Jump to content
Bp619

Phone based gps help!

Recommended Posts

Oracle I either you "sign in" or just be a "guest" on Caltopo. Signing in I believe you can save up to 5 maps you're working on.Maps you can "export" to GPX file or have it open in GE and save it as KML file. To get the mst out of Caltopo the YouTube tutorials made it very to helpful to make tracks quicker. I save all my maps to GPX, then import all maps to Basecamp. Basecamp I still store all my tracks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following...

I still have my Garmin Zumo GPS but now almost always use a dedicated iPhone. It's about 3 generations old and in a rugged case. Works well and doesn't use a phone card.

Note that other forums (and innumerable YouTube videos) have mentioned problems with more-recent iPhones that use magnets to stabilize the camera. Vibration on single-cylinder motos is mentioned as a prime cause. My iPhone doesn't have that structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have taken the plunge. So many people were asking me about the phones at the dash that I figure I should do it and learn. I bought a used Duraforce pro 2. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions.  Thank you for the guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ADV Bum said:

 

I have taken the plunge. So many people were asking me about the phones at the dash that I figure I should do it and learn. I bought a used Duraforce pro 2. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions.  Thank you for the guidance.

I have that phone and use it exclusively for my GPS needs hope you got the Verizon one it comes with the saphire glass which is scratch proof. You need to load a few apps and you will have a very useable GPS that is a stand alone and only needs wifi to update maps etc as needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just knocked out a quick 400 miles loop using my phone for GPS navigation exclusively for the first time. I used Gaia for building my route and navigating. There are some pretty nice features in the app for $19 a year, including all kinds of map overlays including USFS maps. The navigation worked well. But the there was a BIG drawback....the screen just is not bright enough to see the screen well. Hand held GPS units work much better in this regard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oracle, lets see if we can find the issue. The benefit of a phone is bigger screen to see more. My Garmin Montana is tiny screen in comparison. Phone has a "liyttle" learning curve for personal preference, so lets try to get it dialed in for you.

Let's start with the basics.

Were you in Topo Map or Satellite Map for map viewing on your ride offline?

Do you have a screen protector?

Was phone mounted parallel to the ground?

 

Mine personal preference always, is to ride by Topo Map offline. I download Satellite too, only switch to Satelitte Map when I come to a locked gate or new fence, or need a bail out. I will be stopped anyways, to go back and forth. Then go back to Topo map. Reason I go to Topo Map is beige background, shows super easy on screen, as my route is easily visible. Satellite Map is terrible to see while riding, but best to find those Single Trails.

Screen Protector, make sure your screen is clean, the oil in our skin, does smear screens sometimes. Minor I know, but everyone is different, keep a clean screen.

My preference for phone mount position, I like to be able to view it perfect when sitting down. So it has a tilt in, still can see while I stand up, but best viewing is sitting down. Only time looking at GPS normally, is at a stop, or coming to a corner, so more then likely sitting down. Main reason for tilt, is obviously number 1, sun glare.

 

Like I said, we'll get this dialed in for you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I had several people at the Dash asking me what app to use on their phones. Could people in the know suggest what app's to use and the cost's involved. Thank you

So Far-

GAIA at $19 year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy s7. Screen set at full brightness. I messed with the other screen settings, i.e. blue light and such, with no noticeable difference.

Mike, the Gaia app worked well. It has a feature called "snap to". This allows you to be looking at a trail on satellite view (or any other map view) and place a start point at the beginning of the trail and one at the end and the route will "snap" to the entire trail. Old ways was to do way point after way point after way point along the route, which was very time consuming. You can do it in the app on your phone or do it on a laptop before heading out. Building routes is definitely a lot easier than i used to be. 

Luna, I was running phone vertically. I messed with the angle of the phone as I'm used to doing this with a stand alone GPS. I was running in the topo mode because satellite view is too slow to load and seemed to be taking up some serious bandwidth while riding. I'll definitely try doing loading maps instead of streaming. No screen protector and I cleaned the screen with windex before setting out on the ride. 

Any more feedback is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another update. I really want to get this dialed. I'm leaving for a week long ride next week and really want to put the phone option to the test. I decided to try another phone, mostly because they are water proof and rugged, so I picked up a used Kyocerd Duraforce Pro off Ebay for $60. For the price, it's really a no brainer.

As soon as I got it, I set up the phone using my wifi network (this phone will not have service). It was super easy. I downloaded several apps, including Gaia GPS, which I already subscribe to. One the app was loaded, I opened it up and all my routes were there...super easy. 

I immediately notice the screen was much brighter than my Samsung, so I took a picture of them side by side, both at full brightness, no fitlers, and no screen savers...It a pretty big difference.

So I did a short ride today to test out the Kyocera....no problem seeing the screen now and Gaia worked perfectly. 

I also purchased the magnetic quick disconnect power cord. They are really cool. The small end stays in the phone charging port and works as a water resident plug...the power cord attaches to the small end magnetically and seems to be very strong for it's size. So I'll be giving this setup a try on the Arizona Peace Trail...700 plus miles of offroad heaven...I'll update when I get back. 

Resized_20200308_123826.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humm might need to buy now for baja ride in 10 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oracle, sorry little late, but yes, Phone would have been my next question. Glad it's working out for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just got done putting the Kyocera Duraforce Pro (Verizon model with the better screen) through a 700 mile off road test on the the Arizona Peace Trail (APT). Let me just come out and say it....I will never go back to a regular GPS platform again as my primary navigation device. The phone worked really well. It was brighter than my Garmin. Much more user friendly. Has way more features that I actually used on the trail. And is so much less expensive. 

So my setup included the phone, A Ram X mount, and magnetic power cable hooked into a 2.1 amp switched USB power port mounted on my bars. I've been using the Ram X for many years on many rides....and to be completely honest, I have always had some issues with it. In this particular case, it was a challenge to get the phone seated in the mounted without at least one of the mount arms pushing one of the phone side buttons. I finally figured it out, but the phone has to be in a precise position in the mount to avoid this. If it wasn't precise, the phone would sense one of the side buttons being pushed (and held in) and would shut itself off eventually. So I will be looking at other mount options before my next ride.

The magnet cable was a bust. Even though it's cool and simple, the strength of the magnet was no match for the pounding of the APT. It would constantly break contact with the phone and I'd loose charging. So a regular USB to mini USB cord will solve this problem.

We encountered several challenges on the ride. Including several times where we had to regroup, pick different trails, and backtrack due to major river crossings that were unpassable. The phone made this easy. Pulling up satellite views and being able to see other trails already loaded in the Gaia app made things less stressful. Also being able to see all the GPS tracks at once when desired, being able to see the names of those tracks right on the screen, and being able to turn each track on and off very easily. 

So with that said, the Kyocera found a home on my bars. I will probably always carry my Garmin as well on multi day rides. It was really nice being able to put the primary tracks only in my Garmin with the screen zoomed into 500' or so and then keep the Kyocera set will all the GPS tracks running, topo and satellite view, and zoomed out to see the bigger picture. But if I had to choose only one, it would be the phone.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Well, I just got done putting the Kyocera Duraforce Pro (Verizon model with the better screen) through a 700 mile off road test on the the Arizona Peace Trail (APT). Let me just come out and say it....I will never go back to a regular GPS platform again as my primary navigation device. The phone worked really well. It was brighter than my Garmin. Much more user friendly. Has way more features that I actually used on the trail. And is so much less expensive. 

So my setup included the phone, A Ram X mount, and magnetic power cable hooked into a 2.1 amp switched USB power port mounted on my bars. I've been using the Ram X for many years on many rides....and to be completely honest, I have always had some issues with it. In this particular case, it was a challenge to get the phone seated in the mounted without at least one of the mount arms pushing one of the phone side buttons. I finally figured it out, but the phone has to be in a precise position in the mount to avoid this. If it wasn't precise, the phone would sense one of the side buttons being pushed (and held in) and would shut itself off eventually. So I will be looking at other mount options before my next ride.

The magnet cable was a bust. Even though it's cool and simple, the strength of the magnet was no match for the pounding of the APT. It would constantly break contact with the phone and I'd loose charging. So a regular USB to mini USB cord will solve this problem.

We encountered several challenges on the ride. Including several times where we had to regroup, pick different trails, and backtrack due to major river crossings that were unpassable. The phone made this easy. Pulling up satellite views and being able to see other trails already loaded in the Gaia app made things less stressful. Also being able to see all the GPS tracks at once when desired, being able to see the names of those tracks right on the screen, and being able to turn each track on and off very easily. 

So with that said, the Kyocera found a home on my bars. I will probably always carry my Garmin as well on multi day rides. It was really nice being able to put the primary tracks only in my Garmin with the screen zoomed into 500' or so and then keep the Kyocera set will all the GPS tracks running, topo and satellite view, and zoomed out to see the bigger picture. But if I had to choose only one, it would be the phone.

 

Do I need to buy a Unlock version? I checking on e-ba.. and see some with 32GB and 64GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Do I need to buy a Unlock version? I checking on e-ba.. and see some with 32GB and 64GB.

You don't need to worry about it being unlocked unless you want to activate it. Mine is purely for GPS nav so it is not activated. The advantaged to the Verizon version is that it has a better screen than the ATT / Sprint version. 

I purchased a 256 gig mini SD Card for my phone so I would have extensive storage for off line maps and satellite views.

Check Amzon as well. They have used phones.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear lb I got mine in and setup as well but trip to Baja last weekend got cancelled so didn't end up using, will have to practice new tracks for now walking around house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Good to hear lb I got mine in and setup as well but trip to Baja last weekend got cancelled so didn't end up using, will have to practice new tracks for now walking around house

What app are you using Bri?

I've actually created tracks, both street and dirt, on the phone very easily. It's also nice to do them on a laptop and have them auto sync to the phone via the app. It's so much easier than creating tracks on basecamp or even just the process of loading tracks is way easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bit the bullet and decided to quit messing around, after trying numerous option and having one of their standard holders on my bike for almost 5 years now it was a no brainer and it has worked perfectly on trip thru Baja on the 990.

 

https://shop-hondogarage.com/collections/phone-mounting-systems-motorcycle/products/juiced-squeeze-wireless-charging-phone-mount

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured I would try the Roam Co- Pilot, but to much button interference.  Any other suggestions for a mount? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

I figured I would try the Roam Co- Pilot, but to much button interference.  Any other suggestions for a mount? 

I'm researching now. Will post up if I find something worth mentioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Hondo Vice on my Bike without the charger option. Works good so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

55 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I'm researching now. Will post up if I find something worth mentioning.

 

I found this. It will mount with the ball mount you already have. Made from aluminum with minimal contact to the phone. Looking at the phone it should not hit any buttons. I found this to be half of what others are charging. I went ahead and ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6F8QVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oracle said:

What app are you using Bri?

I've actually created tracks, both street and dirt, on the phone very easily. It's also nice to do them on a laptop and have them auto sync to the phone via the app. It's so much easier than creating tracks on basecamp or even just the process of loading tracks is way easier. 

Gaia pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK , I have a Phone on my way, let see if it is so much easier for the no Brain old guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

OK , I have a Phone on my way, let see if it is so much easier for the no Brain old guy.

I'll still give you $100 for your Montana .... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×