cmbthumper

Ear Plug Recomendations

Rode street only yesterday and it was literally the loudest ride i have ever had. I have used the below but thinking of trying out those custom ear plugs from Big Ear. Who uses what? Or should i repeat that again cause you didn't hear me. Who uses what?

My Helmet:
AGV K6
Arai Defiant-Regent X ** Retired this one a few years ago

Ear Plugs i have used:
Ear Peace
NoNoise
Radian DIY molded
Generic High Fidelity type

I have some custom molded plugs, and the silence when installed is shocking.  It's literally too quiet.  I can't hear my com, music, traffic, nothing.  It's like getting shut into a vault.

Therefore, . . . . I rarely use them.  I've thrown money at most (all?) of what's out there, promising to be the perfect answer for shooting and riding and I've concluded there is no magic answer.  I know I won't be buying the $30/pair stuff as they don't work for me any better than the tub of plain Jane foamies I buy from Amazon once a year.

So offroad I don't use any.  Riding speed on most trails don't require them on my bike/screen setup.

When on tour on back roads I'll run foamies.  Sustained speeds above 45, these are great.  At 75mph and up I still use those for shorter periods of time ( a few hours). 

I'm heading out tomorrow for CO and will be burning miles to get there.  So I'll start the day in foamies.  I don't foresee riding triple digit speeds on my route otherwise I'd start with the customs.  After 3 or 4 hours of books on tape/music/podcasts I'll throw in the customs just to change it up in my helmet and enjoy some silence for awhile.

This sounds like a lot of hassle when I write it all out.  But It's a pretty simple system for me.  I've learned (permanent damage) that long sustained periods of high wind noise, like 12 hours or more can beat the living hell out of my eardrums even with foamies.  Changing it up a bit through the day seems to work best for me.

Thing is . . . . what works for me has little to do with what will work for you.  Different bike, helmet, windscreen, riding speed, duration.  Like oil and tires, you just gotta try it all until you find what works.

• Like 1

^^^^ Thanks for the replies. Hate foamies but haven't used them in years so i will give them another go.

Howard Leight Max for me. 33NRR. I buy the 200 pack box for 25 bucks every so many years.

I used to wear earplugs for many hours at a time 4-5 days a week.

Your ear shape will vary. There are a number of vendors that sell variety packs so you can find some that work for you.

I'm a big fan of disposables, especially on a bike. Drop one, misplace them on a stop? Eh I have a few more packs on me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Am burning my way home from UT right now. The custom molded silencers in my ears are the only way to go when running left lane with with all the L.A. cagers at triple digits for multiple tanks of fuel. Note I am running a mini screen. 
IMG_3833.thumb.jpeg.084bb9ad2737a55e544896e19a4288dc.jpeg

• Agree 1

I've been using foamies for years that you get from the pharmacy like Rite Aid, CVS, Home Depot, etc. They're good enough to block out the wind noise yet you can still hear what's going on around you...which is what I prefer.

When they're worn out, you just toss them and grab another pair.