Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Where to buy Keihin Carb Rebuild Kits/Parts?

Where do you buy carb rebuild kits/parts? I'm specifically looking for Keihin carbs but any info would be appreciated.

My DRZ400E has been sitting for months and I'll be taking it on a multi-day trip soon. I'd like to order a nice rebuild kit and/or parts for a carb rebuild. I know I can piece together rebuild parts via OEM Suzuki parts catalogs but there must be a less expensive way.

Keihin's website is here: http://www.keihincarbs.com/home.html

I found this kit on ebay for $81 but it ships from the Netherlands...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-kit-4-Keihin-FCR-carburetor-Suzuki-DRZ-400-DR-Z400-repair-39-flatslide-/200981116358

I remember a SDAR member mentioning JD Jetting has some rebuild kits. I have an assortment of jets but I'm looking to replace any worn o-rings/seals/rubber and/or wear parts.

Any experience/recommendations?

Also, any recommended local carb/jetting guru shops?

I hear good things about Alan Fox in Alpine when it comes to jetting bikes. C&D in Kearny Mesa is good too.

Keihin-FCR-flatslide-carburetor-rebuild-

Thanks in advance for any info!

Buy in country, I like JD and used them quite a bit with great results. Try local shops, they have years of research at your finger tips.

What do you need done? Rebuild, re-jet, or ???

The bike has been sitting for over 6 months. I ran the carb dry but didn't crack the float bowl drain. It's currently at George's getting a suspension refresh then will go to Evan at RaceTech Electric to clean and sort out some wiring. New rear tire, possibly chain blocks and handlebar risers. I'll put 1,000 hard miles on the bike during my trip so I figure it's worth it to do a rebuild/refresh of the carb.

Realistically, I could turn the gas on and it might fire right up - it is a DRZ!!! but who knows... It needs a slight adjustment to run right (I think fuel screw would do the trick) but it may require a slight rejet as well.

I have an assortment of Keihin jets and am curious as to where to buy the rubber parts. Most of the internal stuff is probably stock - 14 years old. I have the rebuild/refresh bug and I'd rather have the parts in stock when the carb is apart vs waiting on parts to order & ship as I'm getting crunched on time.

Say, what do you know about carbs?

SUDCO

www.sudco.com

Thanks for the reply PbdBlue! I'll take a look at their site.

I always go to JD Jetting for Keihin carb rebuild supplies. They are great, and super helpful.

Buy in country, I like JD and used them quite a bit with great results. Try local shops, they have years of research at your finger tips.

Thanks for the positive feedback on JD guys. I like local shops too! I'll probably take my moto to one of them for the refresh but I'll be on a time crunch and I'd rather have the parts available for them so it's a quick turnaround.

Vanjoosten: JD's website sucks, I assume you call and order the parts over the phone? Also, I read somewhere that Keihin doesn't sell mid-body kits as they don't want people disassemblying the carb like that but aftermarket companies sell the midbody gaskets?

What do I know about carbs?

About as much as I know about anything else.

SUDCO

www.sudco.com

Thanks for the reply PbdBlue! I'll take a look at their site.

I always go to JD Jetting for Keihin carb rebuild supplies. They are great, and super helpful.

Thanks for the positive feedback on JD guys. I like local shops too! I'll probably take my moto to one of them for the refresh but I'll be on a time crunch and I'd rather have the parts available for them so it's a quick turnaround.

Vanjoosten: JD's website sucks, I assume you call and order the parts over the phone? Also, I read somewhere that Keihin doesn't sell mid-body kits as they don't want people disassemblying the carb like that but aftermarket companies sell the midbody gaskets?

JD is WAY old school, so yeah, it's best to call. They will spend time with you diagnosing and advising what the best solution is. They also have nice brass fuel adjustment screw/knobs, and do sell the mid body kits. I did a complete rebuild on the CRF and they were very helpful. Even included an updated accelerator pump kit at no cost.

Just jump on and go!

What's all this "prep the bike" talk...

You're getting soft...

I've rebuilt a few of those carbs and a couple that have been sitting up for years. The last one i did needed a new bowl gasket and the diaphragm for the accelerator pump. You should be able to get away with just cleaning everything up. I never found a rebuild kit for the ones I did normally had to buy individual parts which can be costly. If you do pull it apart do not spray the diaphragm with carb cleaner. It will eat it up quick.