Sign in to follow this  
Strega

Bike Issue

I open the fuel petcock and gas just streams out one of the tubes coming out the bottom of the bike. I'm thinking the float is stuck again (no idea how it hasn't been ridden). Anyone else have any thoughts in this regard before I drop it off at C&D?

'07 WR450F

Thanks

you may want to pull the bowl off and clean the float valve- might be a bit o' junk stuck in it. Also, if it's like the FCR on my mighty KTM, there is an o-ring that seals it that disintegrates. Might be the o-ring.

fn

the float valve needle probably got a bit of junk in it, as fake name says...

mine had the same problem, but my overflow tube was clogged also... so it locked it piston.

do you have an in-line fuel filter?

Make sure that the float valve needle isn't damaged and is sealing in the seat. Make sure the float bowl is clean and that the float height is adjusted right. If the floats are defective, they can leak and get filled with fuel and won't let the float valve needle seat.

the float valve needle probably got a bit of junk in it, as fake name says...

mine had the same problem, but my overflow tube was clogged also... so it locked it piston.

do you have an in-line fuel filter?

No in line filter, might be something I should look into.

Thank you all for the tips, pulling the carb on the 07 WR450 is a PAIN IN THE ASS. You can't get it out without taking the subframe off =\

pulling the carb on the 07 WR450 is a PAIN IN THE ASS. You can't get it out without taking the subframe off =\

:):D:D

pulling the carb on the 07 WR450 is a PAIN IN THE ASS. You can't get it out without taking the subframe off =\

:):D:D

The WR250 is fine cuz the starter is on the front of the motor, unfortunately the starter is on the back on the 450 and there is no room to pull the carb out.

If it hasn't been ridden in a while and has sat with gas in the bowl, I agree with the others - stuck float. When fuel sits it forms a "varnish" on everything inside. Pain in the butt to get off. If you're not going to ride for a while, it's best to drain the carb (there'll be a screw near the bottom of the bowl) and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank.

Suck it up, pull the carb out (you really should know how to do it anyways), take the bottom float bowl off and spray the crap out of it (literally) with carb cleaner... Also, while it's apart, like everyone above said, check the seats, etc...

typically you don't need to take the carb out to get the bottom off. Just loosen the clamps on both ends and rotate the carb until you can get the allon bolts out of the bottom. No need to take it all the way out.

Anyone else have any thoughts in this regard before I drop it off at C&D?

Thanks

I agree with the crowd... you need to start learning how to do this stuff rather than spending $75 per hour on service (no C&D on the trailside :) ) Here are a couple of thoughts if you need help (simple to complicated):

Tap on the carb with a screwdriver HANDLE and see if it loosens it up. If not:

Pull the tank and pour some laquer thinner down the fuel inlet tube. Bounce the suspension a few times and repeat step 1 above. If not:

Get a can of brake cleaner and spray it into the fuel inlet tube as step 2 above (don't forget your eye protection and MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN ALL THIS CRAP OUT BEFORE YOU TRY TO FIRE IT UP!!!). If not:

Suck it up and pull that sucker apart (I'm avbailable to help this weekend if you need), yank the bowl off the bottom and soak everything (including pulling and soaking the jets) in laquer thinner, check the needle seat and O-ring for signs of wear, replace (if necessary) and go ride. If not:

Call Hammerin Hammon. He's actually a nice guy, lives in North County, has good mechanical skills (as long as you get to him before... say... 11:00 a.m.), and he could use some fuel to bash a motorcycle brand other than KTM...

Good luck and call if you need help :D

typically you don't need to take the carb out to get the bottom off. Just loosen the clamps on both ends and rotate the carb until you can get the allon bolts out of the bottom. No need to take it all the way out.

+1 :) Ken

Damn Hondas . . . . should have bought a 650L - oh wait, they're Honda's too :):D

If all the good suggestions above don't work, you might try squirting a bit of carb cleaner back up the vent tube where the gas is coming from. That might loosen up and flush what ever is making the needle stick back into the bowl.

Only a short term solution though because if it's in the bowl, it's likely to happen again or get stuck in one of the jets or other orifices.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

+1 :) Ken

I would sell it. Get a bike with F.I. then you can spend 300.00$ -600.00$ every time the check engine light comes on. While the FN. dealer changes a 10.00$ censor :D:(:D

Craig.

Damn Hondas . . . . should have bought a 650L - oh wait, they're Honda's too :D:D

If all the good suggestions above don't work, you might try squirting a bit of carb cleaner back up the vent tube where the gas is coming from. That might loosen up and flush what ever is making the needle stick back into the bowl.

Only a short term solution though because if it's in the bowl, it's likely to happen again or get stuck in one of the jets or other orifices.

WR= Yamaha, not Honda :)

But I had a similar problem on my suzuki and my sons yamaha and a previous kawasaki... so really, maybe it's just Japanese bikes?

Doh! :)

Dang it, I some how inserted a CRF in my mind.

Oh well, not the first time one of my attempts at humor has gone down in flames . . . :D

But I had a similar problem on my suzuki and my sons yamaha and a previous kawasaki... so really, maybe it's just Japanese bikes?

Hmmm... good point. I can't say that I've ever had this problem with my caucasian designed and manufactured motorcycles :) I'm going to take back my advice and say sell it and find something in a nice shade of ORANGE :D

Hmmm... good point. I can't say that I've ever had this problem with my caucasian designed and manufactured motorcycles :) I'm going to take back my advice and say sell it and find something in a nice shade of ORANGE :D

WITH A PLATE!!! :D:(

I would sell it. Get a bike with F.I. then you can spend 300.00$ -600.00$ every time the check engine light comes on. While the FN. dealer changes a 10.00$ censor :D:D:)

Craig.

Advice from the ignorant!

Hmmm... good point. I can't say that I've ever had this problem with my caucasian designed and manufactured motorcycles :i-m_so_happy: I'm going to take back my advice and say sell it and find something in a nice shade of ORANGE :D

I'd have to fix this problem to sell it :friends:

I could have sworn that those orange bikes had carburetors made in Japan??

I could have sworn that those orange bikes had carburetors made in Japan??

well aren't YOU the smart one! :i-m_so_happy:

When are you coming back Tom? Ready to take the boys riding? Take care

I could have sworn that those [really super-cool and reliable] ORANGE bikes had carburetors made in Japan??

I was afraid there would be a Chief in the audience. You might succeed in pulling the wool over God's eyes, but The Chief doesn't miss a thing! :friends:

p.s. I haven't forgotten about your stickers, I just haven't gotten them yet :i-m_so_happy: Keep 'em safe!

p.s. I haven't forgotten about your stickers, I just haven't gotten them yet :i-m_so_happy: Keep 'em safe!

HiJack.....speaking of stickers.....how do you like ViaSat's new marketing stickers for our MIDS-LVT/JTRS military radios? (they look much better in person)

"In Omnia Eternus Paratus" - AKA "Always Ready for Anything - BRING IT!"......and you just can't go wrong with flames and skulls :friends:

MIDSSTICKER.jpg

HiJack off