johnnyg

basic electrical help?

hi all, i've got an '03 640 adv and my radiator fan doesn't switch on, so i'd like to rectify the issue (see what i did there?). i would like to wire the fan with an on/off switch mounted up on the bars/dash area and would use an inline fuse between the switch and fan, 5 or 10A. i'm electrically challenged and wondering if this would work ok? has anyone here tried this type of mod before?

thanks in advance for any and all help!

regards,

johnnyg

Yep, it will work fine. The current switch is just an on/off controlled by a thermo sensor most likely. You'll just replace the thermo sensor with your own. I assume you've bypassed the sensor to make sure the fan is working?

What Tim is saying: There should be 12v at one terminal of the radiator thermal switch. 12v measured to ground. The fan already has the ground connected, just run 12v to the new switch and the other side of the switch to the fan terminal.

Do you have spare fuses?? Ha

hey guys, thanks for the quick replies...

tim, i'd experienced high temp, intermittent fan turning and off -- on hot day, slow climbs only, never comes on otherwise-- and i assumed the sensor-fan connection, or the sensor itself, was faulty. i'd think fan motors are pretty reliable(?), but i haven't tested it yet... chasing down other issues currently.

bags, that's what i was thinking, bypass the sensor with a switch.

thanks so much for the replies, i'll let you know how it goes!

regards,

johnnyg

Why not just get the thermo switch working. Then the fan only runs when needed and you can focus on riding. They sell different temperature switches at the auto store. You want a 190F switch.

Why not just get the thermo switch working. Then the fan only runs when needed and you can focus on riding. They sell different temperature switches at the auto store. You want a 190F switch.

I agreee. I have this switch which i bought for a ktm 525 and never used it and sold the bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-201-1310-Thermo-Switch/dp/B000CB5H46

Your welcome to have it if you think would fit temp range. Is 95-90° Celsius