Jump to content
paulmbowers

Chirp, anyone?

Recommended Posts

Has anyone had any luck getting the Baos to connect with Chirp, especially from a proper computer- a Mac?
I'd like to create a file with local repeaters I can share/upload/clone with our small group of licensed operators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baufengs? Yep do it all the time. The 8 watt'ers like my UV5RTP have to use the setting for F8HP's. Other than that the secret is in the USB/Serial drivers at least for Windows particularly if your cable doesn't use the FTDI chipset. With an FTDI cable it's seamless. Don't speak Mac so can't help you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like you figured it out. It’s all about getting the right cable. Kind of a crap shoot trying to get an authentic cable. Lots of fakes out there. Think I got lucky with the one I got. Was able to connect and program with zero issues. I also use windows. I stopped drinking that Mac koolaid years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paulmbowers said:


I'd like to create a file with local repeaters I can share/upload/clone with our small group of licensed operators.

I would be interested in working more with the repeaters and possibly working them more into our group / rides.  I did it a little bit when i first got my license. I can connect with the repeater on Mt. Woodson on my 5w hand held from my house in Poway. And on my bike when close enough. It was pretty cool talking to a guy in Dell Mar while on the bike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a licensed ham for going on almost 20 years. Most repeater operators will not take kindly to using repeaters for extended transmission sessions such as a group ride. They do allow it for special events with permission ahead of time but it's frowned upon outside of those conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Most repeater operators will not take kindly to using repeaters for extended transmission sessions such as a group ride. 

Agreed. But I would like to advance the radio protocol a bit to include the option. For example, if a rider separates from the group we'd all switch to a repeater freq after a specific time, or just use a specific "hailing repeater". 

I suggested something like this for DD one year, but the idea was shut down.🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like other have said its about the right cable. I have CHIRP all my radios and moto friends. However in my situation, when riding with SXS guys that have rugged radios that are preprogrammed, I look at Cheat sheet they bring ex. Weatherman is 151.625, and type in numbers manually. Just seems quicker to enter numbers manually then scrolling. Plus on preprogammed numbers always can hear someone else on that channel on big weekends.

I will say we still stop at every fork in road to get visual, but radio is a great tool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Agreed. But I would like to advance the radio protocol a bit to include the option. For example, if a rider separates from the group we'd all switch to a repeater freq after a specific time, or just use a specific "hailing repeater". 

I suggested something like this for DD one year, but the idea was shut down.🤷‍♂️

Exactly. Fine for short conversations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Or songs. 

No, no, no....

Prohibited:

(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

No, no, no....

Prohibited:

(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification.

Pfft.

Rules, schmules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, paulmbowers said:

Pfft.

Rules, schmules.

Well it is arguable that your singing could be construed as music so you may be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

Well it is arguable that your singing could be construed as music so you may be ok.

MODERATOR!

He's picking on meee!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×