paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

The current kit I recommend is:

Yaesu VX170 or the NEW! VX270r [edited to correct foolish error]

Yaesu CT91 cable

The Baja Designs 65-0001 radio kit without radio.

The Baja Designs Yaesu adapter cable.

Optional: The Smiley 5/8 wave Antenna

That's about all you need. Racer-X can also put a similar kit together for you, but their warranty is pathetic. Baja Designs has always been real good about replacing parts that have failed (and they do, sometimes) and have constantly updated their stuff for reliability. The latest helmet kit I've seen even has a little cable for an iPod- you may wish to ask them about that.

The current kit I recommend is:

Yaesu VX170 or the NEW! VX177 The 177 has a few new features that don't really help our application. It appears the retail price on the 177 has jumped a bit to $149, so if you can pick up a 170, it might be a bargain. Gigaparts.com appears to have them, and you may wish to call Ham Radio Outlet off of Balboa to see if they have any remaining stock of 170s.

Yaesu CT91 cable

The Baja Designs 65-0001 radio kit without radio.

The Baja Designs Yaesu adapter cable.

Optional: The Smiley 5/8 wave Antenna

That's about all you need. Racer-X can also put a similar kit together for you, but their warranty is pathetic. Baja Designs has always been real good about replacing parts that have failed (and they do, sometimes) and have constantly updated their stuff for reliability. The latest helmet kit I've seen even has a little cable for an iPod- you may wish to ask them about that.

FN,

Thanks for the concise list and the source for the VX-170!

The VX-177 is nice, but it's UHF, so it wouldn't be compatible with everyone else on 2 meters. The "installed base" seems to be all 2 meters, so I'm sticking with that.

I'll have to think about the headset issue--it kills me to spend more than the cost of the radio for just a few parts (of course, that's always how it works--even the Yaesu add-ons can exceed the cost of the radio itself pretty quickly). I'm a geek at heart, so maybe there's a work-around. I've got some Yaesu accessories already, luckily.

BTW, I was an ECRA member about 20 years ago, and at that time the Monument Peak repeater covered pretty much the whole county, and east to the river, as I remember. Does that square with recent experience?

Thanks, all!

FN,

Thanks for the concise list and the source for the VX-170!

The VX-177 is nice, but it's UHF, so it wouldn't be compatible with everyone else on 2 meters. The "installed base" seems to be all 2 meters, so I'm sticking with that.

I'll have to think about the headset issue--it kills me to spend more than the cost of the radio for just a few parts (of course, that's always how it works--even the Yaesu add-ons can exceed the cost of the radio itself pretty quickly). I'm a geek at heart, so maybe there's a work-around. I've got some Yaesu accessories already, luckily.

BTW, I was an ECRA member about 20 years ago, and at that time the Monument Peak repeater covered pretty much the whole county, and east to the river, as I remember. Does that square with recent experience?

Thanks, all!

forrest1 has it right... you DO NOT WANT the VX-177. That's the UHF (440Mhz) version - it won't talk to the 2-meter radios. Looking at the Universal Radio website, it appears that Yaesu has replaced the VX-170 with the FT-270R at about the same price. You may be able to find leftover VX-170s locally. When I bought mine, they had a stack of probably 20 or more of them on the shelf. They guy told me they sell five a day, so they keep a pretty good stock on hand.

The FT-270R appears to be pretty much the same thing as the VX-170 and will work fine with everything people have bought for the VX-170 (helmet kit, etc). The only thing I can't tell is if the VX-170 computer programming software will work with the FT-270R... The guy that makes the software, RT Systems, doesn't have a FT-270R version on his website yet, but that's probably because it's so new...

The Monument Peak machine has excellent coverage. It will talk all the way into the desert as well as all the way to the coast if you're in the right spots. I've talked over it from LaJolla but it's shielded to us North County guys though. You'll loose it at places as you travel between too, but it's a great way to stay in touch between someone on this side of the mountains when you're in the desert...

I completely understand. Remember, though, for those of us who ride with you, PLEASE stay away from hi-gain mics. It's REALLY awful to simultaneously:

1. Not be able to understand what you are saying.

b. Have it BLAST SO LOUD at the same time that I want to rip my helmet off.

If I'm riding with you, I really would like to hear you caution me about oncoming traffic or the large bike-swallowing hole which just opened up in the desert floor. Or to tell me that my bike is smoking because I've lost my filler cap. Or positively comment on my riding ability, and suggest that I could, in fact, join the next ISDE team or Baja 1000.

I've been riding with at least 20 different riders using the Baja Designs/VX170 setup with great results. Every person trying an alternate system has had issues. Not that you couldn't beat those odds, obviously, but as much as I belong to the Geek club, there's nothing like a proven system.

I completely understand. Remember, though, for those of us who ride with you, PLEASE stay away from hi-gain mics. It's REALLY awful to simultaneously:

1. Not be able to understand what you are saying.

b. Have it BLAST SO LOUD at the same time that I want to rip my helmet off.

If I'm riding with you, I really would like to hear you caution me about oncoming traffic or the large bike-swallowing hole which just opened up in the desert floor. Or to tell me that my bike is smoking because I've lost my filler cap. Or positively comment on my riding ability, and suggest that I could, in fact, join the next ISDE team or Baja 1000.

I've been riding with at least 20 different riders using the Baja Designs/VX170 setup with great results. Every person trying an alternate system has had issues. Not that you couldn't beat those odds, obviously, but as much as I belong to the Geek club, there's nothing like a proven system.

Points well taken. If it doesn't work right, or if it's a maintenance nightmare, I would hate it. And I will certainly want you to hear me clearly when I verbalize compliments on your riding prowess: otherwise, what would be the point?

Isn't there some way to program the VXZ-170 to attenuate the mic input? Seems like there should be, but I'm sure you guys have checked this out already.

The two Pryme sets seem to have two different mics, so maybe a phone call to them is in order. A hi-gain mic seems like a really bad idea for a helmet system. This is the kind of thing where I could wind up spending way too much time and $$ to try to save a buck-- a lesson that I have had to learn repeatedly. The BD is probably the way to go--Alan makes good stuff, I used to go there all the time before he moved to San Marcos.

Also, the new replacement for the VX-170 seems to be the Yaesu FT-270R, which adds a couple of small features, and a slightly different grill, and is $139.95 at HRO. It looks almost the same, and it IS still waterproof/submersible, so if the VX-170 is no longer available, it's a pretty good option.

Or positively comment on my riding ability, and suggest that I could, in fact, join the next ISDE team or Baja 1000.

I WAS going to say that...

*edit* I meant to quote the part about the filler cap

Working OT today so I'll run by HRO in my travels to check stock. Seems the BD adapter comes with the 65-0001 kit as they ask for you to specify the radio. They say $195 & $185 so we'll see what the actual price is.

Wooohoooooo! OT $$$$ and a shopping list.... :blink:

And I will certainly want you to hear me clearly when I verbalize compliments on your riding prowess: otherwise, what would be the point ?

Ya know, for a newbie, you're really beginning to get the hang of it!

Working OT today so I'll run by HRO in my travels to check stock. Seems the BD adapter comes with the 65-0001 kit as they ask for you to specify the radio. They say $195 & $185 so we'll see what the actual price is.

Yes, but you need BOTH the Yaesu 91 adapter AND the BD interface cable. Thingy. Doo-dad. dealiebob.

Yes, but you need BOTH the Yaesu 91 adapter AND the BD interface cable. Thingy. Doo-dad. dealiebob.

Got it. HRO had 'em for $115 in stock. They have two less now. They also went down 2 on the 91 adapter. Off to the BD website....or I might just call 'em & pick up next week.

Two? Yes, two. Ya don't think I just sold this on the merrits of FN's singing and desire to compliment him on his riding prowess, did you? "we'll be able to talk on our easy exploring rides, oh sweetness of my life"

Actually, I would like to keep comms open during those casual rides....

This is my first post from our new PlayStation 3. This thing is pretty cool with this BlueTooth keyboard.

I agree with FakeName on the Baja Designs kit, it is for SURE the way to go. it isn`t cheap, but it is solid.

And I will certainly want you to hear me clearly when I verbalize compliments on your riding prowess: otherwise, what would be the point ?

Ya know, for a newbie, you're really beginning to get the hang of it!

FN,

You can thank BS for that: he gave me a brief, but comprehensive, orientation to the group.

Trophy,

Thanks for the info: I guess I'll hafta run by HRO Monday. I couldn't get there today, because We decided that We needed to do yard work today, all day...

BS for that: he gave me a brief, but comprehensive, orientation to the group.

Dying to read how that went...please tell us what BS had to say....

anybody happen to know if the VX170 will allow you to hook up a ipod to it so that you can listen to music while riding?

I have a chatterbox that I am trying to get rid of so that I can go with the set up in this thread. I really like the fact that I can listen to an MP3 player with my Chatterbox. As soon as someone keys up my music stops and I hear them.

Nope. But there are ways to do it. Should I go REALLY crazy, I'd hook one of these, but for now, I use my iPod with some small earbuds.

Nope. But there are ways to do it. Should I go REALLY crazy, I'd hook one of these, but for now, I use my iPod with some small earbuds.

I think that if you've got to have the music, earbuds are the way to go... The Baja Designs headset (and most all of them for that matter) are not stereo - so it probably wouldn't sound too good... Only problem is that you can't use earplugs and earbuds at the same time. (yes - the BD helmet setup with the VX-170 is loud enough to hear with earplugs in if you turn up the volume...

I think that if you've got to have the music, earbuds are the way to go... The Baja Designs headset (and most all of them for that matter) are not stereo - so it probably wouldn't sound too good... Only problem is that you can't use earplugs and earbuds at the same time. (yes - the BD helmet setup with the VX-170 is loud enough to hear with earplugs in if you turn up the volume...

One thing you might want to be aware of if you're using parts from a comm setup to listen to music (i.e. playing the iPod through the BD speakers) - typically speakers that are made for voice don't sound quite as good when you're listening to music through them.

I ran into this issue when I had the bright idea of using my relatively high-quality aviation headset that I don't use anymore to replace my broken cheapo RCA headphones for listening to music at home. Besides the fact that it took some MacGyvering before the plugs, resistances, etc. worked, the music sounded way worse on the $300 aviation headset than it did on the $20 RCA headphones. I'm no biologist, but as far as I can understand, the frequency range for the aviation headset just wasn't meant for the trebles and basses of music. Or something along those lines. For the narrow range of human voices it worked great, but for music, crappy.

I realize that probably nobody expects to have a "true audiophile experience" listening to an iPod while bombing gnarly singletrack, and for all I know the BD speakers might be perfect for the task, but if it was me investing as much money as that Mixit thing costs, I'd want to find out beforehand.

My $0.02

Agreed. were I to use the mixit, I'd switch to an all-earbud system and discontinue using the BD earspeakers.

Speaking of mcGyver-ing, I'm still looking for a broken set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones to cannibalize and see if I can install them in my helmet. :lol:

OK......went to HRO this morning and bought the VX-170 and the CT-91. It was the last on the shelf so I asked if they had more......THEY DO!

Out the door price for both was $138

Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing........

BS for that: he gave me a brief, but comprehensive, orientation to the group.

Dying to read how that went...please tell us what BS had to say....

I've been trying to remember the exact words, but I can't. The old memory isn't what it used to be. It was more than words, though, more like a gestalt, a hint of great things to come and great times to be had. I sort of had to read between the lines a little bit to appreciate the full meaning of his words. I think it was in the form of an email, with a long disclaimer at the end ("...confidential and/or privileged material..."), so I'm not really sure that I'm at liberty to share it. But I will take a chance. It was something like "Be at McCain Valley tomorrow at <time>". Brief, but it told me all I needed to know...

Back on topic: couldn't get by HRO today. Next window of opportunity is Wednesday. Hope they will still have a VX-170 in stock.

73, -.- -.- -.... -.. -..

I went by Baja Designs today to pick up a spare PTT since I've found them to be rather fragile.......they've improved the design by potting the first 1" of wiring behind the switch into an aluminum housing............so this one will now be the primary PTT on my 520 and the "old" design will become my spare (until such time as I visit them again to see if I can exchange my old one for a new one.....sort of a good Karma/local customer upgrade thing :P .....hopefully they'll agree that it makes good sense to keep the customer happy and either give me a replacement for my old one or pot my old one into a housing ;):) ).....the PTT cable assy pictured below is $22.....

BajaPTTswitch.jpg

BTW - Strega - The "Flash to Pass" solder job on the 620 worked like a charm as my new PTT on the 620.......the switch froze/stuck every once in a while but that's not surprising since I was riding sweep/in a dust cloud all weekend.....

I just checked my recently purchased kit. The new PTT is the one supplied now. Also, the BD site says $195 per set but lists $185 in the start of the narrative. I pointed that out and they gave me the lower price. The kit pic is not updated with the new PTT....

I tried the mix-it, I wasn't very impressed with it. The connectors on it weren't tight enough, so every bump I hit I would get static in the speakers, and when the battery got low, it developed a squeal. After about three rides with it, I decided if I set the volume on my Ipod and radio right, I didn't need it anyhow, so it just sits in a drawer in my house now. I got the Racer X headset, and music quality is acceptable.