Went riding with some locals today with the intention to just cruise around and explore.  Get some time on the KLR before it finds a new home.  The road out was nice and uneventful.  Thought the route back would be too.  Didn't plan to see that much water, mud, slush, snow, and solid ice still on the ground.  Between that and riding a beast of a KLR in those conditions, I worked pretty hard to get up and over that mountain.  Great time in the end though.  First time riding in snow and ice.  

image.jpeg

Where did you hit the snow?

Thanks. I'm familiar with it. Was that picture taken right after you passed through the gate?

Yeah we just past the cattle guard.  Maybe a half mile back there was a 3 way intersection, where the left side went to a locked gate, right brought us to this.  The saw ice and snow off and on for about 5 miles up to this point, and a little less after.  

A few minutes earlier we were dealing with a lot of this.  Not real steep, but steep enough getting traction was rough.  Snow on top of water and mud.

image.jpeg

Edited by RobATK94
Added comment

I did this ride on December 29th and got fucked up bad, broke 3 vertebrae, collapsed lung, bruised liver, bruised kidney, broken 6 ribs in multiple locations and did a number on the ol' collar bone. Crash occurred just after the cattle guard after exiting the single track. It was a weird one, stuck a rain rut or something and POW. I don't remember much, wish I did so I could understand what went wrong. Anyhoo, I ended up taking the fire roads back to the truck, that was the longest ride of my life, was in a lot of pain, good thing the adrenaline was pumping, otherwise, not sure how I would have pulled it off. Thanks to my good pal JB, he was a big help in ensuring that I got an ambulance ride to the trauma center.

Couple surgeries later and I'm doing good, 3-4 months off work, laid up on the couch, pain meds, physical therapy, etc, etc. Starting to get a little stir crazy, DVDs, books, netflix, blah blah blah, I just want to be healthy, haha. Rudy

Wow thats horrible good thing healing up gonna be a good redemption ride

Sorry to hear Rudy.  Congrats on riding back.  the longest ride back to your truck in your life, no doubt.  Heal up quickly.  Many of us have been there.  

Wow. That crazy.  With all the rain, the place is pretty well rutted up, and the 4x4s have dug some deep ruts out there.  Heal up fast.