paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Rolling your own PTT is a little cheaper. Just be aware that the connector is pricey. It's a Nexus aviation connector and cannot be had just anywhere like your local radio shack. This is where I buy them:

http://www.skygeek.c...phone-jack.html

That's the big ticket item for any "quality" PTT assembly (however you linked to the helmet female socket). But it's the most robust (compared to the old RCA connectors most used). It won't disconnect in a crash, and often the male end will pull off it's wire leaving the connector behind in the female (on the bars). I have a butane soldering gun ON ME just for this reason. Pins 1 and 3 are the norm for grounding out (making continuity) the circuit. Oh wait... was it 1 and 4?!

blink.gif

I'm sure those who crash often, should invest in one or more extra male connectors (TP-101). Nice that you supplied a link! ... I often buy mine direct from Nexus.

Here's the;

PTT male $32ea - http://www.skygeek.c...174-u-plug.html

PTT female $16ea - http://www.skygeek.c...phone-jack.html

Not to confuse anyone anymore, but this picture will show actual connectors used on radio "kits".

Here's a quick diagram I made for when I used an FTM-10R Mobile 50W radio on my bike (when testing), and when I had the cord made up for me;

post-14-082631100 1382457465_thumb.jpg

Great mod, I'll do that to my 270. I have two radios that won't talk to each other (270 + whatever the one is that comes with all of the D37 freq's), this is just the trick.

Can't say enough about radios. Similar to GPS, it's getting to where I don't want to ride with people who aren't radio'ed up. Soooo many admin and navigation issues can be fixed very quickly on the fly vs waiting for Billy for 10' at the next turn because he had bike trouble a couple miles back.

Agreed. It's a drag not being able to communicate with D37 guys/radios when we're out riding together.....and I don't want to buy/carry ANOTHER radio....

Johnny, are you able to squirt in the same channel presets that the D37 radios carry after the VX radios are modified?

Johnny, are you able to squirt in the same channel presets that the D37 radios carry after the VX radios are modified?

Yesssssir... I sure am.

If you already have a helmet kit, then I'd buy:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_73&products_id=147 <<<<<<Harness

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=294_19&products_id=77 <<<<perch mounted PTT

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_36&products_id=103 <<<pigtail for Yaseu radios (buy two to have a backup)

There are more fiddly soluitons, like making your own PTT or finding aircraft surplus buttons, but this will get you going in the most straightforward way.

And if you don't have a helmet kit (all I have is an FT-270 radio), I am assuming you purchase these + which helmet kit? And will I still need a new antennae? Thanks... I will also be needing someone to help me mod my radio and get everything set up properly. Kug, maybe we can get ours done at the same time.

Helmet Kit. http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=139_144&products_id=286

Unless you are German, in which case you name might be Helmut Kitt.

This one allows the use of earbuds or connect to a music source.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=139_144&products_id=928

As much as I love tunes while riding, I won't use those- mono and crappy sound, plus no noise isolation. But I wanted to put in in to save others the trouble of searching and posting.

And will I still need a new antennae?

Stock antenna will work fine, but you may want to upgrade to the one JA suggested.

......... I will also be needing someone to help me mod my radio and get everything set up properly. Kug, maybe we can get ours done at the same time.

Let me know... I'd be happy to help. biggrin.gif

......... I will also be needing someone to help me mod my radio and get everything set up properly. Kug, maybe we can get ours done at the same time.

Let me know... I'd be happy to help. biggrin.gif

Thanks Johnny, I will wait until Kug is ready to do his also and we will be in touch.

Well, there is legal, and then there is legal.

I'm an FCC licensed Amateur Radio Operator which authorizes me to operate a ham radio in a legal manner in accordance with the laws of the FCC.

But I may or may not do that.

I might not ever use my callsign, I might use r-rated words and phrases, I might not announce my call sign every ten minutes, I might not begin each qso with my callsign and end each qso with my callsign. I might even converse with unlicensed stations operating without authorization from FCC.

I definitely do not use popular frequencies close to urban areas, I don't use repeaters without following appropriate procedures.

The practical side says operating on obscure frequencies away from populated areas may be a violation of the law's letter, but affects nobody. The very limited range of our HT radios are EXTREMELY unlikely to interfere with any other operators, and I've never had a single instance of operating on the same frequency as an unknown operator. I have had "bleed-over" from overly powered stations operating on nearby frequencies, but these are situations created by the violations of others, and they could not hear me.

So, legal and "legal", plus common sense.

How many of you guys have taken the class and have your license?

Some day... keep telling myself to do so. Not hot on the priority list, as i use my radios about 3x a year

Some day... keep telling myself to do so. Not hot on the priority list, as i use my radios about 3x a year

Based only on your posts, it sounds like most of your riding is in Mexico.

You don't need no steenking license there, right?

Both my wife and I have ours, got 'em at last year's Outdoor Adventures USA Borregofest. Definitely a better way to communicate off-road, and it's nice being legal even if some of the friends I chat with on simplex while riding aren't.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B009MAKWC0

Dang.

That Bofang radio is $36 on amazon with chargers and everything! It's 4 watts instead of 5 (no biggie) but appears to do even more than the Yaesus- greater frequency range, etc.

If I were in the market, I'd grab one of these instead of paying the $100 more for the Yaesu. Be aware, though- a different pigtail is probably required.

Arfy, have you used the Baofeng with the RR/BD harness setup?

$36. Jeeze!

EDIT: Looks like it has dual standby- if I assume correctly, that'd allow for simplex use for my riding buddies, plus monitoring a local repeater for large group rides like the Desert Dash- think emergency frequency. That's SO cool.

Can you ex-perps tell me where to get cable insurance. The kind that protects from melting your cables on the exhaust

silencer when you are walking around with your helmet on fiddling with stuff? For that matter, insurance for the push-to-talk

cable that you walk away from the bike while plugged in?

dirol.gif

+ 1 here !

I Didn't take any class. I just studied on Ham Whisper.Com.

Studied Thursday then tested Friday. The videos were helpful.

$5 to test & 8 hrs roughly to study & test.... I

I still don't really see the need for the license for what we do. Nothing I did on that test has helped me ride motorcycles and talk on the radio....

Nothing.

And like Paul said. I'm usually not using it inaccordiance with its license any way.

146.505 isn't even an approved simplex freq

I recommend the rugged radios set up.

We need more people to listen to PMB!

For the delite of some of our members I have all the radio gear ordered and on its way-HeY !

For the delite of some of our members I have all the radio gear ordered and on its way-HeY !

Bravo!

Wish we had it when you hid behind the tree in ABD and I went blazin by you.

+1, though I seriously doubt any one is delighted by that fact. However, I am delighted that I am going to get to ride again! :party:

+1, though I seriously doubt any one is delighted by that fact. However, I am delighted that I am going to get to ride again! party.gif

It will be good to see you out there!

EDIT: Looks like it has dual standby- if I assume correctly, that'd allow for simplex use for my riding buddies, plus monitoring a local repeater for large group rides like the Desert Dash- think emergency frequency. That's SO cool.

That's correct. I can't speak to the UV5RA, but the UV5R also has FM built in, so you can even have some tunes while you ride.

Looking at the reviews of the BeoFang- they're pretty mixed. Get what you pay for, etc. Not as robust in construction and the Yaesu and some reviewers report DOA new products.

But for $36?

Oh- programming seems to be a pain. If, like most riders here, you lock it on one frequency, you'll be fine. Aftermarket antenna seems mandatory.

But $36.