Sign in to follow this  
TrophyHunter

6D Helmets.

I gave them a look last time I bought a helmet. Pretty cool,the price is not as cool. I guess I don't value my head as much as I should.

When they build a Drop Down face shield, I will get on board.

I have been using a 6d for about a year now. The fit and quality are top notch. The technology is long overdue and something I firmly believe in after suffering a big crash that impacted my head and back. Several other mfrs are making similar helmets now. They are pricey.

Very interesting and nice to see a shift in the helmet design paradigm. I didn't see a DS option though. And I'm all about DS helmets right now.

Very interesting and nice to see a shift in the helmet design paradigm. I didn't see a DS option though. And I'm all about DS helmets right now.

Me too, although 2 street helmets need updating.....but 2 x $$$$$ makes me wince. Maybe.......

I've had my 6D for a couple of years now and love it, very comfortable. The lining pops out very easy so I'm inclined to wash it more often and keep the helmet fresh.The price seems to be somewhat negotiable. I think the list on mine was $750.00 but I got it for under $500 which is in line with other top top of the line helmets.

CiD

One aspect of them that seems interesting that I'd like to get confirmation of is that the elastomer used doesn't look like a one time use material.

That is, current helmet designs with styrofoam inserts are designed to absorb impact by crushing and once crushed offer no further protection.

When I was racing and tipped over in practice or during a race and had any helmet to ground contact I tossed the helmet even if it appeared in pretty good shape. Better safe than sorry, but that gets spendy pretty quickly when you're wearing a $500+ Arai.

So in the long run these might be less expensive.

Also the styrofoam liners in current helmets degrade over time. Wonder if the elastomer does as well?

http://www.6dhelmets.com/#!faqs-/c1c2r

Had the same thought, Daryl. I kind of see this helmet the same as crumple zones on a car. Older cars sustain far less damage in a collision but the occupants sustained more. Current vehicles can be totaled with far less impact but the forces transmitted to the occupant(s) - in the helmets case, your brain - so I'm leaning toward this technology.

Appreciate the feedback of those who have been using these.

Q Is it possible to rebuild a 6D helmet after a crash involving a head strike?

A No, the 6D ATR-1 is assembled using adhesives and many interlocking parts, it is not designed to be disassembled.

Q Does my helmet still need to be replaced after an impact or crash?

A That depends on the severity of the impact. All motorcycle helmets utilize EPS or similar type foams that crush or yield upon impact to protect the athlete. If you experience an accident that involves a head strike, the EPS may be compromised and your helmet should be inspected by a qualified technician. We recommend that the helmet be returned to 6D for inspection.

Frankly any helmet should be replaced after a significant crash.The 6D is really the same as any other helmet with regard to the outer shell\liner. My opinion is the technology is a significant improvement over the traditional helmet. I was involved in serious crash and suffered compression fractures in two vertebrae. I was wearing a Bell Moto 9 and while it did it's job I have to wonder if the injury would have been less severe had I been wearing an energy absorbing helmet.

post-286-0-08758700-1446249706_thumb.jpg

FYI - Not sure why, but 6D helmets are on Amazon these days for $361 + tax... over half off. Several colors and sizes. Search for "6D ATR-1" and sort by price and you'll see em. I ordered one on Sunday, received today w Prime shipping and it's legit. Super nice product.

I think they are clearing old inventory. Nothing wrong with that. It's a great deal.

They have some as low as $329.00 , I'm tempted to get another one.

CiD

Paging Crawdaddy to the White Courtesy Phone!