dirt dame

Are you bored with your trails?

I don't know where this trail is. Utah maybe? But I got all tired out just watching it. :o If you like rock and heights this is the place for you. B)

I don't know where this trail is. Utah maybe? But I got all tired out just watching it. :o If you like rock and heights this is the place for you. B)

one of the comments:

This is the finish to the Porcupine Rim trail in Moab, which follows the rim of Jackass Canyon, back down to the Colorado River. On trail maps, it notes "the BLM does not recommend motorcycles on this part of the trail!"

one of the comments:

This is the finish to the Porcupine Rim trail in Moab, which follows the rim of Jackass Canyon, back down to the Colorado River. On trail maps, it notes "the BLM does not recommend motorcycles on this part of the trail!"

No wonder they rode on it, that last little quote is just an invitation to people looking for some extra thrills and danger. :o

Boy oh Boy......that trail brings back some memories.....

I rode that trail on my mountain bike ~15(?) years ago......we scanned the average temps and determined the best time of year to go to Moab would be April when the average temps were in the 70's......so we drive 14 hours and arrive to howling winds and temps in the 40's for our first couple of days at Slickrock.......chilly but doable.......the morning we had Porcupine on the agenda we awoke to ~4" of "SNOW"......but we were still able to convince some shuttle driver driver to take us up to Porcupine for the plunge back down the trail.......he was laughing the whole way.......we were the only idiots interested in riding that day......couldn't see a thing beneath the snow so the rock drop-offs were not only slick....they were also hidden......and the shift cables froze on my bike so I had to stay in one gear the whole way down.....broke out a power bar about halfway down but I couldn't penetrate it with my teeth (seriously).......we were relieved when we finally decended down far enough where we only had to contend with pouring rain......funny now.....crazy then......

I would definitely like to go back sometime......you couldn't even see Jackass canyon through the snow/fog the day we rode there......

My friend Gil is going to Moab for a week starting next week....with his MXC520.....sweet.......he spends a week in Moab and a week in CO. every year.....nice annual game plan.....one of these days I'll have to tag along......

Here's a link to Gil's Moab area photo's from 2006/2007: Gil's Moab Pics

Porcupine Rim :o

Slickrock B)

Poison Spider B)

Gemini Bridges :o but still awesome views!!

Moab kicks ass!

Yeah- I used to go every year, too, til that thing got in the way... um... what was it??? Oh yeah... life

Gils Moab Pix were great. Especially the ones after the rain. Makes me wish I were there. maybe somebody from our group will put together a little ride. :o

I think you just volunteered yourself Mimi. So when are we going?

Don't tempt me :o Although late April, early May would probably be some good weather....

October is also a great time to go!

Mainly cuz my baby will be older then...

Okay, then October it is and you can lead us. :o

Be careful about the time you pick to go to Moab. If you choose to go around Easter you will find sky high motel/hotel/campground rates and a couple thousand jeeps on the trails. :o That is when the Red Rock Four Wheelers put on their annual run. My favorite run by the way! It lasts for a week and is the time that the local businesses really make their money.

They have a saying for spring and fall in Moab “If you don’t like the weather just wait…it will change”. I’ve been on the trail where we had light rain to start the morning. We ate lunch in the sun. It started snowing right after lunch. We finished the run with a late afternoon rain that was coming down hard and sideways.

I remember one year when we went to the Red Rock 4 Wheelers drawing at the end of the week. I decided to drive my truck there instead of my jeep. That way I could take some friends in an enclosed vehicle instead of my open top jeep. We parked under clear skies with a lot full of about a thousand jeeps. That evening after the drawing we came out to the parking lot and everything was covered with snow. All you could see was the white covered forms of jeeps and my distinctive shaped truck. Everyone else had problems finding their cars except me. B)

Okay enough of my reminiscing dribble. The point I’m trying to make is call before hand and check rates and availability. The summer is way to hot, winter to cold and everything in town is closed. Spring and fall are perfect times to go but expect the weather to change. You might get some rain or snow or sun all in the same day. When you do get a storm front it doesn’t stay too long, maybe a couple of days. Don’t go there for just a couple of days. Take at least a week vacation and enjoy the area. There are lots of trails, the river and many other things to do. :oB)

O yeah bring your own booze. Utah has some strange alcohol laws. B):o

post-122-1204330143_thumb.jpg

from slickrock.... being out on a sandstone slab, with lightning all around is an eerie feeling... this is a photo from my "friend" that shoves me whenever I am near a cliff... it won him a pair of rims at a local bike/photo contest

I have been out on the trail with lightening all around and had that eerie feeling that I might get french fried at any second. :o

Wow. How timely.

My Pops just called me up this week and invited Me and the Mrs. Spud to go spend a week in Moab. March 25-30(ish). Buncha his friends are headed there for the rally (I am assuming the 4-wheeler variety) and since he is coming from Idaho, that would be a good half-way point for us to meet. I don't think his math is much good.

Anyway...I was thinking of taking the KLR the whole way, maybe inviting some others for the start of the ride (out over the Salton Sea, towards Ariz, up to Moab / dirt as much as possible)...

Now that y'all are saying that things can get REAL unpredictable...I am considering only riding up part way, having the wife take the truck, and then load up for the final leg. That way I've got some back up when I am there for *special* weather.

Suggestions??

Wow. How timely.

My Pops just called me up this week and invited Me and the Mrs. Spud to go spend a week in Moab. March 25-30(ish). Buncha his friends are headed there for the rally (I am assuming the 4-wheeler variety) and since he is coming from Idaho, that would be a good half-way point for us to meet. I don't think his math is much good.

Anyway...I was thinking of taking the KLR the whole way, maybe inviting some others for the start of the ride (out over the Salton Sea, towards Ariz, up to Moab / dirt as much as possible)...

Now that y'all are saying that things can get REAL unpredictable...I am considering only riding up part way, having the wife take the truck, and then load up for the final leg. That way I've got some back up when I am there for *special* weather.

Suggestions??

That sounds like a good plan. It takes care of the weather problems. It's a long ride to Moab. I take 2 days to drive there pulling my jeep and 1 1/2 days to get back. Have fun!

take a truck and trailer for sure... lots of great rides on the way, but LOTS of slab, too. I buzz out on the interstate, and it makes for one LONG day...

swing by Brian Head and/or Gooseberry Mesa on the way.

There is no off roading in Arches, but it is a great place to hike and take pictures.

and the trails I posted about earlier... porcupine rim takes concentration

and the trails I posted about earlier... porcupine rim takes concentration

I will be riding with mostly quads and 4-wheelers...after watching the video - I dont think there are a lot of them on THAT trail...!

Ok, I'm going to have to assume this would be rated an "expert" trail, yes? Me watch, me see scary parts. Me fall off cliff in my mind.

Me hope you have a shorter way to fall off the cliff in your mind than the one in the video.

I wouldn't call it an expert trail, as much as an accident-waiting-to-happen trail.

:lol::blink::blink:

Sign me up I'm ready count me in !

Oh phooey! We know you'd volunteer to ride over a cliff, if it got you out of the snow and ice. :blink::blink: