Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

XR440 flooding after falls

Hello,

I have a XR440 with an old-school FCR39 pumper carb. This carb does not have a choke or hot start button. It has a 168 main jet and 45 pilot jet (which I think is the stock setup). The bike has a Supertrapp exhaust and open air box with Uni air filter. Stock headers. It seems to run best with the fuel screw about 2 1/2 turns out. I have only very slight poping on decel. The bike runs great, really. It starts to sputter a bit at high altitude, but I figure that's normal. Float is set at 9mm.

The carb is a horizontal FCR39 with plugs over the choke and hot start spots, like this one:

bba295ff.jpg

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/823860-xr400-pumper-carbs-fcr39-installed-comments-and-suggestions-welcome/

The bike starts fine cold. The bike starts fine hot. But when I lay over the bike the baby floods and it's a pain to kick start. Really a pain. 15 minutes of kicking to get her back running.

I have tried the technique of holding the throttle open and running it through with the compression release. No luck. Probably because this is a pumper carb.

I emailed Sudco and got this response:

Does it start super easy cold? Maybe your pilot jet is too rich then when the bike gets warm it gets overly rich making it hard to start. When you stall it when warm, do not touch the throttle because that is just going to squirt more fuel in the cylinder with the accelerator pump making the problem worse. Try turning off the fuel and kick the bike a few times, then turn the fuel back on. The TM36 if very similar and most likely will be the same situation.

I have not tried turning off the petcock and running it through. Maybe I will give that a shot the next time.

I also asked Sudco about installing a hot start on the carb. They replied:

I know Four Stroke Works used to offer a kit to make the standard FCR like yours have a hot start, not sure if they still do, their number is 760-948-0325

I emailed Four Stroke Works but no reply. I will give them a call soon.

Any other magical advice for starting a flooded XR after a fall? Thanks!

Ride it down a large hill in 3rd year with clutch pulled in, release clutch before getting to the bottom.

Maybe check the overflow tube , make sure it is clear of obstruction .

Don't drop the bike and problem solved! or maybe kick through 10x with fuel off to clear.

Don't drop the bike and problem solved! or maybe kick through 10x with fuel off to clear.

Well, this was going to be my answer.

My 99 WR400 had an external hot start, I removed it after installing a newer carb. It was hooked into the air box from what I remember.

Ride it down a large hill in 3rd year with clutch pulled in, release clutch before getting to the bottom.

Maybe check the overflow tube , make sure it is clear of obstruction .

The two overflow tubes were melted shut by the exhaust. I replaced them. Man that would be great if that fixes the issue.

Not sure it being a pumper would effect the open throttle clearing method. I have a pumper on my DR, and I successfully use that method to start after falls: Hold compression release, open throttle, 8-10 kicks. Then two twists of throttle and kick.

Hope you got it figured out.

Sounds like a carbed bike.

The accelerator pump only sends extra fuel to the carb when opening the throttle. Once it's open, and held open, it functions like any "non pumper" carburetor. Meaning no additional fuel is released. When you put it upside down, turn off the gas, right the bike, open the throttle, AND HOLD IT OPEN while you kick it through a dozen times. Then turn the fuel on and startlike normal. Should fire right up then.

back in the day when i was running big pistion engine powered aircraft (think 18 liters of turbocharged glory) the trick for cold starting was to flood the engine first then cut fuel and hold the throttle wide open while cranking. As soon as it strted sputtering pull the thrttle back to idle and reintroduce fuel. The big beasts would start right up. Otherwise, by using the recommended procedure would crank and crank and crank and burn up starter motors quickly.

Holding the decompression lever while kicking it is similiar as opening the throttle plate. It lets air in thru ex pipe , only without adding extra fuel.

There are some metal (clips) that come factory located under the bowl screws

And one on the pump that the vent (drain) tubes route thru in order to keep them from Melting on the pipe.

The clips are most likely unavailable from the dealer.ebay probly has them.

Thanks. I will tip over the bike and try some of these tips the next time I am at the top of a hill.

Mine did that too. Minus a hill it was a b-----. bear(sorry). I fixed it by doing all kinds of carb work and then selling it to a 19 year old and buying a bike with estart.