kato

advice on a loop through BB, tehachapi, Barstow, Yucca

I have a meeting to attend at woodward in tehachapi this saturday and so I'm thinking why not ride the bike up there and loop/camp around. So i ve gathered tracks here and there (mostly gps exchange and dualsportmaps) and butchered it all in basecamp the best I could to put it all in my phone as a backup.

I ll be riding alone on this one so would love to hear from people who know the various areas and can advise me on those routes. specifically around bigbear and also the part in between Anza and Banning. well anywhere really. thanks.

MAP

ps: if anyone feels like going for a lil' ride along Pm me. I'm leaving thursday and probably back monday. yeeea!

I've done that ride to Big Bear from SD and Ramona a few times now - it's a great ride! Heads up on the "74 to Banning" track as it doesn't go all the way through to Old Idyllwild Rd iirc as there is a Reservation blocking the trail. It loops you back towards the 371 and then you can catch Old Idyllwild Rd or just slab down the twisty grade into Banning. Look up the track that takes you on road via Oak Glenn, it's a scenic tour and much better than blasting the 10 West imho.

In Big Bear, the red track that leads towards Angelus Oaks is a horse/mtn bike trail (I think??). The blue one should go through however and once you hit AO, you go east on the 38 for a few hundred feet and hit dirt again at Middle Control. Go up Clarke's Grade and you'll be onto the ridge and you can soon see the lake. Wait, you're going in a few days - the top trail up Clarke's may be closed seasonally due to snow - double check that first!

Here are some quick ride reports.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16392-a-tdub-and-bboyle9-make-it-to-big-bear/

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15823-beach-to-big-bear-is-a-success/

editing in BaseCamp isn't ideal. DualSportMaps.com was the shizz when it was up and running but it's been killed :dead: . Man, I could really draw up some great tracks with DSM.com - I would pay for it now!

Kato, check this thread for editing options http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17927-ride-with-gps-a-website/

sorry i had the wrong map linked at first Tim, I edited it check again plz. thanks for the headsup about bigbear, weather looking good this weekend but i will see about trail closures, is there a website showing that? or a good number to call?

sorry i had the wrong map linked at first Tim, I edited it check again plz. thanks for the headsup about bigbear, weather looking good this weekend but i will see about trail closures

Copy.

I know of (or have rode some of) the trails you're taking east of the 395 as I drew many of them for the Ride to DV that didn't happen - you have yourself a bitchen ride planned!

trails you're taking east of the 395

might have to pack a couple soda-gasolina bottles for that part.

those tracks i got from the Statewide Motorized Trail System on gpsxchange, its dez tho so I'll be less worry about following exact tracks there than i will be in bigbear.

might have to pack a couple soda-gasolina bottles for that part.

those tracks i got from the Statewide Motorized Trail System on gpsxchange, its dez tho so I'll be less worry about following exact tracks there than i will be in bigbear.

If you look at Google Earth you'll see LOTS of trails in the high desert. Many look to be large "fire road" graded type trails that you can haul the mail on - some are of course more technical and some are downright nasty but there are lots of big dirt trails to cover some ground on.

yep thas what im sayin. in no hurry to get back home so probly will avoid the desert avenues

I have a meeting to attend at woodward in tehachapi this saturday and so I'm thinking why not ride the bike up there and loop/camp around. So i ve gathered tracks here and there (mostly gps exchange and dualsportmaps) and butchered it all in basecamp the best I could to put it all in my phone as a backup.

I ll be riding alone on this one so would love to hear from people who know the various areas and can advise me on those routes. specifically around bigbear and also the part in between Anza and Banning. well anywhere really. thanks.

MAP

ps: if anyone feels like going for a lil' ride along Pm me. I'm leaving thursday and probably back monday. yeeea!

Well that is a LOOP. I like to do some like this in the future for a week or two.

Well that is a LOOP.

:smile_anim:

Wait, you're going in a few days - the top trail up Clarke's may be closed seasonally due to snow - double check that first!

thanks for the headsup Tim you're right those trails are closed.. Clarke, Radford, Skyline.. I edited my map

Most of this is based on the last time I tried this, which was July 2013.

South of Neenach, your route from Pine Canyon Road to Lake Hughes was closed two years ago due to the Powerhouse fire, as well as your route from Lake Hughes to San Francisquito Canyon Road. If it is open you should really start this portion from Sandburg and the Old Ridge Route. This is some of my favorite dual sport route, but I don't expect it to be back open yet.

Your route from Bouquet Canyon Road to Sierra Highway is open, and is in fact where we just did the enduro, along quite a bit of your route.

The Soledad Canyon Road- Angeles Forest Highway section was closed due to fire damage 2 years ago. as is the Angeles Forest Highway- Angeles Crest Highway. It may have been reopened, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cleghorn Road / Ridge is better than droning along 138 at that point. It is a good route.

You have a bunch of stuff I will be waiting on a report about.

PM "Bitwrench" he lives up there and is a wealth of knowledge about the trails

Most of this is based on the last time I tried this, which was July 2013.

South of Neenach, your route from Pine Canyon Road to Lake Hughes was closed two years ago due to the Powerhouse fire, as well as your route from Lake Hughes to San Francisquito Canyon Road. If it is open you should really start this portion from Sandburg and the Old Ridge Route. This is some of my favorite dual sport route, but I don't expect it to be back open yet.

Your route from Bouquet Canyon Road to Sierra Highway is open, and is in fact where we just did the enduro, along quite a bit of your route.

The Soledad Canyon Road- Angeles Forest Highway section was closed due to fire damage 2 years ago. as is the Angeles Forest Highway- Angeles Crest Highway. It may have been reopened, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cleghorn Road / Ridge is better than droning along 138 at that point. It is a good route.

You have a bunch of stuff I will be waiting on a report about.

thank you. you are correct the powerhouse closure is still in effect so i will have to improvise something on the fly. the 2 looks like its open though, if not I ll wing it straight up to palmdale and figure something out probly, or maybe along the west side of 395 (blm?) and cut west through mojave at some point.

added Cleghorn, thanks again!!

Two 10-12h days so far, 'bout 500miles, going great feels good just winging it around and enjoying the beautiful land. Stocked. Cant wait to be back on the bike tomorrow for the long way home

CAM01389_zpsef3a616e.jpg