CL300CAPT

Chain question

I've got my back wheel off to change tires when I notice how stiff my chain is. I clean and lube it regularly, so I'm surprised how stiff it is. The links do move, but they take some force. This is my first bike with an O ring chain, so maybe that's why I'm not used to seeing such resistance on one?

As usual, all advice aand input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Ive found that digging a big huge hole in the sand with your rear tire helps with chain maintenance.

Its like getting your chain sand blasted for free.

I mean huge hole...so deep your bike ought to stand up by itself when done.(extra points if your buddy is behind you trying to trying to kick start his bike)

Then take it home and throw half a shot of PJ-1 (chain lube) on it ..

It should not be that difficult to move links. How much use on it??

It should not be that difficult to move links. How much use on it??

About 5,500 miles or so. It's the original OEM chain.

Time for a new chain buddy. If you need help, I have a chain tool.

Time for a new chain buddy. If you need help, I have a chain tool.

Thanks. Might take you up on that. Seems the common wisdom is to change the sprockets, same time with the chain. Might show virtually no wear. What say you?

O ring chains are stiff.If you are getting rusty colored links then your chain is on on its way out.Once it starts it goes fast

O ring chains are stiff.If you are getting rusty colored links then your chain is on on its way out.Once it starts it goes fast

Yes, it does.

Charlie, if you are adjusting it a lot, that is another sign it needs to be changed out.

Definitely change at least the back sprocket. If you plan on doing a lot of dual sport (i.e. dirt), than go with a Supersprox. They are a hybrid sprocket that is light, but last long

O ring chains are stiffer then the standard motorcycle chains. You can check for wear by pulling back on the chain in the middle of the rear sprocket.. if theres 1/2 inch of play or more in between there and the chain then ya prolly time for the new chain and sprocket kit.

It's nice of Oralcle to offer helpin replacing the chain for you...

I'd definitly take him up on it. The cost of just the labor at some shops is almost the cost of chain & sprocket kit.!

Great job keeping your bike maintained.

Charlie - odd...my DR650 stock chain has 13K on it and it still moves well and measures within spec pin to pin per the manual. Probably starting an oil or tire discussion here but - and this is a general question for the brain trust cuz I don't know - can someone use the wrong cleaning solution and swell the o-rings to where they affect movement?

Is it kinking and staying kinked?

stiff Oring chain is better than sloppy loose one. I'd keep using it if the sprockets are still good, the chain probably is still good also.

The chain hasn't stretched hardly at all. I adjust it as per the Suzuki Shop Manual and the adjusters are in the same position as new. I tend think the chain is still good, just needs a good cleaning and lube. The sprockets show virtually no wear either.

Another can of worms; what am I looking for to determine chain guide wear?

Charlie - odd...my DR650 stock chain has 13K on it and it still moves well and measures within spec pin to pin per the manual. Probably starting an oil or tire discussion here but - and this is a general question for the brain trust cuz I don't know - can someone use the wrong cleaning solution and swell the o-rings to where they affect movement?

Not really kinking or staying kinked, just very stiff. Last time I rode the bike I coasted down the street in neutral with the engine off and it seemed to cost just fine. No noises or excessive drag.

Not really kinking or staying kinked, just very stiff. Last time I rode the bike I coasted down the street in neutral with the engine off and it seemed to cost just fine. No noises or excessive drag.

When the chain is warm they run smooth. Cold they are stiff.

Clean your Oring chain with WD40. Clean it after every other fuel up. It will last a lot longer.

http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf

Really? That's interesting. I suppose as a cleaner it might work well, but I've read as a lube it's not good.

The WD stands for Water Displacement I seem to remember.

A Oring chain is lubed inside upon assembly. The WD40 cleans the outside only. It is not a lube but keeping the chain clean on the outside reduces wear. See link above by Wattman.