wildwood

Alpine to Idyllwild 2 day ride and camp Fri./Sat. Oct. 2-3

Neither do I but I've drank water from that spring multiple times without filtering. Tasted great and I didn't get any parasites haha. I do carry a hand pump water filter on the bike with me when traveling/camping though.

Also you need the permit even for containerized fuel stoves (like a jetboil) not just campfires. I have been asked for my fire permit up there one time before when cooking on my jetboil.

I've drank from that spring several times and never had any issues; last time I was there it wasn't running though. Beautiful camping up there. Hoping I can make it up there with you guys, I"ll have a VHF/UHF radio handy to find everyone if I have to come in late, which looks to be the case as I have a noon work appointment on Friday.

Would like to go where can I meet up with you fri morning? I am comming from Tijuana so I will probably do the slab ride up the 8 to alpine.

Working Friday, but may run up and meet up with you guys for the night. I would reccomend Santa Rosa over Thomas Mountain- Better camping options and views.

Will watch this thread for updates.

Wildwood is meeting HERE ---> https://www.google.com/maps/dir/32.8279248,-116.6267348/32.8284418,-116.6247646/@32.8124592,-116.6558853,7704m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

At 8 AM

I will be there.

Maybe an updated 1st page is in order for who and where.

Now if you would have said the Descanso exit I would have known what you meant. Ok got it will try and be there unless something comes up.

I was up there pretty recently and fires were prohibited.

Downs: I wasn't sure to refill my bladder or not is the water from the spring drinkable? I don't remember seeing a sign.

Kato, are you still planning on going on this ride? If so, can you lead from Anza to the "Fire place"? I know that spots on Thomas Mnt. but not Santa Rosa

The fire permit process online is easy - test at the end of the video - print out at home. I got one for my mini-stove. Thx to Downs for pointing that out ahead of time.

Ditto. Thanks for the tip.

So......., a couple questions.

What's for dinner? Or is it every man for himself?

And where's the closest beer stop (how far do we have to carry beer to campsite)? :drinks: Or is it going to be warm whiskey, beef jerky and cheese keeping us going.

I planned on bringing freeze dried for dinner, coffee and a bar in the AM.

The store/gas station (Circle K) in Anza is sorta the last pit stop for supplies if I remember correctly.

We could get a sit down meal at Paradise Valley Café at 371 & 74 before the right turn to search for the dirt road going up to Toro.

Open for whatever.

I planned on bringing freeze dried for dinner, coffee and a bar in the AM.

The store/gas station (Circle K) in Anza is sorta the last pit stop for supplies if I remember correctly.

We could get a sit down meal at Paradise Valley Café at 371 & 74 before the right turn to search for the dirt road going up to Toro.

Open for whatever.

It looks like up to 6 people camping, maybe 9 total riding in. My pack still has room for beer, some fresh meat and fixin's. I planned on freezing some water bottles to keep beer cold, then using the water in camp.

If we are going through Anza and can buy beer there, that would be ideal. With a couple mini stoves and my 750ml cooking pot, we could whip up some fajita's & beans pretty easy. If anyone's interested in being that creative. :unsure:

Apart from riding, eating and drinking beer is very high on my priorities list.

we will go straight threw anza so just pick up beer there. still time to order your 64oz stainless growler from amazon with 1 day shippiing will keep beer cold all night

Hi- Sounds like some of you are not that familiar with the area so here is some info and directions that may help.

Their are 2 ways up to the top of Santa Rosa.

The first is the west approach up Santa Rosa Truck Trail -Forest Route 7S02- This is the easiest and most direct way up and would be the Big-Bike Friendly way to go.

The second way up is Sawmill Trail-Forest Route 7S01 . Access is from the Pinyon Flats Transfer Station This is a farily accessible dirt road 2/3 up the east side that ends at a Charcoal Kiln. From this point on it is a 2-track 4X4 road that climbs up to meet 7S02 from the west. This route often has detours around fallen trees and woulld not be reccomended for Novice riders on Big Bikes. I have not been up this way this year so I am not sure of current trail conditions.

The Paradise Cafe is open from 8:00 am- to 8:00 pm Friday and Saturday. Great place to grab a Burger or Breakfast. Anza has a small market in the center of town right near a post office if you need something Circle K does not offer.

Schedule permitting - still planning on heading up before sundown on Friday, if not sooner.

TT

Thx TT. I've been up there once but it's been a couple of years. Def want the big bike friendly route.

I called USFS Idyllwild and NO CAMPFIRES are allowed in the Santa Rosa Mtns until further notice. Small camp stoves - with permit - are still allowed.

I am getting a little confused.(Like always) Help me out here. Is our destination Thomas mountain or Santa Rosa Mountain. I know they are both in the Santa Rosa Mountains.

Thanks Ken for checking to see if fires are allowed right now.

I am bringing a small stove, soup, coffee, lots of water and a few snacks. And Moon Shine! Maybe. Ha ha.

Oh, one more thing. Are Adventure passes required?

I am getting a little confused.(Like always) Help me out here. Is our destination Thomas mountain or Santa Rosa Mountain. I know they are both in the Santa Rosa Mountains.

Thanks Ken for checking to see if fires are allowed right now.

I am bringing a small stove, soup, coffee, lots of water and a few snacks. And Moon Shine! Maybe. Ha ha.

Oh, one more thing. Are Adventure passes required?

We have talked about both options. Sounds like the majority are leaning toward camping on Santa Rosa, which is fine with me.

The general plan (i.e. what we have done in the past) is stop in Anza and pick up the good stuff (i.e. Beer and ice and last minute things). Then we'll head up the mountain and set up camp. From there, people can decide to go on a ride or whatever they want. Personally, I'll be chilling out enjoying ICDB (ice cold delicious beverages) at that point.

As far as food....I like to keep it simple. Only thing I must have is coffee in the morning. As long as I can use someone's Jetboil or camp stove, I won't have to kill anyone. :heh:

Also, if anyone going wants to meet up in Ramona, let me know. We can ride out and meet up with the others in Santa Isabel..Wildwood or Trophy...what time do you want to meet in Santa Isabel??? BTW, I'm not in a rush...so it doesn't have to be early. I'd prefer 9 or so.

Also, if anyone going wants to meet up in Ramona, let me know. We can ride out and meet up with the others in Santa Isabel..Wildwood or Trophy...what time do you want to meet in Santa Isabel??? BTW, I'm not in a rush...so it doesn't have to be early. I'd prefer 9 or so.

It's about 1.5 hr. from here to Santa Ysabel going through Cedar Creek. We should be there about 9:30 with KSU at 8am here. And Top Ramen is OK by me. The refreshments will make up for it.

Bob - from what I read today, no ADV pass is needed. I'd prefer Toro Peak (Santa Rosa Mtns)

Radios - I can bring mine if someone else will have one. I'll be sweeping on the Tiger most likely.

And my understanding now is Kick Stands Up at 8 AM at 79 (Descanso Exit) and I-8.

I have a Doctor's appt for my eye surgery follow up Firday morning at 0900 that I forgot about. I will link up with Stoke and meet ya'll up at Santa Rosa. Just to clarify is the "fire place" the intended destination for that night? More than likely myself and stoke will be behind everyone else and will need to pave road it to the Truck Trail turn off to catch up. Maybe cut across from Warner Springs on dirt to Anza.

Just FYI for those that prefer whiskey there is a liquor store in Anza down the road from the circle K that has a pretty good selection.

Myself and stoke are both HAMS so can reach anyone with a HT that his up there on our way up incase the plan changes.

Bob - from what I read today, no ADV pass is needed. I'd prefer Toro Peak (Santa Rosa Mtns)

Radios - I can bring mine if someone else will have one. I'll be sweeping on the Tiger most likely.

And my understanding now is Kick Stands Up at 8 AM at 79 (Descanso Exit) and I-8.

I'll be on the air. I know the route well so can lead to Anza with Wildwood's blessing (his ride) or I can take 2nd position or wherever works out.

Ken, can you lead from Anza to the "Fire place"?

I can get us to the big bike friendly start of Santa Rosa TT - 5 miles east of 371/74 intersection. I'll have to look at Downs' stuff and figure out where the fireplace is.

As you said, wildwoods ride, so just trying to help where I can - which is very little. :)

I'll be on the radio, also.

Anyone going on small bikes? I'm lurking on this one. I've never camped off the bike before and this might be a good local one to try out. I have a drz400s