Desert couldn't have been better this weekend. When we left today it was sunny and warm but not hot.

Thanks Bagstr and Ken for coming and putting up with our camping logistics. The loop could have been longer, but it worked out because right after I left you guys at your trucks, My friends showed up.

I didn't take pics but I know a few cameras were out. So stay tuned...

Bagstr, good job going up the hill on the beast bike. :blink:

Brad, thanks for posting the ride. For a group this size it moved at a good pace. Bagstr, it was impressive seeing the big bike handle all the sand and technical sections and keeping up with the light bikes, nice job. I have to post pics with my work computer so you won't see any of mine until Tuesday. Nice riding with everyone and just a perfect day out in the desert. :blink: Ken

Brad,

Hey, a big thank you for posting the ride. Ken, Brad, Alex you were champs helping push the Bison up the the last 20ft of that whooped out top and for staying calm when the new guy shows with a monster bike.

301058840_RmmYh-M.jpg

A good day to play in the desert

301058807_LsnB4-M.jpg

A little shade a the Mud Cave in Arroyo Tapiado

301058841_TDJQ9-M.jpg

Clayton, Zina and Brianna, pleasure to meet you and I hope to have spelled you names correctly.

You ladies are inspiring! It was great for me to see the KTM 450/505s? and the TE510 in action with such accomplished riders. I was reminded how Bone Headed I am riding the big 990 in places were it is not the appropriate tool. Great to do the Drop and make a good run at Diablo.

Dave

Thanks Brad for getting the ride set up and sorry if we got there a little late. I'm not used to driving out to the desert so I underestimated travel time. And nice job on scoring the 55-gallon drum so we didn't have to pay the "expensive fine" that Mr. Ranger spoke about. I tried doing research to find out what such a fine might be, but couldn't find it anywhere.

I took a lot of scenery shots since I found the area quite to my liking.

http://flickr.com/photos/16862090@N06/sets...57605254695879/

I'll post video links when they're done uploading.

I had a lot of fun and wouldn't mind going back -- I still need to do Oriflame and whatever else was in that area.

Zina

nice photos Zina, right after you left, the same ranger showed up right as we were about to leave without the barrel in the truck. He said that was a no no and we couldn't leave it. So now Briana and I are the proud super white trash owners of a 55 gallon drum full of ax holes aka glor.... ....s B)

This is my favorite shot:

2521993189_85ea61a430_b.jpg

mr mich showin us how to decapitate someone :blink:2521991365_0418d62087_b.jpg

I had a lot of fun and wouldn't mind going back -- I still need to do Oriflame and whatever else was in that area.

Zina

Nice pics.......looks like a fun day was had by all!!!

Good riding with you everybody...squeeze/drop thing was not a problem for the strong group of us...I wish, I could stay for camping after seeing all the pictures...crowded ZOO today for me and Ivan, and crowded Wild Animal Park for tomorrow, Dad's pay off for playing with you yeasterday B) ...But, I'm cool right now :D:blink:

All,

Have a happy MD.

PAPA.

mr mich showin us how to decapitate someone

OMG, dude was hammered. He didn't puke in the tent, though, and that's all I could've hoped for. He slept on most of the trip home...and no, he was not driving. :blink:

I uploaded some vids:

Brad, then Clayton, going down Heart Attack drop-off:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3112326265072200435

Clayton taking my Husky down Heart Attack drop-off:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2846388218318901216

Brad coming up Diablo drop-off:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7244036033988133824

Dave's mighty KTM getting urged up Diablo:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4323718879189203769

I wish I would've had time to get my camera mounted onto my helmet since the dust wasn't too bad, but as it was I was up late trying to finish getting the bike ready and stuff packed.

Alex, too bad you couldn't stay. You too could've had a nice alcohol-encouraged, ax-in-hand action photo. I am sort of surprised no one self-applied the blade to their shins.

Just wanted to explain why I took this rather nondescript picture:

post-1009-1211773603_thumb.jpg

I have mild near-sightedness and when I don't wear my glasses, I see a lot of things that aren't what I think they are. I was so excited when I saw this desert tortoise, until I started walking towards it and then realized it was just rocks. :blink:

Later in the walk I saw coyotes...coyote-shaped bushes. What an uneventful walk it would've been if I had good eyesight.

Zina,

Thanks for taking the time to save our experience. Nice work.

Dave

Looks like it was a barrel of fun. Reminds me of our ride in September :blink: and another in February.

Nice easy day of riding enjoying freaky cool weather.

Alex, bagstr, Zina and Clayton doing the squeeze.

desertride5-24-08001.jpg

desertride5-24-08002.jpg

desertride5-24-08003.jpg

desertride5-24-08004.jpg

The next 4 are of Brad, Clayton, Zina, and Brianna doing the little technical section between the squeeze and the drop.

desertride5-24-08005.jpg

desertride5-24-08006.jpg

desertride5-24-08007.jpg

desertride5-24-08008.jpg

This sandy up hill run has some sharp turns in it so it is difficult to get a run at(won't mention the name).

I remember telling Dave(Bagstr) he needed a lot of speed to carry him through the sandy uphill, I failed to mention the whooped out section at the top, my bad.

desertride5-24-08009.jpg

desertride5-24-08010.jpg

desertride5-24-08011.jpg

Thanks Ken for coming out to play with us and taking the pics.

The Squeeze looks completely harmless from that angle, so why does it look so much more interesting from atop a bike? Is it my girly eyeballs that always make things look more interesting than they really are?

the squeeze looks completely harmless from behind a computer :blink:

really... the only issue with the squeeze is all the loose "jeep-stacked" rocks right before the soft sand...

Brad- Good job running up Diablo!

What is this man thinking; The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?

302446835_D44x6-M.jpg

Mmm, This could be a Good workout; A Bad memory or an Ugly push up the balance of this hill.

PS, A good time had by all.

Dave

hey Dave, just out of curiosity, have you considered getting another bike thats smaller for technical day trips?

hey Dave, just out of curiosity, have you considered getting another bike thats smaller for technical day trips?

/hijack

I've got a 03 KLX300R for sale :blink: Piped, jetted, few other niceties! B)

campo3.jpg

Brad,

A wise man might make that choice, but that kind of leaves me out!

But really, when my ship comes in, that would be a fun concept. Until then, I will operate with a handycap. That EXC of yours looks like it can handle just about anything the desert can dish out. KTM has so many choices; 5 speed, 6 speed, close ratio, wide ratio 245lbs. That would be a cool 200lb weigh savings. If you were to get another KTM, which would it be?

Another option for me may be the 690 in one of it's future formats. 305lbs

Dave

PS, I know some of you love your Huskys

I'd prabably stick with what I've got. The 450\525 is fine unless you are putting lots of road miles. Even then, the occasional long trip is no biggie on the bike. I couldn't be happier with mine, and I know pretty much anyone who has an RFS bike will agree. They are fun to ride and reliable.

I'd prabably stick with what I've got. The 450\525 is fine unless you are putting lots of road miles. Even then, the occasional long trip is no biggie on the bike. I couldn't be happier with mine, and I know pretty much anyone who has an RFS bike will agree. They are fun to ride and reliable.

Definitely don't need a big bike for our typical "pavementless or minimal pavement" Dual Sport usage (IMHO).........I rode LA-B-V on my 2002 EXC 400 and it did just fine.....stay tuned , I *may* sell one of my KTM's within the next ~6 months if my son's attitude doesn't turn around.......doesn't make a lot of sense for me to register, insure, maintain two bikes with only one of us riding......

when Chuck Norris jumps in the ocean, he doesn't get wet... the ocean gets chuck norris'd

Great photos folks! Looks like you got the bang for the buck out of the cool weather... :angry: