Dan Diego

Drinking and talking about big KTMs

I know.

I'll no longer be feared and respected because of my gruff exterior.

Now you did it.....

No worries, your name came up.

"You know, Bob is damn good guy."

"Oh, hell. yeah. But just don't let him know I said that."

"Oh, no way. I wouldn't put it in writing."

Now you did it.....

No worries, your name came up.

"You know, Bob is damn good guy."

"Oh, hell. yeah. But just don't let him know I said that."

"Oh, no way. I wouldn't put it in writing."

And Brian Williams was shot down by an rpg.

Lies, all lies. You misremembered.

A couple of us SDAR types are planning to install the high fender kits on our 950/990s. Likely next weekend.

The 990 process looks easy peasy; the 9 fiddy looks a little more complicated due to the brake lines.

Before we begin, any advice, mockery, comments, etc.?

A couple of us SDAR types are planning to install the high fender kits on our 950/990s. Likely next weekend.

The 990 process looks easy peasy; the 9 fiddy looks a little more complicated due to the brake lines.

Real 950's come with high fenders.....:)

So speaking of 990's, there are a lot for sale with upwards of 20,000 miles on them. I know a lot depends on how hard it was used/maintained, but any experience on when you should have the motor gone through...I am actually contemplating adding big bike for longer hauls. (I have a motorcycle sickness and need to be in a 12 step program).

20k is probably perfect for a used bike. The bikes (if cared for and water pump seals maintained/replaced) are good for eleventybillion miles. It's not like a single that needs a top end every 100-200 hours.

Going to a 9xx is like graduating from cocaine to speedballs (at least, so I'm told) and will see your addiction and raise you many more.

Real 950's come with high fenders.....:)

And so it begins....

I'll get to work on the mockery.

The 950 has the brake lines, which I understand need to be fabricated. The 990 will cause you to fidget with the front ABS senderholder to get the fork guards to fit as best they can. Just cut off what you don't need- I used a dremel- then smooth with some emery cloth- make it nice, or you will hear about it on your next inspection, Dan.

You need to drill an extra hole in the fork guard (if you're using the most-popular guards from an 85) and hog out the rearmost hole (take your best shot there) into a C shape for the aftmost bolt. Looks a little wonky, but has proven bulletproof.

Be VERY careful with routing the brakelines on the inside of the fork, and stick some sort of sacrificial protection to the inside of the forkleg (I used numberplate sticker material- cheap and tough) where the brakelines will, and should, rub.

I found a nice 990 Baja, looks pretty clean...and looks like it has lived a nice easy, garaged life so far...mostly stock. (It makes me weak in the knees).

I found a nice 990 Baja, looks pretty clean...and looks like it has lived a nice easy, garaged life so far...mostly stock. (It makes me weak in the knees).

If it still has the Dunlop 908s yank them and give them to Arfy. They're nearly unstable on the 990. Pro tip: The Mitas E07 is my favorite after trying several.

I'm enjoying and appreciating the mockery and cocaine comments.

Thanks for the info on the high fender install. The 990 should go easy; the 950 may give us a little grief.

In case you have trouble with the beer drinking part...

beertt.gif

Damn...you guys are hilarious...