Sign in to follow this  
carguy

Christmas Eve ride

Been a while since I posted a ride. Been kinda busy.

I want to explore some areas of the desert near Ocotillo. No set route just some exploring. There is always somewhere to ride if the explore route bust.

Early at Ocotillo Texaco??? <_<

Any takers??? :D

You know I would not miss it if I could be there. I will be out of town for the hollidays. Have a great ride. :) Ken

Unless it rains I'm up for this ride. What are you thinking about miles wise?

I'm new to this site. As you get more info will you post it under this thread?

The plan is 24 Dec 2007, Christmas Eve.

Pray for rain, it makes the desert more fun.

Mileage 70-150, just some exploration. We can bail out anytime.

I have to work this weekend and need some dirt time. I will go even if no one shows. :)

There will be some wash sand for Alex.

Well what time would you want to start in the morning? I might be able to go on Monday if it's not too early in the morning(not a morning person here...). I think you could count me in, that is, if you don't mind riding with some noob on a 200cc lol. Is there at least one gas stop along the route because 150 miles is probably more than my bike will go with the 1.8 gallon fuel tank...although I guess I could always carry another gallon if required. I have been dying to get back out to Ocotillo forever now(been there with Jeeps a few times). Oh and how familiar are you with the trails in that area, because I know I wouldn't trust myself out there without a good map and a preconcieved route!

Well what time would you want to start in the morning? I might be able to go on Monday if it's not too early in the morning(not a morning person here...). I think you could count me in, that is, if you don't mind riding with some noob on a 200cc lol. Is there at least one gas stop along the route because 150 miles is probably more than my bike will go with the 1.8 gallon fuel tank...although I guess I could always carry another gallon if required. I have been dying to get back out to Ocotillo forever now(been there with Jeeps a few times). Oh and how familiar are you with the trails in that area, because I know I wouldn't trust myself out there without a good map and a preconcieved route!

KJ7687 first off welcome, I look forward to riding with you (but I won't make this ride). You may be thinking of Ocotillo Wells instead of Ocotillo. I wouldn't worry about gas, if Alex is going you will have more range than he will have. As far as the trails in the area, there is no one on the planet I would be more comfortable following out there than Carguy. It is a great area and you will be in good company. Have fun, :D Ken

Ok 8 AM, Ocotillo, I-8 at the Evan Hues Hwy. Ocotillo exit. Turn Right to the Texaco. Large lot on the right. I'll be there ready to go at 8AM. Wouldn't want to waste a good day. We shall go as far as the smallest gas tank allows.:lol:

I do know the area, however I will explore some new trails. :D:lol:

I'd love to go on the ride but I got free tickets to the Chargers monday night game for me and my son. Have fun out there.

Papaalex will be there, and my gas range is about 80-85...should be fun...may be, I'll perform another mysteriese crash and it will get well documented.

papa.

Papaalex will be there, and my gas range is about 80-85...should be fun...may be, I'll perform another mysteriese crash and it will get well documented.

papa.

Hahaha....next time I go on a ride with you, just alert me to spot where you will be performing one of your amazing feats of daring-do, and I will rush ahead of you to that spot and be waiting with my camera ;):(:D

I really wish I could make this ride dude . . .

If the weather sux in Mammoth,

maybe I'll come home early. ;)

Have fun out there ya'll !

Hey thanks for the info Ken. I was indeed thinking of Ocotillo Wells. I just now learned there is also an Ocotillo,CA ;) I have a couple more questions, as I've never been on any ride longer than about 2 hours before. Is there anything I should bring besides some food and water(and maybe a little tp...) in a backpack? Are there any sections that would probably be too difficult for a somewhat-beginner rider? Guess there's only one way to find out?? Also if we start at 8 AM, about what time might we be back at the gas station? Because I would really like to get back home by dark(2 and a half hour ride to my house from Ocotillo). ACTUALLY IT TURNED OUT TO BE CLOSER TO A 4 HOUR RIDE! A YAMAHA TW IS THE SLOWEST MOTORBIKE ON THE PLANET HAHAHA I LOVE IT THOUGH.

Oh yes and I know on the street at 60 mph I can go about 140 miles on a full tank. So off road probably more like 90-100 miles?

I've had to go to reserve at 88 miles on my TW... you could probably get 100 if you are easy on the throttle.

Just to be sure I know where to meet. Is the Texaco on the South side of the 8?

Looking forward to riding with you all.

Just to be sure I know where to meet. Is the Texaco on the South side of the 8?

Looking forward to riding with you all.

The Texaco is 150 yards south of the freeway. Meet at the dirt lot just this side of there. Have fun. :huh: Ken

hey carguy i'm gonna be there with 2 others. We're leaving san carlos at 6:45. Plan to arrive at ocatillo at 7:55. got a new maxxis desert tire mounted (was a real PITA) and am ready to roll :huh::D

Sorry, I'm out!

Last part of ride today landed on rock, thought I broke my femur at first, just going to be a real bad bruise, already swollen. ICE-ICE-ICE

Next time tighten down stabilizer.

Look forward to meeting you all on the next ride.

walker1

Sorry, I'm out!

Last part of ride today landed on rock, thought I broke my femur at first, just going to be a real bad bruise, already swollen. ICE-ICE-ICE

Next time tighten down stabilizer.

Look forward to meeting you all on the next ride.

walker1

Glad to hear you're ok - well not ok I guess, but at least it's not broken!

Sorry guys,

My plans changed and I can not make this one...Don't wait for me...Have a safe fun ride and see you on a next one. Happy hollidays to everybody!!! :huh:

Alex.

Hey guys this was an awesome ride(except for the ktm crapping out...that sucked, hope he can get it fixed)! I got home at 7:45, which made it about 15 hours from when I left my house in the morning to when I got back :huh: It was definitely worth it. I look forward to riding with you all again. Merry Christmas!