Socaldualer

Mammoth Lakes /Crowley Lake area trails?

Wife and i are ready to roam, looked into the old Franko Maps and was looking for something like the one they have for Big Bear but i didnt see one. Have a free place to stay in Crowley lake area to use as a base and interested in med-long rides.

Anyone know of a good map or a good place to start researching areas to ride?

We did the trail that connects Mammoth to June Lake loop. Lot of fun with lots of sand. You end up across the street from the Shell station at 395 and 158. Then from the Shell station you can cross 395 and there are some really nice gravel roads as well as some really sandy ones that follow the pole line. Crater loop is a nice ride. (I think you could ride all the way to Mono Lake from there if you didn't get tired of the sand.)

At the other end of 158 (June Lake loop) there are some cool mountainous rides; mostly good fire roads. Some go almost all the way up to Tioga pass. They begin across 158 from Grant Lake.

There are also dirt routes into Bodie Ghost Town and from there to Bridgeport. Huge, wide open country. (Hay's St. Cafe in Bridgeport serves a mean breakfast.)

Have fun!

I'm up in Mammoth right now. I have a pretty good collection of tracks for the area. If you PM me you're email address I'll send them when I get back home next weekend. Rode to Bodie yesterday. Great ride and the weather was perfect

The Visitors Center by the New Shady Rest Campground in Mammoth has free maps and maps for purchase that cover much of the area.

Lots of trails east of Crowley......some deep sand in places.......

There are also some fun trails just south of the gas station/store in the town of Crowley Lake. Fun play area with a few miles of trails.....most are dead ends/out and back.......but still fun

One of the loops on my ride this weekend drops down from Mammoth to Convict Lake/Tom's Place/Crowley then wraps back up to Mammoth on the eastern side of 395..

You might want to head up to Mammoth Thursday-Sat evening. Some good acts at the Bluesapalooza this year: http://www.mammothbluesbrewsfest.com/schedule

Rode to Bodie yesterday. Great ride and the weather was perfect

Did you ride across Larkin Lake and/or go over/through the old Train Trestle on the way up? Or did you guys take the RZR?

Nice thanks Wildwood!

We did the trail that connects Mammoth to June Lake loop. Lot of fun with lots of sand. You end up across the street from the Shell station at 395 and 158. Then from the Shell station you can cross 395 and there are some really nice gravel roads as well as some really sandy ones that follow the pole line. Crater loop is a nice ride. (I think you could ride all the way to Mono Lake from there if you didn't get tired of the sand.)

At the other end of 158 (June Lake loop) there are some cool mountainous rides; mostly good fire roads. Some go almost all the way up to Tioga pass. They begin across 158 from Grant Lake.

There are also dirt routes into Bodie Ghost Town and from there to Bridgeport. Huge, wide open country. (Hay's St. Cafe in Bridgeport serves a mean breakfast.)

Have fun!

Thanks Honda 90!

The Visitors Center by the New Shady Rest Campground in Mammoth has free maps and maps for purchase that cover much of the area.
Lots of trails east of Crowley......some deep sand in places.......
There are also some fun trails just south of the gas station/store in the town of Crowley Lake. Fun play area with a few miles of trails.....most are dead ends/out and back.......but still fun
One of the loops on my ride this weekend drops down from Mammoth to Convict Lake/Tom's Place/Crowley then wraps back up to Mammoth on the eastern side of 395..
You might want to head up to Mammoth Thursday-Sat evening. Some good acts at the Bluesapalooza this year: http://www.mammothbluesbrewsfest.com/schedule

Nice thanks Crawdaddy!-think i saw you on ADV rider also-great info!

I'm up in Mammoth right now. I have a pretty good collection of tracks for the area. If you PM me you're email address I'll send them when I get back home next weekend. Rode to Bodie yesterday. Great ride and the weather was perfect

Thanks Blue-i am actually researching the best GPS out there as i dont have one yet-i know i need one ive just been procrastinating but now the search is on!

In your opinion what is the best unit out there?

Also, the Sierra Nevada Scenic Byways....50 Backcountry routes of the Sierra Nevada is a GREAT book...a must have for exploring up there...see my last multi-day ride report for book link.

Thanks Blue-i am actually researching the best GPS out there as i dont have one yet-i know i need one ive just been procrastinating but now the search is on!

Save some money and find a used Garmin 76cx on EBay.........a new Garmin Montana will set you back ~$500

Also, the Sierra Nevada Scenic Byways....50 Backcountry routes of the Sierra Nevada is a GREAT book...a must have for exploring up there...see my last multi-day ride report for book link.

Will do-sounds like theres a lot of good info out there-im suprised by all the comments about Sand?

Save some money and find a used Garmin 76cx on EBay.........a new Garmin Montana will set you back ~$500

Thanks Blue-the Montana appears to be the cadillac from all the other suggestions ive heard-im a little wary buying old stuff-so you think the 76cx is just as capable as the Montana?

I will look into a new one of either one of these and do some comparing. Thanks for the suggestion!

What sand ?...and its more volcanic ash than sand, which is actually worse than sand.

But it depends on the rider...I've ridden a lot of the trails up there on my 950.

If u can ride in the desert...u can ride around mammoth.

What sand ?...and its more volcanic ash than sand, which is actually worse than sand.

But it depends on the rider...I've ridden a lot of the trails up there on my 950.

If u can ride in the desert...u can ride around mammoth.

Got it-i forgot about the pumice.

Im fine with it im a little nervous about the wife.

+1

I got a new GPSMap 78 off Ebay for under $150. Works fine, love it. Good ports for hard wiring it to the bike.

+1

I got a new GPSMap 78 off Ebay for under $150. Works fine, love it. Good ports for hard wiring it to the bike.

I'd take a 76 over a 78 if you can find one......both capable units......78 is newer/flashier but the 76 is a bit more user/dual sport friendly (in my mind)..........though I'm admittedly partial to the 60/76 series......

+1

I'd take a 76 over a 78 if you can find one......both capable units......78 is newer/flashier but the 76 is a bit more user/dual sport friendly (in my mind)..........though I'm admittedly partial to the 60/76 series......

ive heard good things about Montana 600 series-i know its pricey but im cool with it-however-is it overkill?-too many gadgets for a more minimalist old skool guy like me?-can it be hard wired?

THanks i really appreciate the responses!

I have garmin 62s atfirst i was thinking the little screen will never work and i cant see anything. Last 2 trips i did i relied mostly on it and couldnt be happier. I just use it for following tracks and storing tracks works perfect for that. It can be hard wired but i use it on multiple bikes so not worth it. Just get a set up reusable batteries off amazon with charger will last all day on a set no problems

I have garmin 62s atfirst i was thinking the little screen will never work and i cant see anything. Last 2 trips i did i relied mostly on it and couldnt be happier. I just use it for following tracks and storing tracks works perfect for that. It can be hard wired but i use it on multiple bikes so not worth it. Just get a set up reusable batteries off amazon with charger will last all day on a set no problems

Sounds good-im thinking im only gonna use it on my bike and we plan to camp and ride for days at a time so i like the idea of the hardwire and no need to carry/charge batteries. Thanks for the input-quick question is the 600 series the same as the 62s youre talking about?

Thanks Bp619

Rode to Bodie yesterday. Great ride and the weather was perfect

Did you ride across Larkin Lake and/or go over/through the old Train Trestle on the way up? Or did you guys take the RZR?

We rode up the rail road grade halfway and cut over to the Aurora Bodie road to meet some others at the picnic area in Bodie. On dual sports. Didn't bring the rzr. They are working on hwy 395 just north of Lee Vining so you should expect up to a 20 minute delay where they have it closed down to 1 lane. No big deal. The thunderheads are rolling in this afternoon. Maybe we'll get a little rain to wet the the trails down!

+1

ive heard good things about Montana 600 series-i know its pricey but im cool with it-however-is it overkill?-too many gadgets for a more minimalist old skool guy like me?-can it be hard wired?

THanks i really appreciate the responses!

I use s Montana and love it. Big, readable screen. Holds lots of tracks and maps - topio. City Nav, etc. I have it hard wired to the bike.. Highly recommend!