Spaugh

shoei hornet DS helmet

I like the face shield, hoping it will keep the dust out and the cold air when its chilly. Anyone have one or have any comments on these crossover helmets?

OQQ-1007-MP.jpg

I like my Simpson GS3-MX helmet. You do get air flow around the face shield which keeps it from fogging up. Keeps most of the dust out, but not all. Also cheaper then the other two.

GMXhelmet.jpg

I kinda like my Arai XD. :)

AraiXD.jpg

I also like my ARAI XD. I have had mine for 2 years now. You can wear sunglasses or perscription glasses inside without any hassel and I have found in windy conditions in glamis they keep out the sand better than my friends traditional helmets. $375.00 at cycle gear in San Marcos, see Loren. The shoie and arai look the same,price, I dont know. Joilet also just bought the arai.

Generally it sounds like everyone likes their DS helmets. I'll give it a try. I've got a good deal on a shoei lined up for ~380ish. Seems like a hell of alot to spend on a helmet but everyone seems to like them.

BE SURE to try them on. My head won't fit comfortably in any Shoei, but will happily in an Arai.

Love my XD.

fn

I like the face shield, hoping it will keep the dust out and the cold air when its chilly. Anyone have one or have any comments on these crossover helmets?

My Arai XD keeps the dust down and is really convenient on the road in the cold. The face sheild gets a little "glary" in the early morning and late afternoon sun.

My Arai XD keeps the dust down and is really convenient on the road in the cold. The face sheild gets a little "glary" in the early morning and late afternoon sun.

"glary" is not a word :lol:

damn... I just looked it up... I guess it is...

spaugh; be careful of the glariness of the Arai

I have only rode with my Aria around town. I am a little worried that I won't like it in the dirt. Even around town when I come up to a light it starts to fog up on me when closed. I think when it is hot and riding technical stuff where you are breathing hard I will have to lift the shield, and at that point I will probably want a conventional dirt helmet. I will know after the dash. :lol: Ken

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I have only rode with my Aria around town. I am a little worried that I won't like it in the dirt. Even around town when I come up to a light it starts to fog up on me when closed. I think when it is hot and riding technical stuff where you are breathing hard I will have to lift the shield, and at that point I will probably want a conventional dirt helmet. I will know after the dash. :D Ken

[/quote) I thought that was the big selling point. :lol:

I used to ride technical sections with sun glasses, because a goggle fogs up. Dig Dug told me his goggles have saved an eye before. :o

I now wear goggles all the time. :)

I wear prescription glasses, so I had a set of Oakley M style sunglasses made up. I ride with them all the time. This allows me to flip up the visor in low-dust areas, but still have plenty of eye protection. Lots of airflow, keeps me very cool. I mean, if its at all possible for me to be even more cool than I already am. :lol: But I digress.

At night, I have a pair of clear glasses to provide the same protection.

fn

I thought you could wear goggles with the XD? Flip up the visor and wear goggles under it? Maybe you have to remove the visor in order to do it.

I've ridden dusty dirty with my street helmet (Arai Profile), and the dust gets everywhere! In my experience, the goggles tend to do a better job of keeping dust away from your eyeballs.

I used to ride technical sections with sun glasses, because a goggle fogs up. Dig Dug told me his goggles have saved an eye before. :o

I now wear goggles all the time. :D

True 'dat!

Here's my most flattering portrait:

eyedamagepb3.jpg

I was riding a very slow downhill in muddy terrain when the caked up knobbies caught a rut and threw my head into a manzanita bush. A 1" thick branch snapped and the end shoved directly into my goggles, pressing on my eye. The two cuts you see below my eye are from the edge of the goggles pressing against my face. It took about a half an hour before I wasn't seeing double, but other than a cool looking scar, no damage. Goggles saved my eye! (If only I could beat that into Mickey's head when I see him riding around with his goggles pulled down to his chinguard because they're fogged up!)

I bet a visor would have done an even better job in this case if it didn't break - far better than any sunglasses - be careful out there guys! (The soft plastic goggle lens has a pretty good crinkle to it)

Dang, where's bikeslut's "motorcycles are dangerous" thread?? :lol:

the shoei helmet is supposed to be better with the fogging. They have a mouth open close dealy thingy thats lets air in or keeps it out. Some guys on another site mentioned some anti fog products too. We'll see...

I was riding a very slow downhill in muddy terrain when the caked up knobbies caught a rut and threw my head into a manzanita bush. A 1" thick branch snapped and the end shoved directly into my goggles, pressing on my eye.

Dang, where's bikeslut's "motorcycles are dangerous" thread?? :lol:

Now, now....we both know that it's manzanita bushes that are dangerous. All you have to do is go look at my injury shot from a couple of weeks ago and you can see that I should have been wearing a pair of sturdy googles on my left hip :o:):D .

I thought you could wear goggles with the XD? Flip up the visor and wear goggles under it? Maybe you have to remove the visor in order to do it.

I've worn goggles under the XD face shield on a cold day :lol: The face shield still flips down and locks in place.

"Glary"... what does it really mena?

I've worn goggles under the XD face shield on a cold day :lol: The face shield still flips down and locks in place.

"Glary"... what does it really mena?

Dangit R-O!!! You're going to make me spend more money, aren't you???

Sounds like the perfect dual-sport solution - visor for the street, goggles for the dirt with minimal frustration to swap between.

spaugh - let us know if the Shoei works the same way and how you like it!

the shoei helmet is supposed to be better with the fogging. They have a mouth open close dealy thingy thats lets air in or keeps it out. Some guys on another site mentioned some anti fog products too. We'll see...

The Aria does also, I have just been concentrating on breaking in the bike and havn't messed with the helmet vents yet. :lol: Ken

I also ride with the XD. I use it almost every day commuting with the only downside being that it fogs up sometimes in the cold mornings.

In the dirt I use googles with no issues. When it gets really dusty I shut the shield for a little extra dust protection. Overall, I love my XD.

The only downside I have found is that I have FogCity anti-fog visor inserts (which are awesome btw!!) in my other helmets but I can't find one that fits the XD shield correctly. I know they exist because I saw an XD on ADVrider that had one.

I've even customized my XD:

araixdqp0.jpg

The nice thing about my Simpson helmet besides the price, is that it doesn’t fog up as much. Any speed at all and there is no fogging. The only problem is my style of riding is very slow so I fog on rare occasions. :rolleyes:

GMXhelmet.jpg

that simpson looks sweet , just looked them up $139.00 , but an extra $100.00 for the shield :D , still a better price than the others!!!!!

i picked up a new helmet at the orba show, was on sale so i grabbed it :good: , its an xtreme mx airmax series helmet ,company is out of carlsbad, great fit and stays very cool.

Spaugh, any pros and cons so far from the new Shoei?

I'd really like to get one a Hornets to replace the Nolan Flip, which I love for the convience. (Thanks Kevin). Shoei RF9000 Large fits me much better though. So I suppose I have a Shoei fit head. Anyone know where the Hornets might be tried on ? Or maybe someone would let me try a Medium on? Truly would like to buy local, but it seems the MAP (Manufacturer Adv Price) seems to keep the cost up.

Quote Spaugh: Generally it sounds like everyone likes their DS helmets. I'll give it a try. I've got a good deal on a shoei lined up for ~380ish. Seems like a hell of alot to spend on a helmet but everyone seems to like them.

This seems a pretty good price actually. Plese let me know where?

TIA

Spyder

Are the face shields relatively scratch resistant? I was wondering if passing a hand across a dust-covered visor could result in it getting scratched up.

I'm thinking about either getting one of these helmets or goggles with prescription lenses.

Are the face shields relatively scratch resistant? I was wondering if passing a hand across a dust-covered visor could result in it getting scratched up.

I'm thinking about either getting one of these helmets or goggles with prescription lenses.

Zina, I think that they are relatively scratch resistant. My Simpson has a couple of scratches from falling face down. No other damage to the helmet. I just broke the visor and scratched the face shield. The rest of the helmet did not appear to hit the ground. :blink::lol:

I carry glass wipes from CostCo with me to clean my goggles or face shield. That way I don’t use a dry glove on dust.

It still fogs up when going slowly in the cold. I didn’t take it up north on the lobby day pre-ride. I wish I had it with me. My goggles fogged up a few times and made it hard to see. The shield I could have just flipped up until I got started and then flipped down. Another learning experience, I guess. :D