Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

The BIG Troy Meadows ride 07/15/08

I have not been up to the Kern Plateau for about 20 years or more, so when the idea was proposed, I was up for the idea of a riding trip up that way. Roostingu (Jeff) and I talked about it and then he posted a proposal that Digdug, Hondapilot and finally KLRoger responded to. The former members carpooled together and KL decided to take his motorhome out for a bit of much needed exercise at the final hours of the plan. So we ended up with a good solid six person crew of well known, long time riders including Digdugs son, Mickey for our mountain adventure.

Day one:

Everybody who needed to catch the Digdug train met at my house at about seven a.m. and piled all their bikes and belongings into the toyhauler. Then we shoehorned the crew of five into Dougs truck and headed north, making reasonable time and meeting KL around noonish at the base of Nine Mile road in the middle of hot and gosh-forsaken nowhere. From there we wound our way up the steep, narrow stretch to the top of the plateau and through the juniper pines and sparse ranches till we hit Sherman Pass road. The small pines gave way to larger varieties and more mountainous terrain. Clouds littered the sky and evidence of recent rain lingered on the countryside.

We chose to go to Troy Meadows overflow campgrounds because the pay camps cost 17 bucks per night. We could manage without the outhouses, fire rings and picnic tables for that kind of money, although we also had to do without a campfire as well, because they weren't permitted in the undeveloped no-fee type of campground we ended up at. We just didn't know that until we unloaded all our firewood. :unsure: Even though it was raining just about every day this week, the forestry department decided that it was too high a fire danger to let people have fires in the overflow camps. I personally think they wanted to generate more revenue from the pay campsights, but that's just my opinion.

So we pulled in and got ready to unload. Here is our chosen camp sight. Weather: 70 degrees, humid, light breeze and overcast.

100_0914.jpg

Immediate unloading proceeded so we could do a shake down ride to see how the machines would run at 7400 feet of elevation.

100_0925.jpg

We got a taste of trails to come by riding Beach Ridge trail over to the Blackrock Ranger station. It was a rocky little trail that ran just below the ridge and through the woods for about 9 or 10 miles.

The bikes didn't run so great....as was expected. Hondapilot, Digdug and Jeff all did some rejetting.

100_0936.jpg

Digdug was our burger chef cooking for six at about sixish, after jetting his KTM 450.

100_0939.jpg

I left my KTM EXC250 alone, even though it ran pretty flat up at altitude. My main concerns were that the machine would start, run evenly and not foul its sparkplug, which it did. Even though it was sluggish and took a while to clean out on the warm up, I was satisfied with its overall performance on the skinny, rock festooned switchbacks that we would be calling home for the next few days....even at 9000 feet in elevation.

Camping was first rate, due largely to our gracious host, Digdug and his trailer. This is the first time I "camped out" in a modern trailer and had access to hot showers, indoor toilets, microwave ovens, a fridge and freezer full of comestibles and a nice comfy bunk to roll my sleeping bag out on. We couldn't have a campfire at night so we fired up the TV set and watched movies. Not quite as cozy and nostalgic, but worked well in a pinch and certainly better than nothing. :unsure: The bugs weren't too pesky, either. I didn't end up with one mosquito bite, although I understand that a few others got bit. Finally everybody turned in for the evening so we could get going early the next day for our first adventure on the trails.

More to come....

Day Two:

The next morning broke with some sparse clouds and a beautiful sunrise over the camp. It had been a cold and peacefully quiet night. I was the first one up and about, but soon the rest of the group was up and having a hasty breakfast while conferring over the map to pick the days route. We soon geared up and headed towards Fish Creek overflow camp where we would pick up Jackass Creek trail. At this point I was running lead. For a while, I could hear the bikes behind me, but then I couldn't hear them anymore. I stopped at a junction and waited about five minutes. Nothing. So I turned around and headed back. A little ways back down the trail, I found Mickey and his KLX stopped also. We headed back together. Almost back at the trailhead in a little clear area we found the rest of the group. It turned out that Jeffs throttle stuck as he was heading into some whoops, so he ended up pitching the bike. When I arrived Jeff was repairing the problem.

A fairly flat spot in Jackass Creek trail.

100_0943.jpg

This proves that I was there in my KTM duds.

100_0942.jpg

Jeff fixes his bike while the rest of the gang looks on.

100_0945.jpg

KLRoger on a relatively mild stretch of the trail.

100_0946.jpg

After that, we continued with Mickey taking the lead. From here the trail changed from somewhat level to steep and full of switchbacks and jagged rocks. (I had read a ride report on another forum about Jackass Creek trail and the writer commented that the trail was not for the faint of heart, and I would agree.) It was as breathtaking in its splendor as it was in the dizzying dropoffs off the side of the skinny little paths we were bouncing up. We bounced and clawed our way up to Jackass Peak which was at just over 9000 feet in elevation. The sky had gathered into a full blown thunderstorm at this point, and though we rode most of the day in sunshine, the clouds threatened us with some rain drops and thunder from time to time. We took a well earned rest there, and it was at this point that I learned that Jeff had taken a header on the last rocky stretch and had dislocated his shoulder. He managed to pop it back into position and continue riding, but now he was in considerable pain.

Our rest stop just below Jackass Peak.

000_0001.jpg

100_0955.jpg

The actual peak.

100_0956.jpg

From there we threaded our way along ridges and through the trees to Monache Meadow where we took a scenic deadend spur trail out and back. Jeff was having issues with his shoulder and my leg was tender from an encounter with my bike and a big rock where it took a mashing between both as I tried to power up a difficult stretch just before Jackass Peak. It was here that Jeff and I decided we would need to find a shortcut back to camp. And this is where I'd like to say that riding in this area of wilderness is serious stuff. The trails are very technical and there isn't room for error on those cliff edges. The terrain is chocked full of rocks and there are not many connector roads available to bail out on. There are no services up there and no cell phone service either. If a rider is injured or has a mechanical problem, there will be no quick solution. The air is thin and the nights are cold, and of course there are bears in that area. So if you go there, make sure that your bike is in tip top condition and so are you, and never ride the trails in a group smaller than three if possible. We came across a solo rider up there, and I thought he was pretty foolish, no matter how good he might be. And you know that I like to ride alone sometimes, but this is no foolin' around. Heck, you can't even stop and take pictures on the tough trails, because there's no way to park off to the side or anything like that.

At Monache Meadows.

100_0958.jpg

Preparing to ride the spur trail.

100_0957.jpg

Digdug checks his GPS and map while the storm looms in the background. Jeff contemplates his owie.

100_0959.jpg

Ranchers actually graze cattle in the middle of nowhere at 8000 feet.

100_0960.jpg

KLRoger and Mickey; two Kaw riders, a riderless kaw in the background.

100_0961.jpg

Jeff and I rode back on a jeep trail that connected to pavement, then we rode the blacktop back to camp where we had lunch, rested up and waited for the rest of the crew to get back. KLRoger was the next one in. He had tired out and found some pavement back also. KL had had a flat front tire that was repaired out on the trail. Not long after that, the final three riders came in off of Beachridge trail and we proceeded with our evening activities.

looks awesome... also looks like you had the place to yourselves... nice

where's the spills? :unsure:

The scenery was great right in camp. After cleaning up and having a small supper, I strolled around the campground with my camera and clicked off some shots.

Troy Meadows.

100_0963.jpg

Not far from our campsite.

100_0965.jpg

Right across the access road from our campsite.

100_0971.jpg

Another day and another adventure was on its way.

Wow!

Brings back memories! :unsure:

I grew up in that area and it's where we would go to camp, hike and Fish for Golden Trout!

Went there last year on my second ride in 25 years on my crf450r. Must have crashed on that Tech stuff a dozen times. Then kick start with no air to breath! Damn! That was hard but Fun!!

Hope Jeff's ok!

Mimi where's the Fishing pics! I know you went Fish'n!

Next year I'll go and take you to some Great Fish'n Spots! German Browns and long as your Forearm! But no bikes allowed in those areas and it's a long hike on steep stuff! Yes my kind of Livi'n!!

Keep it coming! :unsure:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1062869272366783438

Well hello to all here with ice pack and computer I am going to upload some of the video from the trip and Mimi if you would like to add some comentary feel free, we have a neiberhood garage sale going on so I will be in and out all day. I just want to say this was a awesome trip the panorama's were breathtaking along with the altitude :unsure: but the technical riding was a blast. I will say that I believe the Lord was teaching me a few things about riding in dangerous areas and allowed me to see what a stuck throttle can do in a whoop section instead of a rocky cliff side some of the trail if something like that were to happen would at least spell serious injury if not death :unsure: and my name is not Kenny , then when I was thinking I was all that, riding a rocky I mean rocky stretch to fast got deflected about 6-9ft foward and to the right and got to kiss a rock with the top of my helmet and my right shoulder I thought later as we crossed some more treacherous passes what could have happened, I have to praise God for his mercy once again. :huh: Thanks Doug for the accomedations and Mimi for the pancakes and eggs and fixing my front brake and Jon and Mickey and Roger as riding companions. It was a great time. :huh:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4905049950349100003

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-413753319440048011

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2739366347020988566

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-439630568304401142

Dang it! :unsure::unsure: My posts keep disappearing! I just posted day 3 and it's gone. Same thing happened with day two the first two times I tried to post it. Well here goes again.

Day three:

The morning broke with more cloud cover than on previous days in camp. On this morning we decided to split into two groups due to the injuries some of us received the day before. Jeffs shoulder felt somewhat better, but he didn't want to chance injuring it further on a difficult trail. My right leg had a strained calf muscle and the ankle was still sore from the getting folded against a rock, plus I just didn't have any energy and felt all sleepy in spite of having been up for three hours already. Hondapilot was busy fixing a flat rear tire while Digdug and Mickey looked on and helped out a bit. Those three would take a technical route, while Jeff, KL and I would take something that would get us back by lunch and hopefully wouldn't put too much of a strain on our bodies. So off we headed out Beachridge trail, but by the time we reached the ranger station, I didn't feel any better so I rested a bit. Thinking that I might be dehydrated, I drank a bunch of water and ate some energy candies. I told the guys to go on without me and I'd make my way back to camp after resting a while longer. They went on their way and after about twenty minutes I went on mine. I think I was just pooped from yesterday.

When I got back to camp, I gathered up some snacks and plopped into my camp lounger to prop my feet up and enjoy the quiet morning. A Jay spied me and my snacks and kept eyeballing them from a nearby tree branch.

100_0974.jpg

After a while, I began to feel better. I guess I just needed some carbs and some relaxation or maybe it was just the altitude messing with me. I was still dressed in my riding gear and planned to hit some easy stuff in the afternoon. Around noon, KL and Jeff came motoring back into camp. I guess their ride went well and they met somebody that told Jeff about a scenic trail out that way that he should check out. We all had lunch and then the biggest rain storm of the whole trip cut loose on us. The wind came up, rain and hail sluiced out of the blackened skies, lightning struck the peaks just above our camp and deafening thunder shook our whole campsite.

Rain and hail pelting our poor lil' motorcycles.

100_0980.jpg

Water droplets backlit on the pine needles.

100_0984.jpg

After about an hour, the brunt of the storm passed over us, but it was still lurking around raining here and there all over the mountain range. Jeff and I were getting ready to go out on an easy exploration ride when the hardways riders made their way back to camp. They were soaked to the skin and looked like a a trio of drowned cats. They had some tales to tell as well. While they were relating their adventures to us, I discovered that the shock absorber on my KTM had started to leak. (thought the dampening seemed a little too squishy....) Once, my TE fooled my into thinking that the rear shock had blown on it, but I had had my KTM for three years and there was no source of leakage anywhere near the shock that I could have mistaken it for. I cleaned the the shaft and spring and prepared for a ride anyway. Then Jeff and I departed for an afternoon of easy. scenic riding. It turned out that his front brake was leaking and he had no brake pressure, so we weren't going to be doing any strenuous trails in any case.

A view of a high meadow horsemans camp.

100_0986.jpg

Jeff and the bikes up on a fire road.

100_0987.jpg

At 9000 feet on a ridge. The storm is with us, but luckily no lightning.

100_0988.jpg

Looking back on the jeep trail on the ridge.

100_0989.jpg

I am a happy wanderer....with a leaky WP shock absorber.

100_0990.jpg

an unused trail on the ridge.

100_0992.jpg

Another storm on a distant peak.

100_0993.jpg

Jeff returning from some exploration, after finding no legal path to connect us to the next trail. The map showed a connection, but physical landmarks indicated otherwise.

100_0996.jpg

Riding back up the washout.

100_0997.jpg

So we didn't find the trail we were looking for, but we had some spectacular vistas presented to us. Besides, it was almost 5:00 by now and time to get back to camp for supper, which was freshly grilled chicken. After we cleaned up and ate, Jeff and I examined his front brake and fixed the leak. There was nothing that could be done about my shock absorber, so that signaled the end of any riding for me for the rest of the trip. KLRoger was going to be leaving the following evening, so I decided I would be going south with him.

Day four:

It was a clear, bright morning. Everybody was geared up for a ride except me. I planned to spend the day in camp doing nothing but relaxing as I had everything packed up and ready to transfer over to KLs motorhome as soon as the trail group returned this afternoon. The group was preparing to head out when Roger noticed that he had gotten another flat front tire. Not wishing to spend any more time fixing it and then being without a spare, he decided to call it quits and pack up in the morning and leave. Jeffs shoulder was also feeling a bit stiff and he decided to join us for the return home. Digdug, Mickey and Hondapilot motored out of camp, leaving the rest of us to break camp. As we were packing things in the motorhome, Mickey came riding back to camp, leaking coolant and fuel and also having thrown his drive chain on the way out. He would have a pretty boring day I suspected.

We got underway about 11/11:30 and got to my house around five in the evening. My poor KTM was still leaking shock fluid just from riding in the trailer. Jeffs KTM was still cabled to a tree up in camp. I hope they found the key to it. :unsure: I expect to see it and Hondapilot late this afternoon.

Thanks to the great group of riders for good company. Thanks again to Digdug for sharing his food and trailer with us and thanks KLRoger for getting me back home in one piece, even if your air conditioning was broke and the blackwater vent was blowing back into the coach most of the way home. :huh::huh::unsure: But the rig rode pretty darn smooth all the way and was cooler after KL fired up the generator and coach air conditioning. :D But poor Roger had to drive in the hot cab.

I hope we can do this again in the not too distant future. The area was spectacularly beautiful, and even though I never really got used to the altitude, I had a good time. Next time I think I'd like to bring a street legal bike along or my jeep, so I can take the road down to the Kern river and go fishing. The KTM was the perfect trail bike for the type of riding we were doing and aside from the shock problem, it performed quite well with stock jetting considering the altitudes we were riding at.

I can't wait to see the rest of the trip report from the other riders on this trip. Maybe this evening..... :D

Sounds like you all had a good Adventure. Can't wait for thr rest of the report.

Knowing HP & DD they tackled some of those Black Double Diamond trails up there.

Found some of my pics from last year but no action shots! Tore the bike up pretty good that ride.

A couple of pic's from our ride up there. Hope you don't mind. I love it up there! Became attached to a couple of those Trees and Rocks!! :unsure:

post-2790-1216499341_thumb.jpg

post-2790-1216499377_thumb.jpg

WOW Kennedy Meadows with no dust and good traction ! Last time i was there (98) the whoops on rattlesnake, Monanche, Beach, Mahogony and most of the well used trails where huge, is it still like that ? Great videos and pictures, thanks for posting.

WOW Kennedy Meadows with no dust and good traction ! Last time i was there (98) the whoops on rattlesnake, Monanche, Beach, Mahogony and most of the well used trails where huge, is it still like that ? Great videos and pictures, thanks for posting.

Yes, I'm afraid that there are still plenty of whooped out trail areas up there, mostly at the trail head areas out of camp. But it was pretty dust free in alot of places due to all the storm activity.

looks awesome... also looks like you had the place to yourselves... nice

where's the spills? :unsure:

Digdug should have a few interesting " spills" shots he will probably post soon. :huh:

Everybody had at least one spill. I had a fall crossing a little creek on my last day of riding. There are other people who probably had several spills throughout the week. It was a spilly kind of a place. :unsure:

It is also a good place for breaking your bike and getting flat tires. :huh:

Mimi where's the Fishing pics! I know you went Fish'n!

Next year I'll go and take you to some Great Fish'n Spots!

You mean we would have to walk....as in using our feet? :unsure: I want to ride to the fishing. I can ride down the road to the Upper Kern for some trout. They may not be goldens or Germans but I can barely breathe at that altitude when I'm sitting on a bike. It just gets worse when I am walking.

Digdug, Mickey and Hondapilot showed up at the house around 4:30 this afternoon. Pilot got his truck and scampered away (to collapse from exhaustion, I suppose, after herding that 360 pound Honda around at 7000 to 9000 foot elevations all week on teeny weeny rocky goat trails.) I was out in the garage finishing working on my KTM shock absorber when they arrived. (I didn't have any new seals for it. They are too expensive, so I just cleaned the old seal head and refilled and charged the shock. If it doesn't work....oh well, it already leaked anyway. I'll just wait until I have a paycheck and then order the parts :unsure: ) I guess the guys finally wore themselves out yesterday on some black diamond trails and decided to not ride today and just come home. Mickey parked Jeffs bike in front of the garage and the three of us chatted a bit before they went home to unload everything. Digdug probably needs a vacation from his vacation by now. :unsure:

Great pics and videos...thanks Mimi and Jeff. I saw this post and wished I could go, but it didn't come true...maybe that was a good thing with my klr monster. Jeff, by chance did you get video of your spill that hurt your shoulder (hope it's going to be okay)...you said you have more?

I've been planning on going up there in September with another group...maybe I should reconsider. I'm waiting for more pics and stories to help me decide.

Great pics and videos...thanks Mimi and Jeff. I saw this post and wished I could go, but it didn't come true...maybe that was a good thing with my klr monster. Jeff, by chance did you get video of your spill that hurt your shoulder (hope it's going to be okay)...you said you have more?

I've been planning on going up there in September with another group...maybe I should reconsider. I'm waiting for more pics and stories to help me decide.

I think your bike is too heavy for that kind of riding. Hondapilot could probably tell you a thing or two about heavy bikes, tiny trails and thin air. :unsure:

I have video of the third fall in the meadow I will post tommorow

[CIMG2961.jpg

Gonna be up there Sept 3-8 staying in Fish Camp (not exactly Kennedy Meadows), riding from there each day. If you're gonna be up there, let me know.

A few pictures from my experience.

Our Camp, Troy Meadows Overflow Campground. We were unable to have a campfire, but the sites were bigger and IMO nicer than the regular campgrounds.

DSC00154.jpg

A little water, jerky and energy bar break under Jackass Peak.

DSC00164.jpg

The best trail of the day. Not the most difficult, but who cares. Just look around. This is Beck Meadow.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

Anybody else know what it's like to have 80,000 pounds of stupid animals sizing you up?

DSC00170.jpg

Note the little rock bridge over the stream. Very fun stuff like this all over the area.

Day two: spilt up into two groups, The hooligans and the cruisers

The views from Bald Mt. lookout tower.

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DigDug and Mickey were there

DSC00182.jpg

We attacked a wretched trail called Rattlesnake. It dropped about 3000' in elevation from the trailhead to the deadend. I don't have a lot of pictures but here's a few.

Where'd the trail go?

DSC00183.jpg

Doug and Mickey downstream looking for the trail.

DSC00184.jpg

We found the trail, the obstacle we had to cross and then got the bikes on the other side.

DSC00187.jpg

A look back upstream to where we came.

DSC00188.jpg

And what we'll be going over on the way back.

DSC00190.jpg

Our picnic spot. Note the sign telling us we've reached the end of the trail.

DSC00192.jpg

Mickey and Doug attacking a rough, rocky, hillclimb. You can't tell it's rocky or rough, you'll have to take my word on it.

DSC00194.jpg

I don't have anymore pictures, my ancient camera broke so Doug has all the pictures of our Banzai run on Day 3. I'll let him tell the story, but to keep you intrigued the highlights were a 5000' elevation and 20 degree temperature change, 45 degree climbs and descents, 6" wide cliffside trails, switchbacks and steps that made Hixon trail look like Otay Truck Trail, an abandoned dirtbike, and a little problem with boiling gasoline :unsure:

Great time, absolute blast BIG thanks to all who were there and helped put this together.

:huh: Great post and pictures, John. Any trail that you would describe as "wretched" is probably not a trail that I'd want to tangle with. That stuff in your photos looks pretty gnarly, especially at the creekbed. Only one more guy we are waiting on for pix and stories. :unsure: he has been conspicuously absent so far on this report and I know he has a lot of pictures he's taken during the four days of riding he's done during the week. He probably is taking an extended nap....or still trying to unload the trailer. :unsure:

:huh: Great post and pictures, John. That stuff in your photos looks pretty gnarly, especially at the creekbed. Only one more guy we are waiting on for pix and stories. :unsure: he has been conspicuously absent so far on this report and I know he has a lot of pictures he's taken during the four days of riding he's done during the week. He probably is taking an extended nap....or still trying to unload the trailer. :unsure:

Hehe...

Yup.. I've been doing all of the above!!! I still have to download the second batch of photos from the camera, resize them all and upload them. I've been wrapped up all day with stuff I've neglected from the past week...

I just wanted to thank Jeff for putting this trip out there and for everyone else for coming along. It was an awesome group of riders and made for a memorable trip for Mickey and me!

Pics are coming!!!

Okay... here's a few pictures from the trip...

We got up there on Tuesday afternoon, unloaded, set up camp and decided to go for a "jetting test" ride. We picked the Beach Ridge Trail from the Troy Overflow campground (our home for the five days) up to the ranger station to see if they had any useful information.

Here's a link to the maps for the area if you want to follow along:

Cannell Meadow Ranger District Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Maps

On the Beach Ridge Trail:

img1595zn0.jpg

img1596nm7.jpg

img1598ys9.jpg

The trails were fantastic!!! Challenging sections of rock, fun little curvy lines - all single-track! Out of all the trails up there, there are only 2 or 3 for quads - the rest are all motorcycles only! The only thing that was no fun was all the whoops!!! There were alot of MONSTER whoops!!!

We decided to call it a day early and head back to camp to make some jetting changes, finish setting up camp, cook some dinner, and get to bed early for an early morning start.

Wednesday morning and we were off... We rode the connector over to Fish Creek campground, then up the Jackass Creek Trail.

img1622ti0.jpg

Somewhere along the line, Mickey clipped a tree with his handlebars and found an interesting place to park his bike:

img1625cz1.jpg

On the ride up, HondaPilot mentioned that he wanted to ride through a meadow on a six inch wide trail - so we found one for him. At the end of the Jackass Peak Trail we rode the out and back spur of the Beck Meadow Trail

img1627gj9.jpg

It was along there that roostingu was feeling a little sore from an earlier get-off. He and dirtdame decided to head back to camp via some easier roads so we found our way back to the jeep trails via the Granite Brooks trail

img1632ab8.jpg

dirtdame, KLRoger, and some cows along the way

img1635xb5.jpg

HondaPilot, KLRoger, Mickey, a guy we met up with, and I buzzed down the jeep trail to meet up with the Blackrock Mountain Trail. Here's KLRoger coming around the corner:

img1640pf1.jpg

One of the cool bridges along the Blackrock Mountain trail... That trail was loads of fun...

img1641ho4.jpg

We hit the end of the Blackrock Mountain trail and readied ourselves for the Beach Trail when KLRoger noticed his front tire was flat. Mickey volunteered to do the work:

img1646kh7.jpg

It was about that time that HondaPilot noticed that his rear tire was low also...

KLRoger's bike on the bike stand while HondaPilot pumps some air:

img1647jf0.jpg

Mickey working while KLRoger supervises:

img1648sc8.jpg

Here's what caused the flat - When the tube was installed, the small metal washer that goes around the valve stem came loose and cut a few nice circles into the tube.

img1649oy9.jpg

KLRoger putting the finishing touches on the repair:

img1654yx3.jpg

Back on the trail, KLRoger negotiates an obstacle on the Beach Trail

img1657zt6.jpg

After the Beach Trail, KLRoger and HondaPilot bailed out on the roads while Mickey and I rode the Albanita and Beach Ridge Trail back to camp.