Mr Moto

advance on selling a used motorcycle needed

Any advice on selling a used motorcycle would be appreciated-

When someone asks to test ride, do you hold the drivers' license so if they never return you got something?
What if they crash- do you get cash in advance?
What to do so no one rips off your stuff in the garage? Do you just meet them somewhere other than you house?

Do you prefer Craig's List, Cycle Trader or some other means?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Make sure your insurance covers "other drivers."

Make sure they have a motorcycle endorsement on their license - unless it's dirt only of course. Hold their license.

There's no harm in asking to hold the cash, either. You're giving them your bike, fair trade.

Your garage - keep it closed and/or don't leave them alone in it if you feel concerned.

CL or CT or.... do a good phone interview with them first. You won't weed out all the flakes but it helps.

Make sure you complete the Release of Liability, make a copy for yourself and mail it to DMV. I had a lawyer from Vegas call me with threats of a lawsuit since the guy I sold my car to never got it registered it in his name. He was at fault in an accident and the car was still registered to me. Once I told the attorney they didn't have a case and that I turned in the RoL, they went away.

Agreed talk to them on phone to get good vibes. I don't allow test drives without cash in hand. Post on here first for a week or so then go to Craigslist

I like to meet in a very public place, and not bring them to the house. Cash in hand for test rides. Where you sell depends on the type of bike. I have good luck with Craigslist, but if I were selling a GS or KTM twin, I'd put it on ADVRider.

Had good luck selling my DR650 on ADV. Easy to look at interested parties posts to see if you want to do business with them. There's a high probability of dealing with fly & rides or shipping, but not a problem for the right sale. Also, just be smart about the place and buyer. With cash floating around, consider having a buddy with you. I get to legally carry a lot of little friends.

Agreed talk to them on phone to get good vibes. I don't allow test drives without cash in hand. Post on here first for a week or so then go to Craigslist

^^^^THAT^^^^

Especially the good vibes thing.

Tip: you can turn in the release of interest on line, keep a dated hard copy! The DMV likes to say the release of interest forms go in a big box and often don't get processed until the vehicle is registered again.

Tip: you can turn in the release of interest on line, keep a dated hard copy! The DMV likes to say the release of interest forms go in a big box and often don't get processed until the vehicle is registered again.

Good advise. I also like to keep a copy of their drivers license as well. When I sold my truck, the buyer got caught on a red-light cam before reregistering it. I had to send in a copy of the release form and drivers license (with pic matching the red-light cam) to have it fixed.

I don't list anything on CL until it's had a long soak here and on ADVrider (in that order.) I'd prefer to sell to another enthusiast that's been somewhat vetted online. It's easy to go back through old posts to see what kind of person they are, at least online. :) I have bought and sold long distance without issue, but only after phone chats, email exchanges and backstory analysis. Avoid Cycletrader, IMO. Tons of scams.

Depending on the type of bike, you could probably sell it by word of mouth.

I don't list anything on CL until it's had a long soak here and on ADVrider (in that order.) I'd prefer to sell to another enthusiast that's been somewhat vetted online. It's easy to go back through old posts to see what kind of person they are, at least online. :) I have bought and sold long distance without issue, but only after phone chats, email exchanges and backstory analysis. Avoid Cycletrader, IMO. Tons of scams.

Depending on the type of bike, you could probably sell it by word of mouth.

most used bikes I've purchased came from SDAR or other friends that I knew. It's worth it to me to trust the person, and not believe I'm buying a problem bike.

SDAR, Advrider and thumpertalk (probably ktmtalk and other such forums) are a good place to get a feel for a person.

For instance... If I was selling a KTM, and a certain SDAR person was inquiring, I would KNOW it was a waste of time and move on to other buyers

If I go on advrider to sell, and a guy has 2 posts, and both are inflammatory, I'll not respond

etc. I give (I think) generous SDAR discounts because it's worth it to me

craiglist example... when I sold my XRL... listed here first, then on CL... for WAY less than market value. $1700... some guy calls up and offers $1500... "no... $1700 is a killer deal. I just need it gone to finance my wr450"

"well I have to drive all the way down for Orange County, so can you knock $100 off?"

"well< check Orange County Craigslist, and you'll see I already took WAY more than that off... sorry; not negotiable"

I finally sold for that price to an SDAR member... while I was in Florida... told him my wife would leave the garage door unlocked; just leave the cash on the work bench... lol... try THAT on craiglist!

Good luck with ADVrider selling Adventure and Dualsport bikes. They guys are willing to pay for value. The Fireman that bought my 350 said he did not want to insult me by knocking down my $$ considering the bike and gear included. I believe it is cultural; some think it is not a good deal unless they take a bit of flesh. That said, you always need to allow a little room in your price so the guy feels like he got something even if he knows it is a fair deal.

One Seller's Opinion - Good Luck

P.S. Good advice on this thread