Sign in to follow this  
bluefin2na

What do you think?

Need your opion on this matter, seeing that we are losing our outdoors and more and more trails are being closed. Whould it be a good thing to have a radio show on AM talking about off road in san diego and imperial counties?

Include shops and tech guys as guests, phone in comments from riders/drivers.

even have BLM people on the show?

Where to ride

what gear to have ready

etc etc etc...

Tech talk on KLRs, KTMs, BMWs ABCs, and the DFGs, what trails are safe, whos riding,, kind of like what web sites do, but on radio?

Just a thought,

Would there be enough interest? Who would be the sponsors of this show? Sounds like you are proposing a motorcycle equivalent to "Rod and Reel" radio.

Would there be enough interest? Who would be the sponsors of this show? Sounds like you are proposing a motorcycle equivalent to "Rod and Reel" radio.

you are fast, i sit in on Rod and Reel 2 to 3 times a month, along with All Outdoors radio, just thought that a local offraod show might go over.

Sponsers would not be too hard,

Local shops to start, a few rest stops resturants etc etc

Not sure how to get BMW, KTM but i know HONDA ,, YAHAMA,, KAWI would jump as a sponser.

"Tarmac n' Trail"

"Sideroads n' Singletrack"

"Hillsides n' Highways"

:(:D:D;)

I like the idea, but find the dual sport community is really pretty small, compared to most of the Desert Community.

Realize; the "off-road" community is HUGE but very diverse... how do you appeal to the 60 year old dual sporter AND the 15 year old quad desert guy?

Some sponsors translate across the segments, but, others; not so much...

I like the idea, but find the dual sport community is really pretty small, compared to most of the Desert Community.

Realize; the "off-road" community is HUGE but very diverse... how do you appeal to the 60 year old dual sporter AND the 15 year old quad desert guy?

Some sponsors translate across the segments, but, others; not so much...

Yeah-true, a party boy who wants to rip across the dunes at 80 miles per hour usually doesn't care too much about an area of mountain singletrack that might be about to be closed.

Come to think of it the "Speed" channel used to have some half hour shows on that featured different types of riding events, both street and dirt, competition and recreational and maintenance tips. I liked these types of shows but I can't seem to find them anymore, so I am guessing that they weren't too popular.

I have noticed that some station has an ATV show on. ;)

Come to think of it the "Speed" channel used to have some half hour shows on that featured different types of riding events, both street and dirt, competition and recreational and maintenance tips. I liked these types of shows but I can't seem to find them anymore, so I am guessing that they weren't too popular.

"Dream Rides" KICKED ASS... but lots of commercials... They did some dirt bikes rides on Ocotillo, some cruiser rides out to Grand Canyon, sport bike rides in the twisties, etc. Rick Johnson hosted

I think there is/was one. Was part of an automotive related radio show/segment. I remember the SDORC folks were involved with it sometime in the last couple of years. Sorry I don't have more info about it. I wasn't really much interested in it myself. Don't care to listen to talk radio. I just remember hearing and reading stuff about it from the SDORC board members and regulars.

I think there is/was one. Was part of an automotive related radio show/segment. I remember the SDORC folks were involved with it sometime in the last couple of years. Sorry I don't have more info about it. I wasn't really much interested in it myself. Don't care to listen to talk radio. I just remember hearing and reading stuff about it from the SDORC board members and regulars.

Nobody is doing one right now, just a show on riding would work.

One week you have a trails guy from team so-and so, the next you have a guy that rides for a local shop on the street/track.

your right about the 20 year old ripping it up and then the "OLD" guy cruising up the mountains.

However, if you look at it like this we are all in the same circle are we not....

This is the only way you will get attention to change anything! Being nice is not working.post-34-1219357664_thumb.jpg

Stickers for sale soon!!

This is the only way you will get attention to change anything! Being nice is not working.post-34-1219357664_thumb.jpg

Stickers for sale soon!!

That sticker does not really work tho. For people not aware of the problem they don't know what it's really supposed to be pointing out. For those who then decide "hey I want to do something" this does not tell them anything they can do.

"Dream Rides" KICKED ASS... but lots of commercials... They did some dirt bikes rides on Ocotillo, some cruiser rides out to Grand Canyon, sport bike rides in the twisties, etc. Rick Johnson hosted

I think you mean EPIC RIDES. Back in the day when they aired LEGENDS OF MOTOSPORT

I think this is a great idea! If bluefin2na has the capacity to move forward with this idea, my vote is GO FOR IT! I wouldn't have a clue how to start, but I sure as heck know that anything that can support our sport is well worth the pursuit. The issue of diversity is a non-factor. I think there are plenty of folks out there that are tuned-in to the fact that we need every resource available to battle those who would seek to grab our lang from under us.

I say GET THE WORD OUT! Who gives a hoot if the 16 year old quad tard that does dounuts in the middle of camp wouldn't listen to or come on the show.

You go '2NA! Dirt Safety would like to buy a spot to promote our riding school, I can think of at least one local club that could raise a couple of sponsor bucks, and District 38 Desert Racing could easily be talked in to helping too.

The replies so far are from some of the brightest minds in our area. Solutions people, not reasons why it wouldn't work. ;)

Keep the scope wide. If you want to keep access to public lands from shrinking you need to get all the public land users together. Bicycles, RV, motos, ORVs, 4W, equestrian. Everyone with an interest in self-directed recreation (no offense Sea-World!! ;) )

It would be easier to keep programming going and draw more interest in if you had more expertise to tap. I'm assuming your talking about 3 hours a week or so?

I would hit the organizations with paid memberships who are already out there in the fight. Get a commitment from them and they might be able to keep you from spinning your wheels in the wrong area.

The current system of lets get together, talk to our local officials, organize a rally, and go to meetings has not worked ever/yet. I know of only (1) trail that that has EVER been re-opened after it was closed. Can any of you name an area that has been re-opened? You all have great intentions, but its time for a new strategy!. This strategy is that it is now time to "Play Hardball" or we will all be riding street bikes!!! Jerry Counts of "Countdown"(a ride promoter) has the right ideas..

The current system of lets get together, talk to our local officials, organize a rally, and go to meetings has not worked ever/yet. I know of only (1) trail that that has EVER been re-opened after it was closed. Can any of you name an area that has been re-opened? You all have great intentions, but its time for a new strategy!. This strategy is that it is now time to "Play Hardball" or we will all be riding street bikes!!! Jerry Counts of "Countdown"(a ride promoter) has the right ideas..

HARDBALL will not work.

I take the MLPA for a start, it shut down %80 of central Californai to fishing, hard ball turned into mush in a hurry. Its so bad in places like MORRO BAY that even the pelicans left.

When it comes to closing areas, some are going to lose a finger, some lose a couple, some lose a hand, however very few lost a arm. get the picture? Sure it would be nice to just take a person, toss em in a ring and whoever comes out on top wins the battle of the lands... See, it dont work that way.

Education, is key here. If you want to see what i,m talkiing about click here http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scsat.asp you will notice everyone has some higher education Phd, Masters blaaaa blaaa blaaaa, everyone that is but this guy named Tommy Gomes, pretty funny, but thats me. the point is,, that it takes hands on folks to get the word out.

Now, this might not fit well with everyone, however even the hiker, who thinks riders are goons, are fighting to save trails ,,, right, well they have a stake in this too. Get the picture? If this is taken on as one big group, then the battle and lose is not so large.

Back on track here,, Radio is not alot of money, you can also sell spots for 45seconds for $200.00 a month.

If the show was formated right, I ,m willing to bet you, that just about every shop in town would buy a spot.

IF you could get a spot say on SUNDAY night at 7pm to 9PM, every person coming from the east would tune in and call in after a weekend riding. If you want to get the word out, RADIO is the best format at the best price. With internet feeds you can go world wide..

Im not trying to sell a spot here, I just had a thought that a show would be good for the sport. I do radio here in San Diego as a guest host or as a guest. I dont have a show nor do i sell advertising for radio.

Just some dude who got a new bike and started riding again, and see whats going on with the closing of lands, cause its the same damn thing WE fishermen are going through..

BTW SANDIEGOLAND, i,m a friend of Rons ,, pretty funny to see him feed that donkey.

Sorry about any miss spellings, but i am a grad of san diego city schools

OK- Tuna

I can see a WEEKLY radio show... start out with land issues, have some call-ins from riders, a guest spot from a local trail advocate, etc...

especially as we approach desert season...

You may be on to something

I'm in and I'll sell for free! :unsure:

In fact I'll committ to 1 add spot possibly 2!

I nominate FakeName-writer/commentator and ? Sandiegoland-Tech./GPS support and ? Dirt Dame's Trail Guide- reference and service and ? Bikeslutted- areas to avoid & heliocopter referral service/novice school drill seargent service and? HammerTime- 15second spot of 'Only Honda Riders Are Real Men' and 'Why KTM Aren't Really Orange- They Are Pink and They Stink' ? Spaugh Corner - How to MacGyver KTMs and Who not to ride with to avoid Broken Bones! walker1- Meat Wagon Reports/Trail Trash pictures!

Ok I'll Shut-up!

But count me in!!

Back to Doc on Monday! It's been one month Hurray!!