padu

Roadbook Navigation Club for Dual and Big Bikes

I've always been intrigued by the big navigation rallys, like Dakar, Ruta 40, Africa Eco Race and etc. As I started listening to podcasts, watching Dakar and listening to the aspirations of Edgar Cota (he just won Baja 1000 ironman and wants to compete in Dakar in 2025), the interest only grew.

It culminated into registering for the SoCal Roadbook Rally in the Mojave Desert in March. It's not competitive, it's just a bunch of guys and girls passionate about nav rally camping together in the desert for roughly a week and riding the desert with roadbooks, not GPX tracks.

So, that gave me the idea... why don't we start a mini-club within SDAR for navigation rally rides? Of course, you can spend thousands of dollars buying all the right gear for that. I'm not proposing that - but if you have that money, go ahead. A tablet or even a cell phone mounted on your handlebar is enough to get started. You won't be Mason Klein, but the fun will be there.

What I'm proposing is having one person to create a digital (PDF) roadbook for a trail in San Diego, then on the riding day, we all try to follow that trail, hit the waypoints and get to the final location. No timing required, each one rides at their own pace. The roadbook creator can add some notes about the difficulty of the trail, like "easy boring dual sport, intermediate on big bikes", so the rider can chose whatever bike he or she feels comfortable with.

I've done it once and it completely changes the way you see trails that you have ridden tens of times before!

Also, creating the roadbook is a lot of fun as well! I've used Rally Navigator and I'm attaching a sample of the roadbook I've created.

10_miler v2.pdf

• Like 1

I'm fighting the budget committee to get a roadbook setup on the 350, will be down for this if routes are dirtbike oriented

This is what I'm installing on my KTM 500 EXC, but is easily moved into my DesertX. 

It has a TMobile SIM card as well, so I can still use Waze, Google Maps or YouTube while riding 😁

Screenshot_3.jpg

• Like 1

You don't need a "mini club" in our forums, I can just start a dedicated section for this and tell me what you'd like to call it and I'll add it.

Great idea for those who may be interested. 

This is a great idea Padu and I commend you for inviting us all to play this game with you. I hope this gets traction here. 

11 hours ago, KTMrad said:

You don't need a "mini club" in our forums, I can just start a dedicated section for this and tell me what you'd like to call it and I'll add it.

Great idea for those who may be interested. 

Yep, that's what I meant. 

Maybe the best way to kickstart is to organize a ride and publish the roadbook beforehand, so people can have a taste, even if only using a cell phone mounted on the handlebar.

On 1/29/2024 at 3:16 PM, padu said:

I've always been intrigued by the big navigation rallys, like Dakar, Ruta 40, Africa Eco Race and etc. As I started listening to podcasts, watching Dakar and listening to the aspirations of Edgar Cota (he just won Baja 1000 ironman and wants to compete in Dakar in 2025), the interest only grew.

It culminated into registering for the SoCal Roadbook Rally in the Mojave Desert in March. It's not competitive, it's just a bunch of guys and girls passionate about nav rally camping together in the desert for roughly a week and riding the desert with roadbooks, not GPX tracks.

So, that gave me the idea... why don't we start a mini-club within SDAR for navigation rally rides? Of course, you can spend thousands of dollars buying all the right gear for that. I'm not proposing that - but if you have that money, go ahead. A tablet or even a cell phone mounted on your handlebar is enough to get started. You won't be Mason Klein, but the fun will be there.

What I'm proposing is having one person to create a digital (PDF) roadbook for a trail in San Diego, then on the riding day, we all try to follow that trail, hit the waypoints and get to the final location. No timing required, each one rides at their own pace. The roadbook creator can add some notes about the difficulty of the trail, like "easy boring dual sport, intermediate on big bikes", so the rider can chose whatever bike he or she feels comfortable with.

I've done it once and it completely changes the way you see trails that you have ridden tens of times before!

Also, creating the roadbook is a lot of fun as well! I've used Rally Navigator and I'm attaching a sample of the roadbook I've created.

10_miler v2.pdf

I use to do this for car rallies in Germany in the 70th.  Did some around SD for the Austin Healey car club. Most people could not read the signe languish and got lost, gave up.  But yes it is more entertaining than following a GPS track. 

Padu, FYI we have a second person personal connection with Lyndon P., I have a friend who is a fairly close friend of his and has hosted him here and visited with him in EU.

Spain - Lyndon Poskitt (lyndonposkittracing.com)

Lyndon Poskitt Racing - Ride With Us - Rally Training Spain - YouTube

When I have ridden with one of the Italians I know that did FIM WEC and FIM World Rally said our terrain looks and feels exactly like Baja de Espana, as seen in these Poskitt Spain videos. You think you are in Ocotillo Wells in a canyon or wash.

Edited by robertaccio

Same for Sardegna! When I was riding there last year, there were times I thought I was in McCain Valley!

DesertXexpeditonSARDINIA-102.thumb.jpg.5830e06f2c0c438f2fa8123d239df505.jpg

On 2/1/2024 at 8:27 AM, padu said:

Yep, that's what I meant. 

Maybe the best way to kickstart is to organize a ride and publish the roadbook beforehand, so people can have a taste, even if only using a cell phone mounted on the handlebar.

Padu, you can go ahead and organize a ride like this any time you like.

What do you want to name the new forum section ?

41 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Padu, you can go ahead and organize a ride like this any time you like.

What do you want to name the new forum section ?

Cool! What about Motorally?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, padu said:

Cool! What about Motorally?

How about Motorally Roadbook Navigation?

6 hours ago, KTMrad said:

How about Motorally Roadbook Navigation?

Love it

On 2/3/2024 at 8:21 PM, padu said:

Love it

OK, I'll try to setup a forum section this week.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:01 PM, padu said:

This is what I'm installing on my KTM 500 EXC, but is easily moved into my DesertX. 

It has a TMobile SIM card as well, so I can still use Waze, Google Maps or YouTube while riding 😁

Screenshot_3.jpg

What is it?
Details please, another GPS option?

38 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

What is it?
Details please, another GPS option?

This is a rugged, outdoor visible android tablet. I can run DMD2, google maps, waze, and more importantly, the roadbook viewer softwares (Piste, TerraPirata, Rally Navigator).

On the handlebar is a Remote1 by Thork. It connects to the tablet via bluetooth and it's basically a fancy keyboard. You can configure how each application responds to the switches. For example, on a mapping app, the joystick moves the map around, while the thumbstick zooms in and out. On a rally reader, I use the thumbstick to scroll the tulips up and down, and the joystick to adjust odometer.

This is great for the rally setup, but when I'm not doing rally, I move the tablet to the desertX and it's SOOOOOOO superior to the old ZumoXT. Even more because I actually installed a cell phone SIM card, so I'm always connected (where there's cell phone coverage)

Quick bench video here:

This looks like something I should mount up in my chase truck? We are overdue for a beer anyway brother. Let’s talk soon. 

• Like 1

@padu

Can you give more details, where did you get it from etc?

5 hours ago, DSM8 said:

@padu

Can you give more details, where did you get it from etc?

The tablet itself I got from the manufacturer
https://www.hugerock.cc/products/x70-7in-heavy-motorcycles-rugged-tablets-bright-android-8gb-usb-c-waterproof-military-grade-magnetic-remote-holder
$600

The handlebar "tower" I got from Rally Motoshop - everything you need for navigation rally
Handlebar clamp: $125  https://www.rallymotoshop.com/collections/nav-parts/products/universal-navigation-clamps
Crossbar clamp: $40  https://www.rallymotoshop.com/products/rms-dakar-crossbar-clamp
Digital bracket: $42  https://www.rallymotoshop.com/collections/nav-parts/products/electronic-device-bracket

The remote controller I got from Thork Racing
DMD Remote1: 400 Euros  https://www.thorkracing.com/produto/dmd-remote1/

A similar paper setup (with 2 ICOs) would cost about $1500-$2000. The digital setup has the advantage of being shareable between my KTM 500 and the DesertX.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the breakdown Padu, I'm looking to start collecting this stuff. I do have minor buyers remorse for getting the 350 instead of a 450/500 though. Good thing is this will pop right off if I switch bikes.

6 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

Thanks for the breakdown Padu, I'm looking to start collecting this stuff. I do have minor buyers remorse for getting the 350 instead of a 450/500 though. Good thing is this will pop right off if I switch bikes.

My opinion is that the 350 is capable of everything and more of what a 500 can do. You might want for more on asphalt... just don't take the asphalt 😁

Totally agree with you but the problem is.....I like to have fun on the asphalt as well and the 350 is singing at 60mph. I don't need more power because the 350 is crazy fast, just want it to be less stressed at 60-65mph and I like the engine character of low-to-mid power instead of mid-to-high for that type of riding.

So I kind of see it like the 450/500 can do 98% of what I can do on the 350, but is less strung out on short pavement stretches or twisty roads or eventually with a supermoto setup. I've also got a 200 2-stroke for enduro type riding and will never sell it, so don't need the overlap a 350 provides.

Either way I've got a 350 now and looking forward to trying a rally event!

• Like 1