Just watched this video. What do you guys think?

On my ktm 990 having the ABS offroad was a death sentence you could not stop AT ALL.

The new stuff maybe better suited to off road since I dont have one to ride off road cant comment on real world experience beyond what happened  to me on the 990 back in the day.

ABS for off road is extremely dangerous IMO  especially if you go down steep hills

Riding the big Ténéré off road is a big enough challenge, ABS makes it more difficult.  Unfortunately it’s not easy to disable it.  

If you have the super Tenere, you're going to have to learn to live with ABS active in all your riding.  Oh, you can disable it.... but it's a bitch.  Every time you stop the bike, or it dies you'll need to go through a helluva ritual (put the bike on side stand, shift into second gear, pull the rear wheel off the ground, let out the clutch and spin the back up to a certain speed...Chant something in Hindu, and have your riding buddy put on a priest's collar and sprinkle gatorade over the gauges) to trick the computer into disabling it.  Every. Single. Time. the bike dies. So most guys I know just give up most the time and ride the SuperT the way Yammi's brilliant lawyers intended it to be ridden.

I can't remember . . . do you have a SuperTenere?

When I'm coaching I ask students to turn OFF their ABS.  Or if they have BMW's and many KTM's to put them in Enduro Pro Mode (or similar).  This completely disengages the ABS feature on the rear wheel yet leaves some level of it active on the front.  

Locking the rear to skid is very useful in several applications..... and you need to get comfortable skidding the bike.  Cause it's going to happen. You're on loose surfaces right?  Locking the front, not such a great idea and certainly not very useful.  In EnduroPro (BMW GS) the front will lock up for a fraction of a second and release, and repeat in a slow cycle (for ABS anyway).  So you can actually skid the front wheel, but usually not enough to let you get into any trouble.

Different bikes have different settings (modes) that regulate how much or little intervention the ABS (and ESA, and other alphabet soup acronyms) manage.

Braking of course is an incredibly important part of riding.  I strongly recommend that you start exploring the what, when, how and why of front and rear braking off road.  Especially front.  You need the front brake in dirt every bit as much as you do on pavement.  Hauling your bike down from speed to make the (yikes) turn is something you have to know how to do.  Quickly and effectively.  Fully active ABS will try to kill you in this situation. Knowing how to use the front brake without lockup will save your flesh and your wallet from howling and enduring pain.

This stuff isn't hard to learn, but there are definite rules to live by and disregarding them can be expensive.

I 'spose I should watch Bretts video you posted.  He is a great instructor.

All depends on your ability to controll the bike. If you are a beginner leave it on. If you are getting to the expert level, turn it off. There are ways on any bike to turn it off on the fly. Just have to trick with the electronics. 

• Like 1

There’s actually a really easy mod to put in an ABS switch on the Super Ténéré.  I guess I better make a video…

• Haha 1

Have you done it? I love how Udo did it.  Just a nice toggle switch on the dash.

Tom if you have a vid of the work around on your SuperT, I would drive a lot of riders to your channel as every Big Yammi rider that comes through class gets quite frustrated with this issue.

4 hours ago, Zubb said:

Have you done it? I love how Udo did it.  Just a nice toggle switch on the dash.

Tom if you have a vid of the work around on your SuperT, I would drive a lot of riders to your channel as every Big Yammi rider that comes through class gets quite frustrated with this issue.

I will make the video when I get home.  It’s farm tech, like Udo solutions.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

S10 ABS disable ... dash mounted switch to relay inline with ABS fuse. Break the circuit, no ABS. Have to key off and restart to turn ABS back on.

11 hours ago, bsham said:

S10 ABS disable ... dash mounted switch to relay inline with ABS fuse. Break the circuit, no ABS. Have to key off and restart to turn ABS back on.

I only interrupt the front sensor with a switch and can restart by flipping back to normal. Only the error light stays on till the ignition is turned off and clears the interruption error.