Sign in to follow this  
wcgiv

Where to teach my 8yr old to ride

I just picked up a crf70 for my boy. He has never ridden a motorcycle before so I am looking for a place near north county(preferably) to teach him. I never learned when i was a kid so if there is any pointers you guys could give me that would be great.

Bill

There is a kid's training track at Corral Canyon at the Corral Canyon Campground.

Take him out to the dry lake bed at superstition once it cools down a bit. A track is not a great place to learn to stay upright imo.

I just picked up a crf70 for my boy. He has never ridden a motorcycle before so I am looking for a place near north county(preferably) to teach him. I never learned when i was a kid so if there is any pointers you guys could give me that would be great.

Bill

Good on ya Dad! Next you need to get him into Ice Hockey - serious, you can't beat the combo! :smile_anim: My son learned to ride on a JR50 and TTR90 in the Dez off the Cahuilla Trail in the ABDSP area north of Hwy 78. There is plenty of space on either side (west or east) of the trail that is "flat" and somewhat hardpacked...where the sand is not too soft or deep. There are spots that can get busy(depending on the weekend) but, in general there is plenty of space for him to build his confidence and have fun!

+1 for this training. I have heard very good reports about this.

And buy this book: http://www.motoventures.com/content/how-to-ride-off-road-motorcycles-techniques-for-beginner-advanced-riders-gary-laplante I've been riding for 48 years and I learned a bunch after reading it. They have a good section on how to teach beginners.

After he learns the basics - Ocotillo Wells, around the airport, is a nice flat hardpacked area to start, and then he can venture out a bit as he gets better.

Be patient.

You are a good Dad.

I highly recommend motoventure i did their beginning class about 4 years ago learned a lot. Now thinking abiut taking their advanced class

Thank you everyone for the advice. Motoventure school is definitely is a thing we will both do in the near future. Can't wait to get out there with him.

There is a mini track for beginners at the Ocotillo Wells Ranger station and visitor center off Hwy 78.