin (Dakar)

Pyro (KLR 650)

Titanium (KLR 650)

Honda Pilot (XR650)

papaalex (DR650)

SuperDave (DR650)

Pacifico (DR650)

Posted Image

Overview of the ride report - lost GPS signal part way through.

Posted Image

Forest Rd and Black Canyon Rd

Posted Image

Palomar Mtn

Posted Image

Titanium with the KLR's

Posted Image

DR650's

SuperDave and I couldn't have picked a better day or a better group of riders to complete our first dirt ride. Everyone pitched in when I had a laydown, getoff, or washout with helpful advice and an eager hand to right my motorcycle.

Posted Image

SuperDave

Posted Image

Pacifico's bashed barkbuster.

Posted Image

Honestly, I really did want to ride up that embankment to get a better picture of YFF's! I didn't make it past the sand at the bottom, but I did get a picture!

I had to get back to town by 3pm so we left the group at 1pm. The rest of group two explored the Palomar Mtn overlook as SuperDave and I headed down the north side alone.

Posted Image

We would have been able to make it back home sooner if SuperDave hadn't noticed my license plate falling off at 80 mph on the 15S. A quick repair and a bathroom break in the emergency lane... we were only 15 minutes late. That's no reason for my girlfriend to be upset, right?

Distance: 120 miles

Time: 5 hours

Avg Heart Rate: 119 (Zone 2 - the fat burning zone)

Avg Speed: 23.2 mph

All Photos

Posted Image

SuperDave and I decided that we needed a little practice changing a tube last night.

Will the tube hold air? Was the bead ever properly seated? Stay tuned...

:D

Awesome Pics Guys!

I just picked up an 06 Leftover XR650L and look forward to heading out with you guys soon!

Quick question, whos bike is this:

Posted Image?

I am curious what brand and size that tank is?

Thanks

Guest stevensyanora
Group 2 riders were successfully foiled into meeting up at Packards II on 1140 Main St by Stevesyonara. Stevesyonara, strange that you didn't follow your own directions but we thank you. As Kevin wrote, we did have more fun. :D

well I thought Iwas going to get away with it but ya had to bust me.. :D in my own defence all I can say is the address that came up on the net was the one I posted (who would think there would be 2 packards)so SOLLY we most certainly would spiked the fun meter had your crew been with us ....see ya steve ..................... P.S thats chief gunners bling bike Sweet huh..it got it all ...well almost everything.. :D