Jump to content
Bp619

Phone based gps help!

Recommended Posts

The quad lock looks nice but they don't make one specifically for the Kyocera Duraforce as far as I can tell. But if are using your primary phone, and your phone is of more recent vintage, it might be a good option. Mikey, did you see how you have to push down the lever before turning and unlocking the phone from the mount. It's like a level II holster. But I agree with Bags about being able to tether the phone would be a nice option. It would be super easy for them to add a little tether tab on the case itself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Watching the RockMount vs QuadLock comparison,  shows that the Quad is a case around the phone and that is clicks into place. The review mentions that the side buttons dont function well with the case. The Rock is $150 tho which is a deal breaker for most.

I wish these phone cases had a tether loop for back-up. I think I might try this QuadLock if I get a mapping phone.  That metal slip-in case you guys are looking at,  appears to me a hazard during a crash. 

       🤷‍♂️

If you saw the design of that case/holder it would move pretty quickly under impact, it is not that sturdy but more than enough to hold a phone. We tested one thru Baja and Death Valley with drops. It held up. I always have my phone low on the bars in the event of a crash it is not in my flight path.

Like I said I looked and invested in a number of options and out of all that is best bang for the buck by design, the one I got with the charger despite the price is the ultimate in usability and compatibility phone wise. It works both with the Iphone 8+ and my Kyocera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oracle, sorry to hear you didn't have good luck with magnetic plug, about 15 of us have it and use it with no problems. Tons of Baja ,CA, and AZ riding too. I do use the silicone mount, I posted on page 1.

I'd give it another try once you get a better mount. We also don't use the RAM Phone mount, as that mount is terrible though it's a waste of money IMO.

Also since most people use a Baofeng radio, that radio came with a tether. It works perfectly with the Kyocera. That's what we all use.

Here's a pic of mount, and youtube last week riding AZ.

 

k7OCy6B.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, luna said:

Oracle, sorry to hear you didn't have good luck with magnetic plug, about 15 of us have it and use it with no problems. Tons of Baja ,CA, and AZ riding too. I do use the silicone mount, I posted on page 1.

I'd give it another try once you get a better mount. We also don't use the RAM Phone mount, as that mount is terrible though it's a waste of money IMO.

Also since most people use a Baofeng radio, that radio came with a tether. It works perfectly with the Kyocera. That's what we all use.

Here's a pic of mount, and youtube last week riding AZ.

 

k7OCy6B.jpg

 

 

That vid reminds me of the mountain bike trails in Fruita CO. Epic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, luna said:

This is right up my alley. I haven't used my Garmin Montana in over a year since converting. There is no comparison, the smartphone is where it's at. Can make routes from your phone in minutes, instead of on a computer, Store offline Satellite  maps. I use Kyocera Dura Force Pro Verizon edition. Verizon has 1GB more memory, and the better screen(sapphire). Smartphone and accessories all can be had for around $100.

Here is what I use.

 

Kyrocera Dura Force Pro Verizon  Can be had for under a $100. Verizon model is the best.

Silicone Cell Phone holder Tried Ram Mounts, by far silicone mount best, lower to handlebars and stays on.

Magnetic Micro USB Charging Cable In case you're mobbing single tracks, branch pulls on cord, no worries its magnetic, easy to plug back

USB Motorcycle Charge Kit USB plug from battery

 

Finally to make tracks, my favorite by far is Caltopo

 I also use GE, but been using Caltopo as my primary. I do save every gps file I have still in Basecamp.
Finally if you decide on smartphone, you'll have to choose an app. Plenty of good ones out there.

Luna, What app do you use for offline satellite maps? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update. I couldn't take the Ram X mount anymore. I hate how it swivels when the phone is in it and I hate how at least one of the arms is always touching one of the side buttons on the phone. So I've been running this $22 mount now for a few weeks. Several hard pounding rides on it and it's been flawless. Already has the 1" ball attached to it, heavy duty, and very securely holds the phone. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0UK9LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two of those one for the little phone and one for the big phone I’m actually not using either of them ended up going with the perfect squeeze using the power puck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DSM8 said:

I have two of those one for the little phone and one for the big phone I’m actually not using either of them ended up going with the perfect squeeze using the power puck

I'd pick up one of them from you if you want to get rid of it.  Would need it for bigger phone.  I'm just across town from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simicrintz said:

I'd pick up one of them from you if you want to get rid of it.  Would need it for bigger phone.  I'm just across town from you.

Give me a call can work something out I just have to find the silly things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oracle said:

Just a quick update. I couldn't take the Ram X mount anymore. I hate how it swivels when the phone is in it and I hate how at least one of the arms is always touching one of the side buttons on the phone. So I've been running this $22 mount now for a few weeks. Several hard pounding rides on it and it's been flawless. Already has the 1" ball attached to it, heavy duty, and very securely holds the phone. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0UK9LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's nice. Very much like the Mob Armor, but a much better price. I went with the Mob Armor. Found a used one on Amazon. Must have been a returned item. Got it for $37. Just like new.

Here is my setup so far. Got the USB port and the magnetic plug that Luna uses. I've got the Mob Armor on a Ram mount. Probably still needs some tweaking. I've only tested it on the local neighborhood motocross track down the street. So far it's OK

The Dura Force Pro I got has a wonky charge port. I've got a new (used) one on the way. We'll see how that whole USB/power thing works out. I may just run on the phone battery.

LB, are you plugged in or running on the phone battery?

mob1.jpg

mob2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

Give me a call can work something out I just have to find the silly things

It's not a hurry. I'll be leaving for Utah this coming Friday and will be gone for the entire following week and could grab it from you after that if you find it :)

Don't think I have your number; mine's 760.535.8411

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 11:42 AM, amgems said:

That's nice. Very much like the Mob Armor, but a much better price. I went with the Mob Armor. Found a used one on Amazon. Must have been a returned item. Got it for $37. Just like new.

Here is my setup so far. Got the USB port and the magnetic plug that Luna uses. I've got the Mob Armor on a Ram mount. Probably still needs some tweaking. I've only tested it on the local neighborhood motocross track down the street. So far it's OK

The Dura Force Pro I got has a wonky charge port. I've got a new (used) one on the way. We'll see how that whole USB/power thing works out. I may just run on the phone battery.

LB, are you plugged in or running on the phone battery?

mob1.jpg

mob2.jpg

I'm running a double USB port charger with on/off switch and volt meter. https://www.kusi.com/dr-scott-atlas-disputes-covid-19-fear-mongering-tactics-from-our-health-officials/

I've been through several different USB charging ports. Two things I've learned. 1. You want at least 2 amps per port. The one I'm running now is 2.4 amps per port (4.8 amps total). 2. You want an on/off switch on the USB charging port. For some reason, the ones without the on/off switch have been linked to draining my battery over a few days of the bike sitting. Since I've upgraded to the on/off switch, I've not had that problem. 

Having the volt meter is nice peace of mind too.

I know Luna endorses the magnetic charging cable. But I did not have success with it. I had problems with the magnet breaking contact with the mini usb charge port insert. I went back to a regular plug in USB to mini USB cord (make sure you use a quick charge one). The set up I have now has been successful at keeping my phone at 100% for the entire ride. That's with Gaia running on full brightness and Relive running in the background mapping my ride.

Running a GPS program on your phone merely using battery power will not suffice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim, one more comment. I took the soft pad off the face of the mount and replaced it with velcro. Then put the opposite velcro on the back of my phone. This provide a backup to securing the phone to the mount. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The USB port has circuitry inside that pulls a small amount of power all the time. Switch is a plus. Right now I'm unplugging mine (when I remember) between uses.

The link is an interesting story but probably not what you intended to send. Maybe sumthin' like this? https://www.amazon.com/YonHan-Voltmeter-Motorcycle-Disconnect-Waterproof/dp/B072JM3NWG

Thanks LB ! Really appreciate the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oracle, we had a rider experience what I think you had with the magnetic plug. The round silver magnet that is in the black housing, came loose, had a ton of play to the magnet on the phone. We thought the insert in the phone was moving, but it wasn't. It was like it had a little play. So if you pulled on it slightly the silver round magnet in the black housing would extended a few mm. Once it did that, it didn't stay on or wouldn't charge. We pulled out the magnet by standing it up on metal countertop, once it was out we reapplied adhesive to it (We used Shoe Goo, I'm sure super glue would be fine) and pushed the magnet all the way back into the housing, and it's back working perfectly like the rest of ours, on the last ride.

I've ripped/destroyed two mini usb ports out of the phone on Eastern Sierra rides due to single track riding branches, why I went magnetic, and have had zero problems myself.

Sd70MZe.jpg

In2r4W3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, amgems said:

The USB port has circuitry inside that pulls a small amount of power all the time. Switch is a plus. Right now I'm unplugging mine (when I remember) between uses.

The link is an interesting story but probably not what you intended to send. Maybe sumthin' like this? https://www.amazon.com/YonHan-Voltmeter-Motorcycle-Disconnect-Waterproof/dp/B072JM3NWG

Thanks LB ! Really appreciate the help.

Yes, that's the port I meant to link....LOL. Guess you got a lesson on the truth about Covid too... 🙂

Luna, I will say that makes sense and seems applicable to the type of issue I was having. I really liked the ease of use with the magnetic plug. I probably attempt it once more and keep a hard wire as my back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go to a switched power source and a charging puck then you do away with all the wires and the phone is constantly under power.

Sometimes trying to save a penny makes one pound foolish.

I have tested literally over a dozen different phone mounts, always wanting an option to power the phone.

Despite the price this has proven to be the best solution I have found to date for my needs.

https://shop-hondogarage.com/collections/phone-mounting-systems-motorcycle/products/juiced-squeeze-wireless-charging-phone-mount

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DSM8 said:

If you go to a switched power source and a charging puck then you do away with all the wires and the phone is constantly under power.

Sometimes trying to save a penny makes one pound foolish.

I have tested literally over a dozen different phone mounts, always wanting an option to power the phone.

Despite the price this has proven to be the best solution I have found to date for my needs.

https://shop-hondogarage.com/collections/phone-mounting-systems-motorcycle/products/juiced-squeeze-wireless-charging-phone-mount

Oh my.....That's a nice one. Have you used that with the Kyocera DuraForcePro? It costs twice what I paid for the phone. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it has done two trips down Baja and back and a couple more through death valley and big bear. Mount works exactly as expected and charges any phone that is enabled with puck charging capabilities.

You get what you pay for, which when I got done trying all the less expensive options I ended up paying almost that in failures.

Hope to save others the problem, just spend the money and be done with it, BUT is has to be on a switched power source otherwise it will kill a battery if left on a bike unattended long enough (about a week). It does have a very small constant power draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had purchased a used DuraForce Pro. Paid about $80 for it. It had a bad USB port. Returned it and got a brand new phone from these guys. It really is brand new and works great. $149.

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now!  Kyocera DuraForce Pro 32GB Black Verizon Durable Smartphone Rugged E6810 VZW https://ebay.us/HzbYCl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 10:47 AM, DSM8 said:

Yes it has done two trips down Baja and back and a couple more through death valley and big bear. Mount works exactly as expected and charges any phone that is enabled with puck charging capabilities.

You get what you pay for, which when I got done trying all the less expensive options I ended up paying almost that in failures.

Hope to save others the problem, just spend the money and be done with it, BUT is has to be on a switched power source otherwise it will kill a battery if left on a bike unattended long enough (about a week). It does have a very small constant power draw.

These guys sell the mount DSM8 describes and, separately, the charging puck that could be adapted to other mounts. It won't work with my mount (it's 8.5mm thick). But I thought some of you guys might be interested. https://motopowerpuck.com/product/motofastpuck/

I like the benefit that comes with the wireless charging, the phone remains waterproof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, Jim. You're going love the Duraforce...enjoy getting to know it's simplicity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I would update you guys on my experience so far using a mobile phone and apps for GPS navigation. First, thanks to all the other guys that posted here and helped me a bunch in getting going again with this! I've ridden about 300 miles or so using the DuraForcePro, Gaia Premium, Avenza and Locus Pro. So far as the actual app goes, Gaia worked out best for me. Also occasionally using Avenza for it's display of the PDF MVUM maps. Many of the other apps have a huge library of maps and the capability to use/dowmload other maps, but they just didn't have the ones that work best for me. Gaia has The USFS MVUM maps. They are very helpful for riding in the national forests. Gaia also has The USFS 2016 map. This one is invaluable! I thought I would need to download and use Sat maps out on the trail (most apps can do this), but between USFS 2016, USFS MVUM, and Garmin City Navigator 2020, I really haven't had to use the satellite maps out on the trail...yet. Based on the type of riding, and where you ride there may be other apps that will work best for you.

Still using my Garmin Montana 610, City Navigator 2020, and USFS MVUM maps on it. Still not sure yet if I will ditch it. Still using Garmin Base Camp for storage and editing tracks. I have not found a program yet as powerful for track editing. Gaia is excellent for creating routes. Most of the maps are routable, and can be done on the laptop's big screen. Base Camp is just as good for routing, but just doesn't have as many routable maps. Base Camp can convert routes to tracks, Gaia can't.

The first used DuraForcePro I bought (about $80) had a bad USB charger port. I returned it and got a brand new one for about $150. The DFP is very tough and the screen is bright. But using it in the heat (above 100deg) has it's limitations. The display needs to be at max brightness, or close to it, to be seen. This causes the phone to get hot, and uses lots of battery. The Gaia program, running full time uses lots of battery, and causes the phone to get hot. Both of these things running full time requires the phone to be constantly charged, and guess what? That makes the phone hot too! So right at about 100deg the phone will dim the display to protect itself. Very hard to see. Start of the ride, up into the cool mountains 75-80deg, things are good. After lunch heading back down to 3000 ft. As it starts to warm up to 100 the phone will dim. Airflow and switching the phone off, or turning off charging for a bit can help sometimes. The trusty old Montana also had some issues, but not until 105deg at the very end of the ride. Touch screen acted funny. So the heat  is a problem with the phone. Probably don't ride much when it's over 100 except on the way home. Managing the phone, display, charging, letting it cool when possible can help. The magnetic charger thingy did not work for me. Even with the new phone. It kept going in and out of charge mode, and I was afraid I was going to damage the USB port on the new phone. The USB part of the magnetic cable that was in the phone kept wiggling around. maybe ok on smooth stuff, not on AZ rocks. Pitched it, and have one of these on order https://motopowerpuck.com/product/complete-fast-squeeze-solution/ (thanks DSM8) Used the ADVrider discount code for 10% off. You have to look it up yourself. By the way, there is a nice slightly used MobArmor mount for sale on Ebay now.

The phone and it's apps are absolutely a big help to navigation used in addition to the Montana. Between the two devices and the many maps/apps, I have found some really great trails. The heat issue is a problem, but with the Montana still there I'm OK. The Montana is a much tougher device and can stand the heat and has a more robust setup for charging. Garmin, or somebody, needs to make a super tough device like the Montana that will run the phone apps. I don't think there is a phone out there yet as tough as a Garmin GPS unit. There are so many maps available on the phone apps, and they are easy to use and route.

Fun stuff, the testing continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×