Sign in to follow this  
roostingu

MSR dromedary bags

I am new to the area and have no idea what REI is , I have seen them on the internet but the shipping is more than the bottle. do they have stores locally?

I am new to the area and have no idea what REI is , I have seen them on the internet but the shipping is more than the bottle. do they have stores locally?

one in Encinitas and one off of the 52 in San Diego.

Also there is a Sports Chalet in San Marcos that would probably carry the fuel bottle.

I called 2 REI's before one said they had them in stock. I heard a rumor about 3 months ago that the 33oz bottles sold out fast and the new run of manufacturing hasn't happened yet. If you wanna borrow 2 bottles for something let me know, be happy to loan mine to ya.

I got mine at Sports Challet just off the 78 in San Marcos. They were kind of pricey at 15.99 each. :) Ken

I just read about a guy that is using a plastic chemical storage container for extra gas. THey are similar to the camelback bladders in that they will hold 70oz of liquid yet fold up to next to nothing when empty. Regardless of what the fearful might say I like the idea of not having a ridged empty container to lug around after it's used. I think the guy was going over a Trans-America Trail packout on ADVrider. I'll see if I can find it.

Jon

Jeff,

Your closest REI, near 52 and Convoy....5556 Copley Drive

San Diego, CA 92111

(858) 279-4400

Yeah I need to get some of those for my Dirt Bagz since my puny 2 gallon tank sucks even two of those would only bring my range up to like 150ish

Yeah I need to get some of those for my Dirt Bagz since my puny 2 gallon tank sucks even two of those would only bring my range up to like 150ish

ONLY 150???

I get 100 mi before I go to reserve on an IMS 3.3 gallon tank :)

I've spent a "toilet session" looking through ADVrider for the chem-bags. I saw the post in the Te-610 thread unfortunately there's gotta be 50 pages of new posts since I'd looked at that thread. I'll look more the next time I'm "surfing the porcelien".

Jeff,

San Diego, CA 92111

(858) 279-4400

My personal opinion. I wouldn't buy anything at REI anymore. REI is a major supporter/sponsor of the Sierra

Club, a big environmental lobbying group that LOVES to close OHV areas and trails. Buy it online.

Jeff,

San Diego, CA 92111

(858) 279-4400

My personal opinion. I wouldn't buy anything at REI anymore. REI is a major supporter/sponsor of the Sierra

Club, a big environmental lobbying group that LOVES to close OHV areas and trails. Buy it online.

ditto

I've spent a "toilet session" looking through ADVrider for the chem-bags. I saw the post in the Te-610 thread unfortunately there's gotta be 50 pages of new posts since I'd looked at that thread. I'll look more the next time I'm "surfing the porcelien".

ya I think I saw what you were talking about a while back a soft sided bladder meant for drinking liquids but the guy said he had used it for fuel with no ill effects, I like the idea I don't remember the closure I would want it to be a non-leaker. edit

http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/dromedary.asp

I was just looking at an old ktmtalk thread and remembered this is this what you were refering to Jon

The post from the 610 rider specifically stated they were chemical storage bags and that he filled them with gas and left them is the sun to test their fortitude before using them on a trail.

Jon

Well I bought the dromendary or whatever it is called I got the 4 liter bag probably only fill it half way it has a condura outside fabric and made to be tougher than a normal hydration bag, supposedly you can fill it on drive a car over it? anyway the guy on ktmtalk said he had tested it by filling with gas and letting it sit outside for about a week with no leaks or problems it has only 1 opening a heavy screw on cap, think it may be ok, what I like is if you are not using it or don't need to carry the gas it folds to nothing, say you change plans and think you may not make the next gas stop, while filling the bike, put say 2to3 liters in it and in the pocket of the ogio flight vest, thats the idea anyway? :lol:

Well I bought the dromendary or whatever it is called I got the 4 liter bag probably only fill it half way it has a condura outside fabric and made to be tougher than a normal hydration bag, supposedly you can fill it on drive a car over it? anyway the guy on ktmtalk said he had tested it by filling with gas and letting it sit outside for about a week with no leaks or problems it has only 1 opening a heavy screw on cap, think it may be ok, what I like is if you are not using it or don't need to carry the gas it folds to nothing, say you change plans and think you may not make the next gas stop, while filling the bike, put say 2to3 liters in it and in the pocket of the ogio flight vest, thats the idea anyway? :lol:

Sounds like a perfect fit for my Dirt Bagz which are soft sided panniers on my bike.

where did you get this thing dromedary

How difficult is the cap to use for filling and pouring it into the gas tank?

I will tell you after I try it , but it is about 2.5' hole for filling or pouring and in the middle of the cap there is a flip up spout for a stream but I think it would be just as easy to pour and much quicker ?

It is easy to fill out of a fuel jug, might be harder at a gas pump. It is very easy to pour the fuel into the bike, but you have to go for it, you can't try to pour slowly, just turn it upside down quickly. The key to the fuel bottles is don't try to fill them too much, leave the recommended air space. :friends: Ken

It is easy to fill out of a fuel jug, might be harder at a gas pump. It is very easy to pour the fuel into the bike, but you have to go for it, you can't try to pour slowly, just turn it upside down quickly. The key to the fuel bottles is don't try to fill them too much, leave the recommended air space. :drinks: Ken

Now, I'm not the most law abiding citizen around but I do know that the MSR dromedary bags are not approved as a fuel container so you might not want to fill one up from a gas pump at your location service station! :friends:

Now, I'm not the most law abiding citizen around but I do know that the MSR dromedary bags are not approved a a fuel container so you might not want to fill one up from a gas pump at your location service station! :friends:

This is true. But who, these days is looking? I just wouldn't want to try and slosh gasoline out of a pump nozzle into one of those little bags, so it probably is a better idea to fill one from a can.

I'd probably want to fill a 5gallon or something then use that to fill the bladders before a ride truck side or something.