ADV Bum

Ktm 990 adv 2 into 1 & aux tank

I am looking into this mod. Looking for input from first hand experience as to the pros or cons. Suggestions as to make of aux tank or exhaust that you liked or disliked.

Thank you

• The 990 has notoriously small gas tanks. I can go only 125-150 miles per tank. I am constantly running out of gas way before the BMW GS's. (Danrider is always having to find me gas stations.) The addition of an aux. tank is must do upgrade for longer rides.
  • If you use this tank below and the stock KTM pannier racks, the left rack interferes with the aux. gas tank cap and you will not be able to get the gas cap off. The rack needs to be modified by cutting and moving the rear mounting arm to provide access.

http://www.advtank.com/collections/ktm-950-990-adventure.

I am running the Remus 2 into 1 exhaust. Works fine. Combined, these are two fairly expensive upgrades, but worth it.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/remus-2-into-1-exhaust-system-ktm-950-990-adventure-stainless.html

Weight, dont you already have the front auxiliary tanks do you need that much range. Another con is if your carrying all the fuel everyone will use you as a station.

Weight, dont you already have the front auxiliary tanks do you need that much range. Another con is if your carrying all the fuel everyone will use you as a station.

I do have the aux/ fairing tanks. After talking to RJ at all american I found out they are rare. They are nice and at first I did not care if I messed them up, but know I figure I will go back to the original fairings and keep the expensive tanks nice for the future. I can also move the gas from the top front of the bike to the rear.

Smart didn't think of that. I've looked at doing the auxiliary tank for my 950 but mine came with safari and with the aux tank and a 2 into 1 exhaust price was kinda high, I have seen on advrider.com in the orange crush flea market every now and then a 2-1 exhaust for sale cheap for the adv

Run the gamut on this, and ended up with the Rottweiler rear tank, and a Rottweiler exhaust. Rottweiler is a client of mine, and I traded my services for their product for the tanks- I bought the exhaust out of pocket. I also use their intake system, and if I had a new (to me) bike, I'd do all the same thing all over again, even out of pocket.

I used the advtank.com http://www.advtank.com/collections/ktm-950-990-adventure/products/950-990-adventure-rally-fuel-tanktank for a couple years, and while it worked OK and carried more fuel than the large Rottweiler, the brackets are flimsy and need modification to avoid interference with the swingarm.

And these are SO COOL:

21886814688_5f8647fbc2_c.jpg

However.

If I had a set of Safari tanks, that's what I'd be using. They're not rare- they can be purchased new, in stock at the Justgastanks.com

I have an ancillary question. Is the mileage Mikey stated similar to what other 990 owners are experiencing? I get 150 miles before my reserve light comes on, then I know I have about a 45 mile range from there. If Mikey, and other 990 owners, are only getting 125 to 150 miles per fill, that seems like a rather large discrepancy from the 950's range.

I have an ancillary question. Is the mileage Mikey stated similar to what other 990 owners are experiencing? I get 150 miles before my reserve light comes on, then I know I have about a 45 mile range from there. If Mikey, and other 990 owners, are only getting 125 to 150 miles per fill, that seems like a rather large discrepancy from the 950's range.

That's almost exactly my range and experience, without the aux tank.

However.

If I had a set of Safari tanks, that's what I'd be using. They're not rare- they can be purchased new, in stock at the Justgastanks.com

I have a set of these tanks in blue to match the adv s paint scheme, not the large safari tanks.

950-90%20carbon%20tanks_zpsmioyywto.jpg

I figure I will try the aux tank to move weight to the rear first (cheaper). I found this set on CL so I will try it.

aux%20tank_zpspsbi1pdr.jpg

I do not know what air intake/ filter set up the PO installed, but I like the Rottweiler intake set up. Is that plug and play, or do you have to modify anything? I do know the PO put some tray upgrade under the seat and dont know if that will interfere with the Rottweiler set up.

The links you provided are for tire irons

The links you provided are for tire irons

I know photobucket has been doing strange things lately.

Ah! Never seen those tanks, so must be rare.

Rott intake is sorta plug/play, but you need to do the SAS block off.

Also, you're best served doing the intake/exhaust together, then using TuneECU to remap.

I guess I will do the upgrades I have parts for and scheduled first and see where I end up. Thanks for the input.

I guess I will do the upgrades I have parts for and scheduled first and see where I end up. Thanks for the input.

I own the TuneECU cable if you'd like to borrow it, but have no experience using it.

I get about 125 when I have the GF with me and all the camping gear. I am closer to 150 without the extras.

The Rot tank is perty.

I don't always crash but when I do I have cracked two of the rear plastic tanks.