Oracle

Completely dissapointed with Spot customer service

I've been wanting a Spot for some time now and figured with Bar 10 coming up, now was the time, especially since they had a $50 rebate on the new Spot 3. So I purchased one from Amazon.com on 09/02/14, which was the last day to qualify for the rebate.

Unfortunately, the Spot would not power on. I tried different sets of batteries and the USB connection without luck. I contacted Spot and advised them of the problem. My first request was that they send me a new unit right away and I'll return the non-working unit. They advised me that I would need to return the broken unit directly to Amazon and that they would not send out a replacement unless I made a new purchase from them.

Well, I know Amazon is super easy to return products so I agreed that I would send my unit back to Amazon (and ultimately get a refund) and that I would purchase a new unit directly from Spot. Well, now the rebate had expired because it was after 09/02/14. When I asked if they would still honor the rebate, they refused and said there was nothing they could do about. I also asked that they sell me a new one for $149.95, which is the same price as almost every authorized retailer out there (there on site price is $169). Again, they refused.

So I get a unit that doesn't work, Spot won't honor the rebate, and they won't be competitive on the price of their products. I just don't know how a business that treats customers like that survives in this market. Which actually explains why I do business with retailers like Amazon, who will bend over backwards to make you a happy customer.

....ok, I feel better...Anyone else have issues with Spot customer service/products???

Silly question but how long you holding the power button for? I thought mine was broke too, but realized you have to hold it for an oddly long time to get it to power up..

My .02

I had to battle a little with them when upgrading from a 1 to a 2 about coverage transferring on my current account. It took way more 'splainin' than it should and a "let me talk to your supervisor" before it resolved. Yeah, it could've gone better.

Ditto on the button hold.

Order new one from Amazon, return old one on new purchase, use original purchase receipt for rebate. Seems pretty straightforward. I don't think I've ever had a good experience with trying to call a vendor direct who typically sells through distribution (with the exception of Klim, they're awesome!) and since Amazon returns only take one day it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Order new one from Amazon, return old one on new purchase, use original purchase receipt for rebate.

This ^^^^

Although they should have handled it better.

Order new one from Amazon, return old one on new purchase, use original purchase receipt for rebate.

This ^^^^

Yeah, I thought of that. The problem being I opened up an account and registered the Spot 3 once I got it (before figuring out that it would not power up). So now I'll be forced to call them again with the new ESN....and that my friends is when using the 1st receipt will fail me.

I tried several (more than several) attempts to power the unit up...including hold the button down for anywhere from a brief push to 10 seconds or so....

This ^^^^

Yeah, I thought of that. The problem being I opened up an account and registered the Spot 3 once I got it (before figuring out that it would not power up). So now I'll be forced to call them again with the new ESN....and that my friends is when using the 1st receipt will fail me.

I tried several (more than several) attempts to power the unit up...including hold the button down for anywhere from a brief push to 10 seconds or so....

I have to use the point of my finger with my fingernail and push pretty hard and hold for at least 5 seconds. Also I know you said you tried different batteries but the units really like new lithium batteries best.

CiD

Copy that! I tried both Lithium and alkaline. When they didn't work, I bench test both sets of batteries to confirm they were strong.

I had trouble with them debiting my card way way way before it was due -like 7 months . Sorry to say I let my Spot go. I am thinking about a PLB, Sat Phone ,or some of the other trackers that are out their.