dylanewilliams

First Trials Bike?

I am really desiring to improve my offroad skills, and would like to get a trials bike to do it. Any input would be appreciated.

I have ridden extensively on road, significantly off road on a 1100GS and 1200GSA and a little bit on a YZ250. I really enjoy the offroad riding on the GSA, but I would like to be able to do more technical riding and really understand the fundamentals. I feel like slowly working through maneuvers on a trials bike would be the best way to get there.

Any suggestions on what I should look for and what I should pay? In terms of my budget, $3,000 could be doable in the near term, $5000 maybe early next year, and much over that I would probably try to rent a bike and make sure I really enjoyed it before committing that kind of money. I really like the idea of a light, low seat bike like the gasgas pro, but these seam to be rare unless you buy new.

I am 6'5", 250 lbs if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the input!

I will throw in my 2 cents so take for what its worth not much.

I know lots of people who own or owned a trials bike. Almost all tend to hardly ride them because they don't have buds who have one.

At your size, i would suggest a ktm 300xcw. You can find them used for 3k or less and they are bomb proof and cheap to own. It will feel like a trials bike compared to your GS and have a better engine for enduro hard riding than a yz250. You will have a lot more riding opportunities on this bike and meet a lot more people and will be amazed at the stupid stunts you can pull on a 300.

Just my opinion. Trials bikes are cool but be realistic about how much you will use it vs an enduro.

While I to would like a trials bike that is sound advice.

I happen to have a great trials practice area on my property so I'm leaning the other way.

Drawn to the Ossa Explorer myself. Kind of a trials set up, but with a seat. Not as single purpose. Fun poke around bike but with the steering rake, I wouldn't try bombin' whoops. :)

I like my underpowered low tech DR-Z250 and they pop up for $1500 - $2K. Actually have good suspension, low 1st and 2nd but also a 6 speed.

Da Ossa

explorer_2014_03_low.jpg

explorer_2014_02_low.jpg

I wouldn't go full in on buying a trials bike ive riden alot offroad bought a gas gas 300pro last year only rode it two times does help with skills but with bad skills takes way too much effort to ride. I would recommend a 250 2 stroke for a guy your size im knly 15lbs shy of you and they scoot my around pretty quick. I would really recommend taking a training class at motoventures with gary definately the 2 day class very helpful and could extend extra and ride one of his trials bikes.

The great thing about a trials bike is you don't need a lot of room to ride it and an hour here and there just doing simple trials skill set will improve your abilities, just look at who wins the Red Bull extreme endures and the Romaniacs races. That Ossa is very cool. my ride is a '92 TYZ 250 old but fun as hell in the rocks.

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking maybe the Motoventures class is a good place to start.

You are on the right track, Motoventures can help you. I would recommend a couple of classes with them. Ask them when they are going to have the big bike class and take your GSA. They will teach you how to maneuver that big boy. Then you can test drive a trials bike and see if you like it without spending the own the bike money. You might find that you just like the GSA or might buy a skinny dirt bike for the trails. What ever you do you will not go wrong by going to Motoventure to polish your skills.

I have a Gas Gas 280 Pro that I could be talked into selling.

CID

How much? You can PM me if you prefer.