Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

MT-21 or Maxxis desert rears?

Gonna need a new rear in a few weeks. Typically my goto setup for years has been MT21 front and D606 rear. I have a D606 that's about toast. I went with the 606 because I used to rack up pavement miles. Now I really don't have that problem, so I'm looking at a more dirt performance tire. I tghought the MT21 fronts I used performed pretty well, but never ran a rear. Any reason to run away?

I may still do short stints on the road to connect trails and link up. Maybe max 20 miles a shot. How would a maxxis desert it hold up? I would assume this would be the better performing dirt tire. Would the pavement just tear these up?

Going on an ATK 605, about 300 lbs, and will be doing some D38 races after the summer break.

I've been running the Maxxis Desert IT on my 530 for almost a year now. I absolutely love this tire for off-road...and it performs well on the road. It is wearing slowly, which is another benefit, but it's not DOT, if that matters to you.

As for the MT21...I just don't care for Pirelli motocycle tires. This is based on the couple different tires I've tried over the years and I didn't care for the handling of any of them.

I'm running kenda parker dt fronts that I love and dot doesn't hurt, and maxxis desert in rears cause kenda were out of stock great combo. Kenda is super cheap too and holding up very well for a desert dot tire. Maxxis rear is awesome though

I was an MT 21 guy for a few years until I noticed that KUg had the same tire on his bike almost all year long. Switched to the Maxxis Desert IT that he was using and will never go back to the MT 21. I'd only get about 3 rides out of an MT 21 and go 3 or four times longer with the Maxxis and it gets better traction.

CiD

I've run several Maxis Desert IT's and really like them.

Recently switched to the Dunlop AT81RC and love it. Superior traction to the Maxis. Tracks much straighter in the sand when I nail it.

I got 2 district 38 races and about 10-12 local rides out of one. That's a lot for me. About the same lifespan as a Maxis.

i have run used RACE TAKE OFFS . yes, used maxxis desert IT tires on the rear of my crf 450 at corral canyon(rocky terain) . great traction really holds up well in the corners. they have to be good to be able to pass them on ..

im the type of rider that slides into the corner and powers out to key up with my holeshot.. and the IT is the only tire i really feel comfortable pushing like that . i use the d606 on my plated 610cc husky because its such a powerful beast and really enjoy it but the knobs do get ripped from their foundation.

i did have a slip up with the rear IT it cost me alot of time and money. and pain... but that was my fault i was powering around a corner 'in the ZONE' and a 1/2 buried 5 inch rock hit my rear tire and spun me out a little . but immediatly hooked up and over the perimiter fence i went .. moral to the story.. dont ride like i do.